Walking!

Starwarbler

I watched an interesting programme last evening bout diet and fitness. One expert explained that if you are carrying extra weight and walk regularly it is as good as going to the gym. It made good sense I have decided to start walking daily more than I do already. So today I will have a 30 minute walk to and I hope to do this every day. I need to treat myself to some good walking shoes!

I agree!

I love walking at this time of year. Especially when the leaves start to fall and there is a chill in the air. I've had to start leaving my dog at home as he's old and cant keep up with me any longer. Bless him! :classic_big_grin:

Ive just invested in a Samsung watch and part of it counts my steps, average work day im doing about 10,000 steps but im always tryng to increase and managed 18,000 the other day just with normal day to day stuff, and my Samsung health app on my phone allows me to incorporate that into my food diary and automatically adds it. Apart from anything else it just makes you more aware and on weekends and lazy days im very conscious if im not hitting my step goals xx

I believe 10,000 steps work out to be around 4-5 miles so makes me feel pretty good when i hit that, altho only managed 5,500 yesterday xx

Walking really helps me!

How much you lose for a given duration / pace obviously depends on what your 'carrying' in weight terms. The more of you there is to lug around, the more energy it takes - the same is true of pace - the faster you go, the more energy, and also the course, the more uphill, the more energy etc, so there isn't really a universal 'walk for x to lose y calories' etc, but the fitness trackers, especially those linked to your weight and heart rate will give you a good estimate.

According to my tracker, I walked off an extra 16,000 calories last month (I start a walking workout when I go out for a walk to track), which is around 4.5lbs, but the main benefit is I just feel much better and I'm sure it stops my metabolism slowing down.

Totally agree with u mark. I do find my Samsung watch is great as it allows u 2 input specific details, including height, weight, age and heart rate. It is a good motivator too as if I'm stationary for too long in prompts me to do some exercise xx

Back