WannabeSkinnyMinnie's Fat to Fab Diary 2013

Chinese food itself isnt fattening, depending on what you choose. There's lots of good steamed options, lots of great vegetables and you can easily make chinese stir frys yourself, you just leave out the cornflour or whatever they might use to thicken up the sauces. You just have to avoid things like prawn toasts and wontons (all my favourite things).

Haha ahh yes the twiglet sucking confession- that was also me! I actually feel crazy!

I guess it depends what you order from the chinese and how often you have it. I love beansprouts so often had chicken and beansprouts or just mixed veg. I've also copied some healthy stir fry recipes into my binder so I can make my own. Things to avoid are the sweet sauces and the battered things- so thats crossed out my fave sweet and sour chicken! And the rice! I'd have it as a treat though :) Don't want to never eat it again!

The trouble is with buying any food thats already cooked is you don't fully know what they've put in and how they've cooked it.

I will also be using MyFitnessPal to keep track of what I'm eating when maintaining.

I guess a typical day for me might be something like:

Porridge or poached egg on 1 slice of wholemeal bread for brekkie

Tuna/Chicken salad for lunch

Meat-fish, chicken with steamed veg. I'd prob use some sort of marinade to make this more exciting though.

I'll be eating foods that are low in net carbs.

That sounds excellent Hun, I like that. Need to get on Pinterest and start adding ideas and meals into my other diary. Iv never had a poached egg can you believe that! Xx

Oh really! I like poached eggs but prefer dippy egg and soldiers :D

I will be totally wholemeal- bread, pasta, rice, wraps etc when having to have these and will weigh everything properly!

I was also thinking like if I have fajitas or wraps for lunch wrapping the filling in lettuce leave instead of wrap wraps. Small changes here and there :)

Couple of months ago I changed my family's eating habits and we have had on,y whole meal bread here ever since. I have sometimes used frozen veg but have still kept up with the change which I'm so pleased with, and OH has become health obsessed now, loving green tea and all the healthy stuff!

The lettuce wraps are excellent, deffo doing that!! Xx

The manfriend likes lettuce wraps :D
Poached eggs are the mutts nutts :D

I love the idea of lettuce wraps! Yummy! I love my green tea at night and my green coffee in the morning. It's little steps eh? The water thing? I'm only really good when I'm at work, otherwise it's green tea and coffee. Xxx

I think water is the key to weight loss even when not on a diet. I think I must be the only one who does not like poached eggs. I really only like omlette but it can be very healthy if you have lots of veg with it as in Spanish omlette and cook it with the spray oil rather than the real thing. Frozen veg are just as nutricious as fresh and very convenient ED.
Mere x

I read somewhere that frozen veg had more nutrients as they were frozen at their peak? I could however totally have dreamt that and made that up? :s xxx

Secret two - Fresh isn't always best Eighty per cent of us may believe that fresh fruit and vegetables are healthier than frozen, but this isn't always the case if you are buying your goods from the supermarket. 'Fresh' produce loses vital nutrients and vitamins as soon as it's harvested and it can then take nearly two weeks to arrive on supermarket shelves. So by the time you buy it and eat it, the nutrient value of your fruit and vegetables may well have been lost. According to the International Food Information Council, frozen and canned produce is virtually identical in terms of nutrition to freshly harvested fresh produce. In fact, in the case of frozen it's sometimes better, for example frozen peas contain 34 per cent more Vitamin C than their fresh counterparts. Read more: Fresh or Frozen: What's the healthier option? | iVillage UK http://www.ivillage.co.uk/fresh-or-frozen-whats-the-healthier-option/78618#ixzz2QlAZeXdG Parenting: Information & advice

I'm a pest this evening... Feel wide awake xxx

I think that is why veg abroad tastes so much better than at home as it is usually sourced locally. It seems to be only in Britain that most of our fruit and veg travel thousands of miles to reach the supermarket!
Mere x

Like i know Marge is a great cook and makes things from scratch etc.. Marge did you ever have a take away or are you totally pro-healthy/wholesome? A few weeks back I had this idea that I would have to eat all my food from organic shops and the butchers because of the whole processed foods thing, Im a confused soul. Are we all against junk food and fast food places for life now, or is that daft? It's really hard to say right now I now, it can't be said for sure while we are on some hunger killing drug lol. I just don't know if everyone plans them nights in with wine and a take away or is all that devils food? I'm talking about as odd treats etc as iv been talking about in my diary etc! What do you think WSM?

Chinese/Indian/take away definately is going to have a place in my life. But not on a every Friday night basis, if you know what I mean. On occasion :), maybe once a month :)
We often, now, have stirfrys :) Very healthy :D
I have found a Chinesey curry sauce, that is tip top for flavour, and not too high on the calories ;).
For Indian, stuff thats not to saucy is generally less calories. So tandoori stuff will be a healthier option.
Chapati's are better than nan. I never have rice for Indian anyway, but always have salad ;)
There is always a way to have a healthier choice :) Small steps, and you will get to know the best ones to take :)

When I got to 14st before, I went on holiday, to Hong Kong. Actually, I was 13st 13.5lbs :cool:
Chinese food every night for 2 weeks... well near enough. But eating out anyway ;) Fast food, junk food, drinking aplenty. Well, it was a holiday !!
When I got back, I weight 14st 1lb. I had put on 1.5lbs :eek:
Yes, it was only a fortnight. But I know I didn't deprive myself. I know I choose well ;) I know it is possible ;)

I would love to buy organic, homegrown local produce. But in reality, I cannot afford it :)

When yo get to goal ED, small steps will help you stay there :).
You have already made some changes at home :), so you will get there :D

Fab information everyone thanks! So pleased about frozen veg, because its cheaper and more convenient for us too. I am addicted to this awesome Fitness recipe FB page but they also have a website, I was going to take a photo of every recipe and post it to my diary but its too much effort lol. Have a look, t is fab :) xx

Fitness Recipes – Recepies

Hi Minnie, how is your day going hun?

Secret two - Fresh isn't always best Eighty per cent of us may believe that fresh fruit and vegetables are healthier than frozen, but this isn't always the case if you are buying your goods from the supermarket. 'Fresh' produce loses vital nutrients and vitamins as soon as it's harvested and it can then take nearly two weeks to arrive on supermarket shelves. So by the time you buy it and eat it, the nutrient value of your fruit and vegetables may well have been lost. According to the International Food Information Council, frozen and canned produce is virtually identical in terms of nutrition to freshly harvested fresh produce. In fact, in the case of frozen it's sometimes better, for example frozen peas contain 34 per cent more Vitamin C than their fresh counterparts. Read more: Fresh or Frozen: What's the healthier option? | iVillage UK Fresh or Frozen: What's the healthier option? | iVillage UK Parenting: Information & advice

I'm a pest this evening... Feel wide awake xxx

Ah thats so interesting! I won't feel bad about buying frozen veg in future then! Like Mere said, produce takes so long to get to us it never tastes as great.

Hi Minnie, how is your day going hun?

Hiya hun, day is going okay thanks :) Only just dawned on me its WI tomorrow- dreading it actually :S I feel so heavy and sooo hungry! Like I want to eat the entire fridge!! I haven't but I wish there was something we could have thats no cals or carbs but actual food!

How are you girls getting on?

xx

Hope you've had a fab day W̶a̶n̶n̶a̶b̶e̶SkinnyMinnie ;) xx

Heehee nearly skinny minnie ;)

So not only am I feeling hungry, I'm sat watching the animal awards getting so emotional!! How strange! Isn't it funny how it affects us!!

Good luck for WI tomorrow Minnie. You never know you might get a very pleasant surprise.
Mere x

Back