Wannab's Fat-attack! Cruising...although the water's a bit choppy!

wannabslim

Gold Member
My name is Wannabslim and I started Dukan today - 30.4.2012. This is probably the 5th or 6th diet I have tried, over a period of 8 or 9 years, and I am hoping that it will be my last, as I think it has what it takes to enable me to lose this weight and more importantly, to keep it off.

Day 1 is down and I can hardly believe what I'm seeing - the scales show a 3.5lbs loss since this morning and 5lbs since last night. Whilst this is quite amazing, I think it must be something to do with the fact that I (was horrified to discover last night when I did my starting weigh-in) "apparently" gained 8lbs while on holiday last week (there's no way I ate enough or drank enough to gain that sort of weight) so my body must be ditching all the extra whatever-it-was that I gained on holiday that was showing on the scales when I got home!

Am feeling hungry in a good way tonight. Have done my best today but it was far from perfetct. I followed the rules of taking the stairs instead of the lift - even though it meant a little embarrassment when I went on a tour of our new office building today and our tour party unanimously agreed to take the lift so I had to make a point of taking the stairs on my own which attracted a bit of attention to myself! Only things I failed on was getting the oat bran as I didn't get any into the house until an hour ago and I can't face eating anything at this time of night. Will make sure to have it in the morning as a gallette though. Also I didn't do a dedicated 20 minute walk, although I did spend 30 minutes walking around our gigantic Sainsbury's so that'll have to count today as that's all I had time for. I will make sure to dedicate 20 minutes of my day tomorrow to go for a walk during my lunch half-hour though!

Am doing a 7 day attack, and will then be on cruise for a good few months until autumn time probably, so will probably be around nosing on other people's diaries trying to get some tips as to how to make it through til then without going off-track!

This diary is more for my own reference but if other people want to read it, that's great too!

Nxx

Great first post Wannab, impressed with the deviant stair climb & I hope that this is your last "first post" about a new diet! Dukan is an amazing way of eating. Glad to see you've read the book & you've got your oatbran now - as you'll see from the recipe threads it's pretty versatile & will be a nice addition to your daily menus. Best of luck, look forward to reading about your losses. x

look forward to reading your diary :) ..... i always weigh in the morning as my weight can go up by 6lbs later in the day LOL

Great first post Wannab, impressed with the deviant stair climb & I hope that this is your last "first post" about a new diet! Dukan is an amazing way of eating. Glad to see you've read the book & you've got your oatbran now - as you'll see from the recipe threads it's pretty versatile & will be a nice addition to your daily menus. Best of luck, look forward to reading about your losses. x

Thanks hun, I hope so too! I had my first experiment with the oat bran... more to come on that in today's update! x

look forward to reading your diary :) ..... i always weigh in the morning as my weight can go up by 6lbs later in the day LOL

Thanks for stopping by :) I weighed this morning and weighed exactly the same as I did last thing last night - how weird is that?! (Well, at least, I think it's weird!). I'm going to be weighing in the mornings from now on for the sake of continuity. x

Evening all :)

Ok, so day 2 is coming to a close, and I think it's been pretty successful generally speaking. I've eaten 2 yoghurts, chicken breast pieces, pollock cooked in a splash of white wine vinegar, and had a go at a gallette... which was a complete disaster. Followed the recipe in the book to the letter but it stuck to the pan, wouldn't flip and I ended up eating it as a sort of scrambled egg type thing with a splash of vinegar.... is vinegar allowed??! The book mentions it in attack recipes but it's not on the official list... it's a bit strange... your thoughts would be welcome!

I made it out for a 20 minute walk today - walked from my office to Sainsbury's and back (and picked up a 1l bottle of fizzy flavoured 0kcal water from the shop as a treat for my lunch). I enjoyed getting the fresh air and break from the office, will definitely do that every day when the weather's good.

Have drunk loads today. Had my 1l bottle of water as previously mentioned, plus a 500ml bottle of diet coke, plus 3 coffees and 3 glasses of diet coke this evening. I appreciate this is quite a lot of diet coke but I usually drink around 500ml a day anyway, and as Dr Dukan says, if it stops the sugar cravings then it can only be a good thing! I also struggle to drink "plain" water, so it helps me get my fluid intake! Have been in and out of the loo at least once every half-hour, so I know I'm doing ok!

Have tried to keep my mind off food tonight by eating "dinner" as soon as I got in and then busying myself with unpacking and doing the washing from holiday, tidying up and other stuff like that. It seems to have helped.

I'm feeling pretty tired and given that today wasn't particularly manic at work, I put this down to eating less calories and a spot of carb-withdrawal, but I know having done Cambridge previously that this is likely only to last for another 2-3 days tops, so I know I can do it!

Was proud of resisting the donuts that were brought into work today - I am definitely focussed, as I didn't even entertain the idea, in fact it wasn't a matter of "resisting" as it was "not being interested". I've also turned down the opportunity to go for afternoon tea with my best mate on Saturday (afternoon tea at our favourite tea shop is AMAZING so for me, to suggest an alternative would normally be unheard of). Thankfully she was understanding when I declined and when I explained I'm on a diet she was really supportive and suggested shopping instead. Although I won't be shopping for clothes at this point as I'm hoping I'll slim down at a decent enough rate that I wouldn't get much wear out of clothes that would fit me now. This has led me to wonder... those of you who are more experienced at this than me may be able to tell me, how quickly should I be expecting to lose a dress size, and 2 sizes?

I already feel better - my face is slimmer, my belly is less bloated and my silhouette looks more trim. My belly always protrudes and so for that to "go down" is a great thing! I know that'll be because I'm less bloated due to carrying less water and carb-stores, but I don't care why it is to be honest, as long as I keep shrinking!

Tomorrow will be another day much like today I imagine, although I'm out in the evening and I know that my friend is making a cake, but I don't think it will be too hard to not eat any without this being noticed :) so I can stick to coffee and conversation and get away with it!

Hope you've all had a fab day, look forward to hopping onto the scales tomorrow morning to see what they say! Catch up with you tomorrow night!

xxx

Sounds like a good day, Wannabslim!

Glad I'm not the only one who can't make a galette ..... consider myself to be a fairly proficient cook as well! Still, I've discovered yummy oatbran muffins now so I don't need to worry about galettes anymore ;)

P x

Thanks hun, I actually managed one tonight, not quite perfect but have discovered that the secret is leaving them for at least 2 minutes without touching them, to give them a chance to form properly!

So, today's update: Weds 2nd May:

I weighed myself this morning and was disappointed that the scales hadn't moved in a day and 2 nights...so I decided to leave it, not think about it, and weigh again tonight... and low and behold, another 2lbs off! So that's 5lbs so far :D 1lb off my whole 7-day Attack target, and I'm into a new stone bracket. Still 4lbs up on where I was when I finished Weight watchers 4 weeks ago but not so many that I feel disheartened, as I can see them falling away quicker than I put them on!

Today I must confess has not been perfect. I didn't manage to take a lunch break so missed my lunchtime walk, and after work I literally came home to cook and eat my steak (about 10 mins!) and then went straight out again. So no 20 min walk today. Sorry Dr Dukan! Will make up for it tomorrow I promise!

As previously mentioned I tried the gallette thing again and got close to what I imagine it should be like, so hope to have it right by my third attempt tomorrow.

Still not really clear on the vinegar thing so avoided it today just in case it's not allowed.

Have drunk 1l of fizzy flavoured water today, 4 coffees and 1 tea, and 1 glass of diet coke - have tried to cut down on the diet coke today with good success! To eat I have had a yoghurt for brekkie, surimi fish sticks throughout the day to snack on, a small packet of wafer thin chicken at lunchime-ish, and steak with an egg on it for dinner. Had my gallette for supper.

Turned down homemade chocolate fudge cake tonight. I didn't want any but I was kind of sad to miss out on what I knew would be a delicious treat... but it was ok not having it as my friend chose not to as well, so we "missed out" together and comforted each other that cake will not make us feel happy for more than a moment or two whereas getting to goal can bring a sense of satisfaction that is much longer lasting! (as long as I don't regain the weight!!)

So I am now nearly half-way through Attack and it feels fine. I have been a little hungry today but not ravenous, so it was fine. I really expected these first few days to be much harder than they were, and apart from a little tiredness which I think is also linked to the fact that I have started a new job this week and just come back from a week on holiday so am adapting back into some kind of normality, I have felt good! My toilet habits have changed somewhat but that's to be expected - hoping the oat bran will do its job though.

So tomorrow I have the morning off and intend to go for a walk if it's nice. If not, I'll do some Wii Zumba as I try to do it regularly-ish and enjoy the exercise. Will weigh tomorrow night again I think.

Catch up with you then
Nx

Hurrah! Thanks hun :)

Just hopped on the scales this morning out of curiosity... I'm down 3.5lbs on last night so am now a total of 8.5lbs down since starting Attack :) can hardly believe it!! I know you weigh less in the morning but I don't care really! Have now smashed by 6lb target and am already over halfway to the target I'd hoped to reach after 5 weeks of losing 16lbs! whoop!

I am also now only half a lb off where I was when I stopped Weight Watchers about a month ago (I was 14.8 then).

I wonder if I'm losing it quickly because I have a lot to lose in total, and also wondering what kind of speed I'll continue to lose at after Attack.... guess only time will tell!

Nx

secret to the perfect gallette is a good small non stick pan .... low heat and leave cooking on the first side for 8-10 minutes ;) theres a link to the how to make the perfect gallette thread in the FAQ thread at the top of the forum

I did it this morning - 3 mins on first side on lower heat, then 2 mins on second side. Worked fine :) hurrah!

Not doing so well on the fluid intake today as had a lie-in (didn't even wake up til 10.20!) and have been in meetings since 12. Will try to drink more over the rest of the day.

Had my gallette for brekkie, then went out for lunch opposite work and took my staff out for lunch. Had a black coffee with sweetner as they didn't have skimmed milk :( it was yucky! To eat, I opted for an omlette with ham and mushrooms (I know I'm not supposed to have mushrooms in Attack but I felt stupid telling my friend who knows I love mushrooms that I'm not "allowed" them - I haven't told her I'm doing Dukan deliberately and knew if I refused she would start to pry and criticise that I'm not eating vegetables. Better just to have them). It came with a side salad and chips so I gave the chips to two of my staff to share as they said they fancied chips. Didn't feel hard at all giving them away! Did eat the side salad (no dressing) and enjoyed it, so I know I deviated today but I figured if I had gone for a shorter Attack I could be eating PV now anyway, sure it won't do any harm!

Am feeling really tired today as hubby wouldn't come to bed til 1am as he is off work from today for the weekend and has gone away with some friends this afternoon, so he fancied a rebellious late night last night! Think I might have a nap now so that I can summon up the energy to go out this evening as planned.

Catch you later xx

Hiya wanabe your doing great in your attack week, loving your diary will read you laters x

What happened to my resolve? I have failed, miserably, and eaten carbs. Think it all started going wrong with my omlette saga yesterday. I miss carbs so much, I don't think I can live without them! But I want this so badly too... arrrrgh! So I had lunch of sausages, mash and peas at a lunch club for oldies (it was a set menu and I didn't have the strength to say no but still sit with them) then tonight I had said to myself "no, I'm getting straight back on the wagon" but instead of sticking to it, I had my smoked mackerel...and added mash... and instant mash too :( WHAT IS WRONG WITH ME??? I'm now wondering whether I can actually do this? Someone save me from myself :( :( :(

Wannabeslim - draw a line under today!! Forget it and start again tomorrow - not the full attack phase just finish what you started and move onto cruise - your body is bound to crave carbs - you have never deprived it before and believe me - its peed off!!! Stick to your guns and when faced with a situation like the lunch club do damage limitation and just eat the sausages - not ideal but defo not the end of the world - whilst you are still craving all sorts of carbs (and believe me I was one carb junkie before dukan) make sure you have tons and I mean tons of protein snacks and yoghurt etc to hand for the moments you feel weak - fill your boots with it - honestly it will knock that carb craving for six - also if you have eaten loads of yoghurt/protein you will know it is only an emotional hunger - not true hunger and can leave it alone!!! Look at the amazing results you have had so far - you can do this - don't let your carb monster win!!! I PROMISE you I am such a happier person now I no longer depend on carbs!! It is simply liberating!!! Go for it wannabe slim - you can do it!

Wannabeslim - draw a line under today!! Forget it and start again tomorrow - not the full attack phase just finish what you started and move onto cruise - your body is bound to crave carbs - you have never deprived it before and believe me - its peed off!!! Stick to your guns and when faced with a situation like the lunch club do damage limitation and just eat the sausages - not ideal but defo not the end of the world - whilst you are still craving all sorts of carbs (and believe me I was one carb junkie before dukan) make sure you have tons and I mean tons of protein snacks and yoghurt etc to hand for the moments you feel weak - fill your boots with it - honestly it will knock that carb craving for six - also if you have eaten loads of yoghurt/protein you will know it is only an emotional hunger - not true hunger and can leave it alone!!! Look at the amazing results you have had so far - you can do this - don't let your carb monster win!!! I PROMISE you I am such a happier person now I no longer depend on carbs!! It is simply liberating!!! Go for it wannabe slim - you can do it!

Thankyou hun, I will do as you say, tomorrow is a new day and I only have 2 days left of attack before I can eat my veggies, which I think will help as I'm getting a bit sick of PP to be honest. I was so close to resisting the potatoes at lunch and just eating the sausages and peas, but for some reason I just had to eat them. It was silly, and looking back on today, I have not enjoyed the carbs at all, it was unnecessary and they weren't even tasty potatoes!

Ok, so tomorrow will be a fresh start. I will consume no carbs as from tomorrow morning, have 2 proper full-on attack days, and then on Monday I will move to Cruise as planned. Hopefully won't have done too much damage today. Can only be 300kcals of carby food, so hopefully that should be easy to get out of my system again.

Daren't check the scales again now though until Sunday, as I think I need a day to get back on track before I let myself see any figures cos this could trigger an emotional response.

Thankyou so much for your words of encouragement, it was just what I needed to see. I think if I hadn't seen this I could possibly have gone on to binge tomorrow, so you've done me a HUGE favour here, I owe ya! :) thankyou

Nxxx

PS I am starting to realise I am NOT in control of my eating habits when it comes to emotional eating, hoping Dukan will help me regain this!

Great advice there from Trudy, good luck have a great Dukan day xxx

Back