Wannabslim - watchin' the lbs melt away!

I'm with Alex on this one. If you are eating less than 15g of fat per meal AND only foods with less than 5g of TOTAL fat per 100g then your body should be able to get rid of the (small amount of) excess fat without it being obvious. You need to follow both these rules, though, because I would find that if I eat something like butter/spread for instance, even if I only have a tiny amount and am well within the 15g per meal I will get oil as I broke the 5/100 rule.

KB

The Orlistat leaflet says oily or fatty stools are one of the very common side-effects (more than 1 in 10 users)

I think oily stools are 'normal' where as seeing oil as a seperate thing in the toilet isn't. Obviously, the fat has to come out somewhere so stools can sometimes be a bit oily, but if you're getting loose stools, a crampy tummy, and/or the orange oil in the loo, then that's a sign that you might not have been following the rules 100% (which is easy to do, I must admit!)
Sorry, I feel like we have invaded this diary with all this toilet talk...sorry Nikki!

Hello, sorry I haven't responded to your posts. I've been so busy this weekend!

I can reassure you I have stuck meticulously to the plan and have never eaten to the maximum fat allowances so I know I am doing everything right. I have been weighing everything I've eaten and am perfectly able to read food labels!

I think what I'm about to say may help:

The orange oil is not separate to the stool, to explain (sorry if tmi) but when I go to the loo, it is a normal movement, I just find that once it hits the water, the oil just floats to the surface (in very small amounts). I checked with my GP and she said this is totally normal, as a third of the fat you eat leaves your body through stools and oil naturally floats to the top when in water, hence why the leaflet said to expect "oily stools". It isn't a problem and causes me no concern. And as I said, I am doing it properly - 100% by the book and never eating the maximum fat allowed just to be on the safe side.

Now then, onto other things!

I didn't take the tablets yesterday as I knew I wouldn't be able to follow the low fat rule for sure (you see, I know the rules!!) and I didn't want to risk any side effects. I had my low fat bran flake breakfast at 10.30am although made myself a smaller serving than usual as I knew I'd be eating lunch out a couple of hours later, but wanted to take the edge of my hunger so I didn't pig out.

Lunch I had out at the theatre at around 1pm, before the show (we went to see Les Mis). As the healthiest option was chicken caesar salad, which I don't like, I went for what was (in my opinion) the next best thing: homemade fishcakes on a bed of green salad (I asked for no dressing). The fishcakes were so tasty and light, lots of fresh fish in them and you could taste it.

Dessert I wasn't so good - decided as it was my birthday lunch with my best friend (as she can't be here for my proper b'day meal next weekend) that we would share profiteroles. There were only three of them - she had two, I had one, so it wasn't as bad as it could have been, but it was still pretty naughty!

I then didn't eat dinner until around 8ish. We had a Tesco Finest meal (you know, the ones where two can eat for a tenner). It was very indulgent and we had chicken in a creamy sauce with pieces of parma ham, served with chunky chips. Dessert was Tarte du Citron, which was to die for!

I didn't feel at all bad about having eaten food that was more fatty than I would have otherwise eaten. For me, the fact that I ate a healthy breakfast, was restrained at lunch and then indulged a bit at dinner, is a big change from the "old me" who would have snacked all day, not eaten brekkie, eaten a whole pizza for dinner to myself AND ice cream!

So I am learning. Some may frown on the fact that I didn't take my pills for the day but my GP actually advised me to take a day off when I told her I was worried about how I'd manage with my birthday week as I have a few things planned for it. I have no other occasions between now and Christmas that would warrant taking a day off the tablets so she felt it would be better to start on Xenical now, take an odd day off the tablets and do damage limitation (i.e. avoiding snacking, still eating breakfast etc) and then start taking them the next day to reap the benefits.

I had a lovely day yesterday but was glad to be back on the tablets this morning. I ate Bran Flakes for brekkie as per usual, then me and my hubby went for lunch at Harvester. I had spitroast chicken which I took the skin off. It normally comes with chips but I asked for a jacket potato. It also came with corn on the cob. I couldn't eat it all and gave half the chicken to my hubby :) and it was low fat as I asked for the potato and corn to be served without butter due to dietary requirements. It was tasty and guilt-free.

I'm only going to have a small snacky tea in a minute due to the size of my lunch, just having some toast with jam :) yum yum.

Back to work tomorrow :( makes me sad. Still, work means routine and that makes it easier for me to stick to a controlled diet which is a good thing!

xx

Hi all, just updating my food diary... you've all gone very quiet since the toilet discussion!! Funny that :( ah well.

Brekkie this morning was bran flakes with skimmed milk (no raisins).
Lunch was a jacket potato with WW tuna in tomato sauce and a WW lemon cake (which yes is most definitely less than 5% fat!)
Dinner is pasta in a tomato and sausage sauce served with a green salad. Sausages are 2% fat :D which is great!

Hope everyone else is doing ok x

I'd skip my pills too if I knew I was going out. It's not so bad if you know you're going to be in the house all day for the next couple of days but when you've gotta go out to work etc it's a bit of a pain :D

Hi everyone, update time!

It was my birthday yesterday and I had stopped my pills on Monday to enable me to eat out and eat without fear.

Then I got food poisoning, so I may as well have not bothered!

I was ill all night and most of today and have just managed to eat a piece of toast a few hours ago. Not good at all. Still, at least my meal didn't get absorbed into my system so I didn't take in the calories from the food (although I would obviously have preferred to have absorbed the cals and not been ill as it put an abrupt end to my birthday evening :().

I had a sneaky peak on the scales at work today and was amazed at what I saw... it's not my official WI so I don't want to get excited but the scales showed a loss of 5lbs :) which I am really happy about - and that was with my jeans on too!

Am going back on the pills tomorrow and back to normality - looking forward to it. I wonder whether if I can lose 5lbs in the first two weeks, whether I can lose another 5lbs in the next two weeks!

Watch this space :)

WHOOP just realised that my weight loss from these first two weeks takes me into the "overweight" category - I am no longer Obese :D :bliss:

Wohoo!!! Dancey smiley called for! :bananalove:

love it when that happens.... :)
ive not said welcome and good luck yet... so welcome and good luck! :)

Thanks hun!

Well it's back on the tablets today after a few days without over my birthday celebrations. Have changed my WI with the GP so it's an extra week away, as my previous WI date would have left me with 2 days spare tablets and due to missed pills last week I now have enough to get by for 6 more days, so I changed the appt. Plus with a few days "off" last week I would rather give it an extra few days to show a realistic weight loss of what I can achieve when on the tablets for a month.

I don't think I have gained any weight over this time but weirdly am becoming quite down on myself about my shape and size. This has only improved in the last month or so but I saw the pics from my birthday night out on Saturday and I really do look VERY chubby. I guess I had conned myself into this false sense of security that because I am dieting, I look better... well I don't! I just thought I did. I have a long way to go and am hoping that by the time I get to goal perhaps I will be happy with photos of the "new me".

On the plus side, I went shopping on Saturday for some autumn work clothes and everything I bought was a size 12 or 12-14. That made me happy! I did try on some 12s that were a tad too small but I refused to buy the next size up as they were loose and therefore won't fit me for long. So I left the stuff that was too small, bought a few things that fit, and will go back in six weeks or so time to see what new things fit :)

Been back on tablets 100% since yesterday morning and feeling good so far. Really do so enjoy eating low fat - it makes me feel better inside, more...comfortable I guess you could say, in my belly. When I ate a few things last week that had a higher fat content, they made me feel sluggish and bleurgh... I need to remember that next time I feel tempted by fatty foods, and tell myself that it's not good for me AND makes me feel rubbish!

Will update you soon, although have kind of got bored of the food diary thing now so won't be going into as much detail, sorry!

xx

ahh we all tend to stop fooding on the diary. and i just write about how im feeling and whats happening around me... and generally just wanting support...
im sure people wont mind... but if you do seem to start strugling... the diary is a big help in trying to get you back on track and also stopping you from doing things....
well thats what i have found anyway... :)

hope your weigh in with the dr goes ok! :)

Hey guys,

It's been an odd week and I come to you asking for some advice...

Because I had my birthday week where I skipped a couple of days on the tablets to enable me to eat birthday cake etc. I've found it really hard to get back into the habit of taking my 3 tabs every day. I have been sticking to the Xenical rules... but not been taking the Xenical!!

Can anyone help me with some advice on how to get back into the routine?

WI got put off as doctor cancelled my appointment, so it's now a week on Monday. Luckily due to my "skipping" tablets I have enough to get me through from now until then... so I am desperate to have a 100% no skipped tablets week this week, as of today.

Hoping to see a loss at my WI but I don't know as a result of my skipping if I'll actually have lost anything :( it's not a good feeling of uncertainty!

xxx

Hmmnn, that's a tricky one, and I guess it depends where you are when you eat most of your meals.
If you're at home, could you leave them near the cutlery drawer so that you see them when you get your knife and fork? Or with your plates maybe?
Or if you tend to eat your meals at set times, could you set yourself a reminder on your phone?

I can be pretty rubbish at remembering my tablet to be honest. Especially at breakfast because I eat it at work, and it's easy to get distracted because everyone is arriving as I'm eating, and I get involved in chit-chat and just forget!

Other than that, I suppose it's just about trying to develop a sort of ritual for yourself - Like taking it before your first mouthful of food, or with your first sip of your drink. At first you'll still need to remind yourself to do it, but after a while, it wouldn't seem right to take that first mouthful of food without taking the tablet...if you see what I mean.

Hope you had a good birthday by the way! :) And good luck with the weigh-in. I'm sure you'll be fine if you've been sticking to the rules, even if you've forgotten the occasional tablet.
x

i was fine until i skipped a few to go away. then it took me hit a misses to remember to take my tablets... so i set 3 reminders on my phone, to blast in my ear saying TABLET! at around the times i would eat.. :)
good luck

Thanks guys, those are all good suggestions!

I think I need to redevelop my ritual - I was taking my tablet before my first mouthful of food, and at home wasn't so much of a problem as remembering at work - the phone reminder is a good idea, only thing is if it reminds me after I've eaten it won't be any good, hmmm...

On the plus side, I have eaten three good meals today and taken a tablet with each of them. I think maybe it's just not being lazy about it and reminding myself of the importance of taking them!

Have really enjoyed my food today, gonna share as I thought it was fab!

Brekkie: 2 warburtons toasting muffins each with 2 bacon medallions (be good to yourself from sainsburys less than 3% fat!!)

Lunch: 1 chicken thigh (skin removed and fatty bits left off) with Taste the Difference roasted winter vegetables (it's carrots, parsnip, potatoes and red onions with goose fat but still only less than 2% fat and deeelish).

Dinner: Uncle Ben's risotto rice followed by sainsburys be good to yourself chocolate sponge pudding and custard.

It's been such a miserable day today I have wanted to eat lots of hot filling stuff! Wouldn't normally eat so much in one day. On the plus side, I didn't snack at all which for me is highly unusual! Meals were so filling I didn't need to though!

Hope you all have a fab week, will try and pop by more often than I have been as I do think it helps!

Thanks for your suggestions xx

hope you have a good week too! :) good luck

Ooh no I didn't know that, thanks for letting me know! Have remembered all my tablets today - that's two days, yay :) think maybe it's just getting into the routine xx

ahhh its all about routine, and as soon as you break it... whhhooooppp there is goes.. and we are back to square one!

keep it up and im sure your will be watching those pounds melt away! :)

Back