Wanting to start primal eating

lucysmommy

Gold Member
Hi

I bought primal blueprint and wondering what kind of dairy is allowed or what dairy do you eat? In the book it says unfermented cheese and I have no idea what that is lol

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

I don't know what unfermented cheese is either! I eat butter and ghee, double/clotted cream, full-fat greek yoghurt, and hard cheeses. Sometimes I have a little bit of soft cheese but I'm never sure whether this is 'approved' or not. :D I avoid milk altogether.

There is a 'shopping list' on his site (Primal Blueprint Shopping List | Mark's Daily Apple) - in the 'In Moderation' section there's a link that tells you more about cheese (Is Cheese Unhealthy? | Mark's Daily Apple). :)

Have fun starting your primal journey and let us know how you get on! :)

Last edited:
Isn't unfermented cheese, cottage cheese,mozarella that sort of thing?

As cheese should be in moderation it should be treated as a 'treat'.

As I tell people the main things to cut out is sugar and grains.

Thanks! Looks like paneer is also unfermented (basically 'un-aged') and so I guess cream cheese and ricotta will be in the same boat. I wonder about mascarpone as it's pretty much pure fat isn't it? Looks like the hard variety of mozzarella is aged (the kind that doesn't come in water). Interesting topic!

I love soft goats cheeses - like feta but nicer mmmmm! Stuffed in little peppers, dates, omelettes etc

I also make ricotta or cottage cheese at home - pretty easy .

Take full fat yogurt, mix with water in a pan, heat gently careful not to boil. Strain and bobs your uncle :) Add what you like to it spring onions - pineapple, etc also nice with browned butter on top.

Need to add salt if you want to keep it for longer than one day.

I love soft goats cheeses - like feta but nicer mmmmm! Stuffed in little peppers, dates, omelettes etc

I also make ricotta or cottage cheese at home - pretty easy .

Take full fat yogurt, mix with water in a pan, heat gently careful not to boil. Strain and bobs your uncle :) Add what you like to it spring onions - pineapple, etc also nice with browned butter on top.

Need to add salt if you want to keep it for longer than one day.

Very helpful info! I know you can make a sort of cream cheese by draining yoghurt overnight but wouldn't have thought to do a ricotta/cottage cheese!

In moderation full fat, raw milk if poss :) have a search of marks daily apple :)

[*]WHAT YOU CAN EAT IN UNLIMITED QUANTITIES: meat, fish, fowl, eggs, vegetables, water.
[*]WHAT YOU CAN EAT IN MODERATION (IF YOU’RE TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT, OTHERWISE HAVE AS MUCH AS YOU WANT): fruit, nuts.
[*]WHAT YOU CAN EAT IN MODERATION (REGARDLESS OF OBJECTIVE): dairy, alcohol, dark chocolate, supplements, herbs & spices.
[*]WHAT YOU CAN SNEAK OCCASIONALLY: beans, legumes, potatoes, rice.
[*]WHAT YOU SHOULD TRY TO AVOID AT ALL COSTS: grains, added sugar.
[*]WHAT YOU SHOULD KEEP IN MIND: 80/20 Rule.

Thanks - should the meat be lean?

[*]WHAT YOU CAN EAT IN UNLIMITED QUANTITIES: meat, fish, fowl, eggs, vegetables, water.
[*]WHAT YOU CAN EAT IN MODERATION (IF YOU’RE TRYING TO LOSE WEIGHT, OTHERWISE HAVE AS MUCH AS YOU WANT): fruit, nuts.
[*]WHAT YOU CAN EAT IN MODERATION (REGARDLESS OF OBJECTIVE): dairy, alcohol, dark chocolate, supplements, herbs & spices.
[*]WHAT YOU CAN SNEAK OCCASIONALLY: beans, legumes, potatoes, rice.
[*]WHAT YOU SHOULD TRY TO AVOID AT ALL COSTS: grains, added sugar.
[*]WHAT YOU SHOULD KEEP IN MIND: 80/20 Rule.
I've this. Need to make a plaque to put in my kitchen!

Back