Water

jomonks

Hi guys,

Just wondering how much water you all drink daily ? I used to drink very little at all but since reading threads on here, noticed that it was mentioned a lot to aid weight loss. Upped my intake to about 2 litres a day, but wondered if this amount can include sugar free cordial drinks as well and if this is not enough to notice a difference ?

Any advice would be great x x thanks

I read a report a couple of months ago that said all this "drink 7 glasses of water a day" wasn't actually necessary or gave any noticable results, and that we should just trust in our bodies and drink when we're thirsty. So who knows! I think you should take it all with a pinch of salt and see what works for you. I drink about 6 large glasses of water a day, but it varies depending on how active I am. If I find myself a bit peckish, I DO often grab a glass of water and see if I'm still hungry afterwards. Often I'm not. A cup of sweetened coffee works wonders for me if I'm craving something sweet.

And yes, I would say you can include sugar free cordial drinks too, no problem.

Thanks Cherry Pie, I know I drank far too little before but haven't noticed any difference since, so wasn't sure I was still drinking enough. I suppose the exercise running upstairs more often to the toilet helps if nothing else !!!!

Hey Jo,

How long have you been drinking more water for? In time your body will get used to it, so you won't be running for the loo every five minutes! I find since I've upped my intake (which was, granted, about ten years ago), I can no longer survive on the glass or two I used to drink a day. I'd be parched!

Cherry pie, been about 5 weeks now. At first I really struggled to even drink half a litre ( I felt like I was drowning !) but now can easily get through two litres whilst a work, must admit I'm not running to the loo quite so often. I used to never feel thirsty where as now, especially at weekends when the bottle isn't in front of me on my desk, I do feel thirsty, just still not sure if I'm drinking enough. Might up it to 2.5 litres a day and see if it makes a difference.

well-hydrated body helps your muscles and organs to work quickly and efficiently. When your body is working well, it will boost your metabolic rate and help you to feel more energetic. Water can help your metabolism burn calories 3% faster. Metabolism plays a big role in losing weight so it’s important to give your body what it needs in order for it to work the way you want! but it's important to drink clear still water, don't rely on juice or tea to give water to your body!

Feom my personal experience, the more I drink the more I loose. I try to drink 2 litres a day, and yes I drink weak diet squash as part of my intake. You can also include tea and coffee.

Everyone is different, but drinking alot really helps me. I feel sluggish and tired if I don't drink enough. I also read the article about it being nonsense that your water intake helps with weight loss, but like I said it's different for everyone. I know a fair few people that really think the water helps. :)

The problem is that if, like me, you don't drink enough, your body gets used to having so little water and actually stops being thirsty because it knows it's not getting the water anyway even if it sends out thirst signals. And we stop recognising them. You do need to make sure you're having enough water for a number of reasons. Firstly, it'll help in your weight loss because if you drink more water, your body trusts that you're going to keep giving it water and lets go of the water that it's been clinging on to for a rainy day. Also, often we get confused between hungry and thirsty brain signals, I know I do. But also, water is really important for your body. I'm going to copy and past a bit I wrote in my diary on here ages ago about water...

So why is water important?

* The brain is 70% water
* Our lungs are 90% water
* The human body is 66% water
* Blood is 82% water

So what does water do?

* Water is the primary lubricant in the joint spaces and prevents arthritis and back pain.
* Water helps immune system to function optimally
* Water keeps arteries and brain from clogging, reducing heart attacks and strokes.
* Water is related to brain function and is required for producing neurotransmitters, including serotonin; is necessary for manufacturing hormones needed by the brain, such as melatonin; Attention Deficit Disorder (ADD) can be prevented with adequate water intake as well as improve attention span.
* Water aids in the prevention of loss of memory due aging.
* Water decreases signs of aging, causing the skin to appear smoother.
* It cleanses the insides of your body

Initial onset of dehydration: (at or before the 2% loss of bodily water volume)

* flushing of the skin
* headache
* increased thirst and dry mouth
* decreased urination
* loss of appetite
* dry skin (especially chapped lips)

In terms of weight loss, water has a big role to play too. If we don't drink enough water, our bodies can't metabolise the fat properly and we'll also retain water. You know that survival mode when you're under 1200 calories? Happens with water too! So when you're not drinking enough the body goes geeeeeze I dunno when I'll get my next fix of water so grabs all the water it can and doesn't let it go!

The kidneys don't work properly if they don't get enough water so the liver has to pick up some of the slack, but then it's not got enough time and energy to do it's own job properly - converting stored fat to energy. So your liver is spending less time converting stored fat to energy and more time picking up the slack of your kidneys, resulting in you losing less weight. That's why most people see better losses when they up their water. That doesn't mean drink as much as you can and the more you drink, the more you'll lose. It just means that, basically, give your body enough water and you'll lose your full potential loss that week as your body gets freed up to do the jobs it's supposed to do.

I try to get 2 litres a day, I include sugar free squash in that because I can't stand water! So personally think what you're doing is fine. And like someone else said, you do get used to it and stop running to the loo every 5 minutes eventually!

Wow, Caroline thank you so much for the info, very interesting. It's no wonder I felt so sluggish on so little water. I have filled two, one litre bottles full of water, which I intend to drink before bed everyday, see how I go.

I know, it really does make a difference. I've got really bad on the water front so I'm doing the same as you. I've got a 1 litre bottle and I'll fill it twice a day, at least. When I'm at uni or on teaching placement I end up really struggling to get the water in so hopefully it'll help.

I have around 4 litres of water a day but it's purely because I would normally drink diet fizzy and red bull tea etc ... I've cut all that out and replaced everything with just plain ole water..... Does wonders for how I feel yeh I pee allot but I know my organs are getting what they need, I'm flushig the toxins out and when I exercise I'm fully hydrated

Xx

Back