Weeklies Guilt!

shinnyr

So what's with the weeklies guilt eh? I'm in my 4th week and I think I'm only now really not feeling bad about having them. In the first week I had a few of them, but felt bad. The second week I had a lot of them and was amazed I'd lost 2lbs. The third week I had about half and lost 1.5 lbs and this week is the first time I'm like, right it's ok to have them.

I think this is half our problem, well mine anyway. Feeling guilty about having "treats" and then saying "ah well, I've fecked it up now anyway" and completely ruining it.

I think the beauty of the weeklies is that it allows you to have treats and not think that you've done damage. I'm really loving this new plan I have to say. I can see me sustaining this much more easily!!

Hey I wouldnt worry about it one bit. I save my weeklies for a night out...i dont count in the pub and club and always have something light to eat when i get home and i just say thats my 49 gone! Works for me and I always lose !

I tend not to get guilty about using my weeklies...I find them incredibly useful, as without them whenever I go out with friends I'd either wind up ignore my points alltogether or eating far too little that day to allow for the drink I'd have. I've been on pro points now for 3 weeks, and have used all my weeklies every week with no problems loosing.
That said, I do get guilt about using my points to drink...but that's a different problem entirely, as my heavy drinking in the past is one of the reasons I'm dieting now.

Oh don't get me wrong, I'm all for using them. I think that in general, and by judging some of the comments I've seen on here, people do feel a little guilty about using them.

I think you summed it up well Sam in that WW have researched this and they know what works. We've just got to trust that!

yep i have the guilt too at using weeklies lol but im sure we will get used to it x

I never feel guilty about using my weeklies, they are there to be used!!! I dont know how I would cope if I couldnt save them for the weekend for some vodka!!! lol

xxxx

no guilt either :)

I'll be needing them when my points go down!! Luckily I'm on 43pp so I don't really need them, but I go out of my way to use them as its what my body needs. I think too many overweight people (myself included) have a lot of negative things in their head about food. The key is to RELAX and enjoy it the way it is. Stress is highly detrimental to weight loss. :)

i don't feel guilty using my weeklies, mine are made of vodka :8855:

Yes. I couldn't agree more. As I said in another post I get the impression that people think it won't work unless they are suffering.

Many of us have complicated relationships with food, me included, though I am a lot better than I used to be. I now try to think of food in neutral terms in that it is not good, bad, naughty, saintly etc. This does away with guilt. It also gets rid of the frisson of excitement you get when you think you are being "naughty" - I would often eat out of rebellion. No wonder so many food companies use this as a marketing ploy for their foods because it makes us want to eat them!

I recommend Gillian Riley's books on overeating to anyone who wants to explore their relationship with food.

I genuinely think there is not enough emphasis on getting to the root of the problem. If you follow the plan and constantly feel guilty or feel the need to binge, you are just papering over the cracks and not adressing the real problem.

I always used to be so cynical about feelings etc and just thought... meh just don't eat so much rubbish. But since I'm starting to deal with my demons its helping me a lot, I'm not having half of the difficulty... and I've got very few negative feelings. Just pointing what I eat and being okay with it all.

I always used to be so cynical about feelings etc and just thought... meh just don't eat so much rubbish.

Me too. I heard about people comfort eating and emotional eating I would think well, that isn't me. I haven't got any traumas in my life making me eat. But as I read those books they talked about eating out of boredom and eating out of a sense of rebellion (ie sod the diet, I will eat what I want). But these are still emotions and comfort eating is what we do to distract ourselves from them.

There were also the patterns of justification I would (and still do sometimes) follow like oh today was a horrible day and I deserve a treat and the various ways I could talk myself into saying it was OK to eat or drink whatever. Normally, it was for silly reasons but it could also be for serious reasons too, for example, I caught myself having that conversation with myself when my nan died - I don't remember the exact details but it was like oh tonight I can have a massive KFC because my nan died. Yes, part of it was comfort eating but if I am honest with myself the other part was I was using it as an excuse.

Of course, looking at this stuff isn't a complete cure to my weight problems or I wouldn't still be overweight. And I still do things like comfort eat and justify. But it has made me a lot calmer around food and I can follow a plan without getting too panicky and anxious about it.

Me too. I heard about people comfort eating and emotional eating I would think well, that isn't me. I haven't got any traumas in my life making me eat. But as I read those books they talked about eating out of boredom and eating out of a sense of rebellion (ie sod the diet, I will eat what I want). But these are still emotions and comfort eating is what we do to distract ourselves from them.

There were also the patterns of justification I would (and still do sometimes) follow like oh today was a horrible day and I deserve a treat and the various ways I could talk myself into saying it was OK to eat or drink whatever. Normally, it was for silly reasons but it could also be for serious reasons too, for example, I caught myself having that conversation with myself when my nan died - I don't remember the exact details but it was like oh tonight I can have a massive KFC because my nan died. Yes, part of it was comfort eating but if I am honest with myself the other part was I was using it as an excuse.

Of course, looking at this stuff isn't a complete cure to my weight problems or I wouldn't still be overweight. And I still do things like comfort eat and justify. But it has made me a lot calmer around food and I can follow a plan without getting too panicky and anxious about it.

I feel like I could have written a lot of that... I like your attitude... :) I do believe that getting to the root of the problem does most of the work... but you do need to find the right "diet plan" and stick to it as well. And I think a lot of people will never fully remove the bad feelings around food but its good to get a lot of it under control.

I always used to sit pfting at the biggest loser contestants having their "moments" but now I'm practically greetin along with them :p

Yes, exploring guilt and emotion are only part of it. As you say, you have to have a good plan. There is also what your motive is. If for example your motivation is a wedding or a holiday, what is your motivation after that event? I have done incredibly well leading up to a holiday, only for it to all go to pot after afterwards. Also sometimes, you have no motivation at all and at times like that you just have to try to do it anyway, even if you don't feel like it! I find that especially when it comes to exercise.

Also sometimes, you have no motivation at all and at times like that you just have to try to do it anyway, even if you don't feel like it!
That's very true...speaking from personal experience, I often find it difficult to motivate myself. Stress and depression (which I suffer badly from) take over, and I think "sod this...gimme cake and cider". Then when I start it turns into "oh it won't hurt if I have one drink tonight", which turns into me saying it every night...and then it's back into old bad habits. Just got to try to keep motivated no matter what.

Ironically probably the best motivator for me would be someone telling me I can't do it...can be bloody-minded when I want to be. :p

First time i tried PP i never used 1 weekly point. This time round i intend to use em all. No guilt whatsoever, they are there to be used and i intend to do just that :D

I eat junk 2x a week

usually pizza, chocolate, perogies:)

Back