Weight Loss Counselling

Awaken Me

On my Way...
Hi,

I'm looking for a programme which is similar to the counselling side of LighterLife. I would love to do it but I just can't get on with the shakes and at the moment for both ease and taste Cambridge Diet Tetras are the best option for me.

I want to look at the reasons behind why I gained the weight and identify triggers etc.

I've looked into some counsellors who deal with eating disorders but they deal mainly with anorexia/bulimia.

I also looked at NLP which could be useful but there is so much info out there regarding counselling. I would be grateful if anyone had and suggestions which type of counselling would suit or could point me in the right direction.

Thanks again..xx

Hi, I was referred by my GP for one to one cognitive behavioural therapy sessions on the NHS with a trained counseller in eating behaviour. It only took five weeks from referral to my first session. That may be a good idea for you.

Counselling can last anything from a couple of months (cbt), to many years - depending on the severity of the problem and the model of counselling used. Yes you can get referred onto CBT from the NHS but that sometimes takes 6 months. However, it's free.
CBT is generally great but a bit of a quick fix. i.e. you can have a gaping wound - if you put a sticky plaster on it, it might look better and help for a while but it doesn't help to heal the wound particularly. NLP is sposed to be better, really expensive too, and fairly similar I'd say - a bit of a quick fix.
The biggest thing when going for counselling is to find a therapist that you really resonate with, that you feel you can have a good relationship with.. This is in a lot of the psychological research - the therapeutic relationship is more important than what model of counselling is used.

(by the way I'm coming from a background of studying counselling with an interest in weight issues etc)..

Hi, I was referred by my GP for one to one cognitive behavioural therapy sessions on the NHS with a trained counseller in eating behaviour. It only took five weeks from referral to my first session. That may be a good idea for you.

That's interesting. I visited my GP a couple of months ago and asked if there were any assistance the NHS could provide with weight loss and emotional eating, and she basically said "No. You'll have to pay for counselling."

Hmmm. I may go back and see a different doctor...

I have recently had and am still having counselling on the NHS as well as seeing the NHS dietician monthly. I have to say in my own experience - I found the dietician to be so much more beneficial and nice - and found the 'diet psychologist' very rude and patronising. Maybe I just got a bad egg (this was at the Walsgrave Hospital in Coventry)

Back