Weight loss/Exercise dilemma

emily87

Onwards and downwards!
Hi everyone,

I wasn't too sure where to post this but I just want some advice/opinions from people.

I have lost about 4st over the last couple of years and am currently 10lbs away from my inital goal weight of 10st. I am going away on holiday in 5 weeks and I would really like to reach my goal by then, but I am really unhappy with my body at the moment. I feel that although I have lost weight it doesn't reflect in my body size as I am still a size 14. Also I feel quite 'flabby' (sorry TMI, lol) especially around my stomach.

I have been calorie counting but not exercising and the weight has been coming off quite consistently, usually about 2lbs a week.

I am just wondering now what the best thing to do over the next 5 weeks is? Whether I should start exercising and 'toning up' my body which will probably mean I wont lose much weight. Or whether I should just carry on as I am with the calorie counting and I should reach my 10st goal.

I am so confused right now as to what to do, and what will get me the best results over the next 5 weeks. I would love to be able to wear a bikini, but the way I'm looking right now, there is no way!

Thank you so much for any advice :)

Hi Emily,
I've always been much more swayed by how I look and feel rather than how much I weigh. Although exercising may slow down your weight loss (or possibly mean you put on a tiny bit) this will be due to building up muscles and you are still likely to be losing the unhealthy fat. Also, although not necessarily losing weight you will more than likely lose inches when you start to exercise as everything will firm up a bit.
Now that I've finally turned the corner of deciding that I don't want to be fat anymore I've started picking up my exercise along with dieting - although I don't have the confidence to join a gym just yet, my weekly Zumba class and frequent dog walks are really helping me feel better about myself. I used to be incredibly fit and find it all a bit frustrating that I can't do anything like I used to be able to do but I guess I'll get back there one day!
Hope you're having a good weekend!
Sam x

I don't really have a set goal weight, once I get near the mark I'll be more concerned about how I look than the actual weight on the scales.

Everybody on here seems to like the 30 day shred, that may be what you are looking for to tone up quickly.

Well done on your loss and enjoy your holiday.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using MiniMins

There isn't much I can add to what Sammy Lou and Gailfreyan have suggested. The other exercise many on her do ( although I haven't plucked up the courage to yet!!) Is Body Combat or Body Attack..

Enjoy your holiday :)

Thank you so much for your replies everyone. I am, and have always been, very focused on what the scales say when I weigh in every week. Sometimes taking sneeky peeks during the week too.

But I made the decision yesterday that I'm going to hide the scales and just focus on exercising for a while. Obviously still calorie counting as well. I know that my weight is likely to increase to begin with with water retention/muscle gain etc, so I'm going to try and avoid jumping on the scales any time soon. But hopefully this will help tone my body and make me feel better about the weight I have lost so far.

I have the 30 day shred DVD and also the 10 minute solution belly fat blaster DVD (great name! lol). So my plan is to do the 10 minute solution dvd every day, because my belly is one of the areas I hate the most. Then each day I will also alternate between some cardio on the treadmill and the 30 day shred dvd. I might find that I can do the treadmill and the 30 day shred on the same day, but I think that would probably be a bit much to begin with. I know from using the 30 day shred before that the next few days I can barely move, lol.

I started off well yesterday and did 30mins on the treadmill and 20mins of the 10 min solution, and I was also within my calories. So hopefully I can keep it up. Hopefully it will just start to come naturally and I will just wake up in the morning and jump on the treadmill without even thinking about it, lol.

ive noticed my clothes getting looser on me, but the scales say im up by 6lbs. i dont go by my weight now i go by looks/clothes fitting.

have you tried kettlebells to tone you up? alot of people on here love them, i havent persoanlly used them i prefer a barbell not a kettlebell. it seems to have some pretty good results though

bakertweet said:
These are best weight loss exercise:
1. Dancing
2. Swimming
3. Running
4. Laughing

I was told by the nurse at my MOT last week that the swimming (and the Pilates I do) whilst good for me aren't going to help with fat loss?

I do these two along with walking due to back issues...

... So, can one lose weight by swimming? If so, how much would be needed at a time?

Depends on the stroke and how fast you are going- the slow breaststroke that most people do is not intensive enough but a fast crawl would be. Good for toning but not burning fat. You need to get the heart pumping, build up a sweat and be a bit out of breath for that

Thanks for this - sounds sensible. There are definitely some people who seem to swim slower than they can walk - I prefer a fairly constant backstroke that gets my heart pumping - so hopefully I am doing myself some good.

Back