Weight loss, with severe spinal injuries.

Sully

Hi. I'm new to this site, but hoping it can be another useful tool in the box to achieving the goal.

Sorry for poor spelling and grammar.

A little history:

I have suffered five different back injuries, all effecting my lower back, meaning I have prolapsed discs in my lumbar and sciatic regions, causing severe lumbago, (who remembers that term:) ).

I have tried many time to get myself in a good state of health, I was a weight lifter many years ago. Between the bouts of long term pain, I have managed to make it to the gym for a few months to do something, but it has never proved to be long lived, as the pain returns and means I am no longer able to exercise, barely able to walk some days doesn't help.

I have heard many times that if I lose the weight, my discs will return to normal, but sadly my nerve and vertebrae are very unlikely to recover, so I'm going to lose the weight and hopefully be able to live a more normal active life, with some sort of pain reduction.

Feel free to drop me a line, constructive criticism is welcomed, but being down right nasty is not!

Welcome aboard and sorry to hear you're suffering with pain due to back injuries.

No one will criticise or be nasty as we are all here to support and encourage each other to reach our goals.

I wish you good luck on your weight loss journey and hope it leads you to a pain free, slimmer and healthier you x

Welcome aboard and sorry to hear you're suffering with pain due to back injuries.

No one will criticise or be nasty as we are all here to support and encourage each other to reach our goals.

I wish you good luck on your weight loss

Thank you faireunsouhait, my experience of other sites has been a little frustrating, as many people seemed to think it was OK to be nasty, almost to the point they seemed to enjoy it.

Wow Sully I'm sorry people have been nasty before that is awful :( Welcome here and best of luck! What are your plans for losing weight?

Hi Clareel, thank you for your kindness.

I am starting SW tonight @ 18:00, which should be pretty good. I am also doing some exercise on Wiifit, when I am able, managed a good 40 minutes of low impact last night. But can't do much on the Wii board as it won't take more than 23St 9lb's.

I really want to get back to 16St, but would be more than willing to get down to 12St 6lb's, which bmi says I should be.

Hi Sully - welcome from a fellow newbie. Sorry to hear you're in such pain and that you've suffered negativity on other sites.

Good luck with Slimming World and the exercise :)

First weigh in tonight 25St 3lbs, that's with clothes and boots, which
Hi Sully - welcome from a fellow newbie. Sorry to hear you're in such pain and that you've suffered negativity on other sites.

Good luck with Slimming World and the exercise :)

Thank you Sassie.b, that's very nice of you. I hope you have a wonderful time reaching your comfortable weight.

Last edited:
OK, last night's weigh in wad pretty good, I weighed in at 25St 3lbs, which is great, as I was more when I was weighed the other week.

Really enjoying slimming world, I forgot how good a salad can taste if done right :)!

Well, I'm now starting my 5th day of SW, and it's grea. Can be a little taxing working out what goes in what column on the food diary sheet, but yesterday evening, as I felt like having a little extra, I has had my healthy b, but hadn't had healthy a, with a few Syns left. I didn't fancy any more bars, although I had brought all the flavours this week.

I was searching my head, the whole what do I fancy, that I can have thing. Then it dawned on me I had enough syns to have two rounds of the small 400g loaf, and I could have cheese, one I knew that, I didn't need persuading, straight in to the kitchen, and made cheese on toast. Which I love, but hadn't had in ages.

So I ended last night on a high, enjoying my supper.

I just pray that it gets easier to keep a track of food and ideas.

Hope everyone has a great weekend.

Great that you're enjoying SW, I'm sure once you've been doing it a little longer it will be much easier and quicker to complete your food diary.

You have a great weekend too :)

Hi Guys and Galls, :nananana:. I had my weigh in on Tuesday night, what a surprise, I had managed to lose 5 lb in a week,:thankyouthankyou:

Congrats! And hi!

Well done you. SW is an absolutely fab plan, really really flexible and you never find yourself going hungry - I love it. Also had a little stalk and saw you're from Gloucester - ditto! Well, I'm from Norton which is a lil village on the A38 but still, pretty close. Currently at uni in Cardiff

Really awful reading about your back, but I'm sure as the weight comes off you will get at least a little relief. At my heaviest I had horrible, agonising pains in the ball of my right foot that nothing really touched. Had x-rays, physio and nada. But now 5 stones later it's pretty much disappeared :D

Hope you have another week as good as this one!

Congrats! And hi!

Well done you. SW is an absolutely fab plan, really really flexible and you never find yourself going hungry - I love it. Also had a little stalk and saw you're from Gloucester - ditto! Well, I'm from Norton which is a lil village on the A38 but still, pretty close. Currently at uni in Cardiff

Really awful reading about your back, but I'm sure as the weight comes off you will get at least a little relief. At my heaviest I had horrible, agonising pains in the ball of my right foot that nothing really touched. Had x-rays, physio and nada. But now 5 stones later it's pretty much disappeared :D

Hope you have another week as good as this one!

Hi Lolly19to11, I must say, all your awards, you must know what your doing. I go to Oxtalls on a Monday. as I work in GL, but live in Bishops Cleeve, so I go through Norton twice a day, sometimes more.

I cant seem to be able to see peoples profiles, not enough access or something.

You look great in your pic though, very radiant.

Hi Sully,

I was in a similar position to you some years ago after a car ploughed into the back of mine at a roundabout.

I'm supporting my wife on her SW journey and have got to say the results are brilliant so far. We've both lost around 25 lbs and don't really feel like cheating.

Food tips - a slow cooker is your friend if you have a busy life - It's so easy to have a satisfying, tasty dinner ready when you get in - we always cook too much and pop it in a takeaway container in the fridge for an easy lunch in the week.

Also pre cook some free foods in advance and keep them handy for when the munchys strike - you can rustle up something healthy and tasty in under 10 minutes.

I do eat a lot of fruit, which can be expensive. So I tend to go for the 69p deals in tesco, also I eat a lot of raw carrots - cheaper alternative to fruit.

The SW app is great too if you've got a smartphone.

As for the gym, I found it was counter productive. I'd try and push myself like I was still 18 and ended up making things worse. I ended up getting myself a bike (pedal variety) and swam a lot. It was a bit embarrassing at first given my size (18st when I started), even for a bloke, but eventually I got talking to a few people at the pool and nobody batted an eye. After a combination of WW, swimming, cycling and walking I lost 60 lbs. My back isn't perfect, but it's probably 80 - 90% depending on the day.

I also picked up a second hand exercise bike and used to watch the TV sitting on it....

I piled a bit of the weight back on and and back on the eating plan again - Like I said SW this time.

Keep up the good work and you'll be half the man you started out as ;-)

I also had an accident, falling off a dogsled and crushing my hip. Before that I was very active enjoying hiking and biking. After my accident I couldn't exercise and so I gained weight. I finally recovered from my accident 6-7yrs later but was already 20st, I got myself a personal trainer and spent an intensive few months trying to get it off. All that weight loss kicked my body into healthy mode obviously as I fell pregnant. Exercise stopped and eating began, soon I was 24st and now for the first time in my life I have a bad back, I tried wiifit for a week and the couldn't move for 2, vicious circle so for now I'm having to rely on weight loss through SW only and hope that once I shred a few more stone my bad back will recover.

Hi guys, I used to be in the gym working out regular, 2, 3, 5 timed a week, send was pretty fit, now twice that age, I'm not so resilient, or free to do it, so SW is my saving grace for now, if I'm able I would like to train for stamina fitness, rather than the power I trained for in my youth.

I grew up in Lincs. Near Spalding.

Im glad there's positive stories out there, sometimes it feels so lonely to be on a weight loss journey when your do big, it seems like only the skinny people want to lose weight, with the larger people just wanting to get larger.

Well that's a new development, I have had IBS for most of my life, but for 6-7 years is been under a close approximation of control, however eating the lovely food on SW, I am having to increase my medication, as the cramps are returning.

How's everyone else doing?

Well that's a new development, I have had IBS for most of my life, but for 6-7 years is been under a close approximation of control, however eating the lovely food on SW, I am having to increase my medication, as the cramps are returning.

How's everyone else doing?

How strange, hope it doesn't deter you as you've done well so far :)

Back