Weight training newbie. Ideas?

Discussion in 'Fitness Health and Exercise' started by Wasted Ink, 1 April 2010 Social URL.

1. Wasted Ink

Wasted Ink Full Member

Start Weight:
    Current Weight:
    Goal Weight:
    Heathly Eating/Calorie Counting
    Hello! I've recently begun weight training using dumbbells. Unfortunately I know so little about weight training that I fear I'm not doing it well enough to reap the benefits. For one thing, I only work out my arms/shoulders with weights. And do basics for the stomach/abdomen. Here is a basic outline of what I do:

Bicep curls x 8
    Lifts x 8 (per arm)
    Swinging dumbbells X 8 per arm

Repeat etc.

Lift using both arms

30 press ups (they’re not proper press-ups because I don’t put my entire body weight on my arms when doing them.)
    20 sit-ups
    20 leg lifts (per leg)

I usually do this for fifteen minutes around twice a week. I try and use weights that are fairly heavy - enough to challenge my muscles. However, I have read on certain websites that one should be doing a 40 minute full-body work out using weights, 3-4 times a week. The problem is, I’m not a member of the gym (can’t really afford it,) so I don’t have access to a variety of weights. I would like to do a longer, full body workout on all my major muscle groups (in the arms, legs, thighs, buttocks, abdomen, chest etc.) Unfortunately, I really lack information on it - so I was wondering whether anyone knows of any beginners guides/videos that might be useful for me, since the equipment I have is rather limited.

Help appreciated. :)
    Last edited: 1 April 2010
Popular Forums
  1. MiniMins.com is a weight loss support community helping each other on their weight loss journey. We have a multitude of forums, from Slimming World and Exante, to Success Stories. Click the logo at the top right to return to the forum home page at any time.