Wetherspoons jacket potato!!!!!!!!!!

glittermama

LOVES glitter
Oh ladies, im so upset.

Today is my first day of proper SW foodplanning, exercise etc. OH, baby and i went to town this morning and decided to have lunch out, i thought ok! on my food plan i have written jacket potato with cheese (HeA) and beans. Thats fine, everywhere does that!!!

So i was happily tucking into my jackpot and updated my FB status to "eating a yummy jackpot in wetherspoons! cheese and beans!"

A friend of mine (who is also on SW) informed me that wetherspoons DEEP FRY the jacket potatos?!?!?!!!!!!?! GREAT!!!!!! Day one and ive already mucked up!!

Feel like a failure to myself now as i have never felt so motivated in my life to do anything like this and finally when ive managed to pluck up the motivation to do something, its messed up! Grrr!!!

Just read on another wetherspoons post and read it was a myth, sorry for posting it again!!!!!! but im still confused and dont know which to believe lol!! x

Whether it's true or not don't let it bother you, you weren't to know so just put it behind you and carry on with the day as you'd planned to.

it's a load of rubbish, chinese whisper got out of hand. As long as you had no butter on it and no dressing on your salad you will be fine.

I can assure you, their jacket potatoes are not deep fried or injected with oil in any way.

If you deep fried a jacket potato, you would crack a tooth when trying to eat it.

Complete myth!!!

Britmum is absolutely right. It's a total myth that Wetherspoons deep fry/inject their baked potatoes with oil. So don't panic!

so glad you ladies are here lol! I thought a deep fried jackpot would be like a GIANT chip!!! Ho hum, life goes on!!

What I cant understand is why on earth would anyone spread this rumour people are just mad!! Its not like the Weatherspoons Jackets are any nicer than any other Jackets lol The other one I dont understand is why Weatherspoons steaks are supposed to be so high? Whats that all about?
x

so glad you ladies are here lol! I thought a deep fried jackpot would be like a GIANT chip!!! Ho hum, life goes on!!

I'd imagine the skin would break your teeth too if it had been deep fried hahaha xxx

Hi. Sorry to add to this but I was also surprised at the high syn value of the jacket potatoes so I wrote to Wetherspoons. The reply I received was not particularly helpful as it was in catering lingo. What I understand is that the potatoes come to the pubs frozen and it is at this pre pub stage that they get the fat on/in them. If you look at their calorie/fat value on their menu they are not just jacket potatoes as we know them. Hope this helps. Liz

lizgranny said:
Hi. Sorry to add to this but I was also surprised at the high syn value of the jacket potatoes so I wrote to Wetherspoons. The reply I received was not particularly helpful as it was in catering lingo. What I understand is that the potatoes come to the pubs frozen and it is at this pre pub stage that they get the fat on/in them. If you look at their calorie/fat value on their menu they are not just jacket potatoes as we know them. Hope this helps. Liz

I am sorry but you are wrong there, If you look at their nutritional information for a jacket potato with beans with no butter and no dressing on salad it is exactly the same nutritional information as if you had made it at home.

Just to break it down for you all.

A jacket potato from wetherspoons with baked beans (no butter and no salad dressing) is 519 calories

If you made a jacket potato at home exactly the same, this is how it would match up:

1 large potato baked is 278 calories
1 cup of baked beans is 239 calories

that already takes you to 517 calories by just making it at home, and no salad included.

You can clearly see, that it is not possible for any fat to be added to the potato in any way.

For them to do so, they would be against legal action for having incorrect nutritional information.

Of course if you had a jacket potato and beans WITH butter and WITH salad dressing, you would be looking at over 100 more calories.

My OH is a chef and has been so annoyed by my friend saying this that he is willing to deep fry a jacket potato and give it to my friend to look at/eat/whatever. It looked nothing like (how i would expect) a deep fried jackpot. I had no butter, salad dressing, nothing on it. Just a jackpot with cheese and beans, with the salad they put with it.

meh!!!!

Oo thats a good idea I would like to see that :)

Hi everyone!!

I came on here this evening in order to dispel the myth of Wetherspoon's deep-frying their jacket potatoes but I am glad to see that someone else has beaten me to it! I do hope word gets around (don't forget to tell your SW clubs!) as that is the only way this Chinese whisper will peter out.

As you might tell from my username, I work for Wetherspoons and it does pain me somewhat that this ugly rumour is still abound. As an experiment, we deep-fried a jacket potato in our canteen and the results were awful! The skin was like leather and the insides were oily and greasy (once I'd managed to cut through the skin - it was hard work) and it was completely inedible. Rest assured, if you had been served one of these in a pub, you would have known about it.

Well done on everyone's weight losses so far and Glittermama - I wish you well on your journey.

Paula x

I was told last week by the 'locum' sw consultant that some places inject fat into their jacket potatoes to give them the fluffy consistency!

Back