Wetherspoons jacket potatoes ...

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I read it, I thought it was just me being thick and there was some other method of cooking spuds that I didn't know about! ha ha!
Thanks for letting us know though, maybe as someone else said they do just presume you will put the butter on, so the syns are taking that into account!?

Carry on guys, these jokes are a'peeling' to my sense of humour.

better buy butter-buds to go on your your jacket spuds!!!

I just hope they keeping an "eye" on how they cooking them........

(I'll get my coat and meet the rest of you in the car park!)

Enough with the spud jokes, pleeeeeeeease.

I'm Boiling over at them

are you lot still "waffling" on about it?!

Sorry to break up the jokes ladies lol, but are we now saying that because Spoons say their jackets are just baked we are gonna have them syn free, regardless of what the SW syns section says?

I really have no idea why the jackets in Spoons as so high according to SW, but I trust SW so why would I doubt them?

And if we do doubt them on this, then what else do we doubt them on? Does it have to be group doubt or can I just pick and choose items I fancy to be lower synned than SW reckon when it suits me? lol

And are we sure it was a typo on the letter? They have actually assured you they haven't been fired, but they haven't said anything about fried ;)

I really don't wish to re-ignite the whole SW/Spoons debate I know the syn values according to SW and I know the official line from Spoons, and they simply don't match up.

So do we trust the company whose vested interest is to help us lose weight, or the company whose vested interest is to sell potatoes?

I know I am oversimplifying massively but I am tired lol

Oh, and before I go, if we do decide to group-ignore syn values when it suits us can we please make chicken madras/pilau rice/plain naan bread syn free? Thanks :)

I dont think the main issue on this was whether the Syns values were correct, in fact thats never really been doubted. This was a follow on thread from another which claimed Weatherspoons baked potatoes had the potato scooped out and fried and then they were baked. I believe MLM contacted them to have this clarified once and for all and although they seem high in Syns, the syn value has pretty much been accepted by everyone as correct :)

I expect the Syn value is calculated on the potatoes 'as served' which will undoubtably be with butter and other high syn dressings etc :) I know when I was on WW the Eating Out Guide had the points 'as served' but it was quite ocmmon for people to deduct points for things they didnt have - like butter, dressing etc.

Last edited:
Wetherspoons would be under legal action if their nutritional information was wrong. It is most definately a story that someone has started, that has got carried away, a bit like chinese whispers as a child.

In fact there is more total fat in a bachelors savoury rice (which is supposedly free according to SW) than what there is in a Jacket Potato with beans (with butter and salad dressing omitted) from wetherspoons.

The real discussion should be, do slimming world have shares in Bachelor's ??? lol

GAH im like a dog with a bone when it comes to my beloved wetherspoons.. I agree exactly with what the above says.. i worked in wetherspoons for 2 years in the kitchen, cooked thousands of potatos.. And NONE were fried..

LOL. Theres a cafe in Liverpool that is SW friendly and lists all the syn values of their foods, still waiting for an opportunity to go try it out. If it wasnt for the fact that SW charge so much for food analysis to get the certificate I would TOTALLY want to open a SW restaurant.

What's it called and where about please?

Can't be doing with reading through all 4 pages but i do know that the 5 bean chilli with quorn mince is 8 syns :) xo

i had a read (cos I'm bored) then i started asking questions. i do understand ppl when they say "rumor" and "Chinese whispers" so i asked my OH who has been a chef for over 20 years an worked in every kind of food place from factories, prep lines, fast food, cafes, chained out lets, pubs, gastro pubs, fine dinning, award winning restaurant and hotels.(THIS IS NOT HELPING MY DIET LOL) i also asked my very close friend who is has worked for breaks, 3663 and a few other food suppliers. (and who i met my bf thru). so as far as I'm concerned what they say is not hear say and i don't think they'd lie to me over something so trivial.

Chickens in supermarkets, all have saline injected in to them keeps them moist. many but not all, have fat injected in to them AS WELL. all supermarkets get these in prepped and ready go on the spit and are not prepped on site.

JPs are usually prepared in the following ways:
baked in tin foil, every where he has worked where they have been cooked like this they have been coated in butter or olive oil to make the skins crispy. but if you ask or go their regurlay they will do it with out.
delivered by breaks etc (confirmed by friend who worked for them), are all part cooked and covered in oil and nuked to order.

he has never heard of deep fried re skinned/stuffed etc (for JP's but stuffed skis are deep fat fried and re stuffed - as the name suggests).

also in 99% of chains, theme pub, (inc all the ones mentioned in this thread) nothing is cooked fresh except steaks! they can say its "fresh" because of the law defines "fresh" in most places even the salads are pre portioned and bagged!

the kitchens (i've been in a fair few) look like something from a 60's si-fi movie, food cooked in water baths and reheated. All pasta and rice is coated in oil to stop it sticking together and tasting "fresh" (hence SW syn up microwave rice).

the majority of these style of eateries (i refuse to call them restaurants) don't actually have what most ppl would call a cooker in. microwaves, deep fat fryers, water baths, hot plates. so all the outlets serve food the same as each other it is highly unlikely that the many kitchens he has seen are going to be an exception.

Also very few actually employ a chef. kitchen managers and kitchen assistants, grill cooks etc are NOT chefs! they would not pay what it costs to employ a qualified chef. heath and safety qualification and an NVQ don't make a chef!

You don't wanna know what else I've been told by friends I've got in the food biz, about all sorts of places. but if you investigate any where you'll find things you prolly shouldn't.
a few months ago a very famous T.V Michelin starred chef was found to be using microwave components and sides.

in my opinion if you like it eat it! just be twice as careful with syns :D

xxx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back