Wetherspoons

That's awesome - thanks!

Can't believe this!

J D Wetherspoon 8oz Sirloin Steak with Jacket Potato, Peas, Tomatoes & Flat Mushroom per serving

extraeasy.gif
38 Syns on Extra Easy
red.gif
Original 40½ Syns
green.gif
Green 38 Syns

I nearly choked when I saw that! And except for the steak fat those are meant to all be free foods?!

yes free foods BUT, butter on potato, fat on steak and also THE steak, tomatoes and mushrooms no doubt cooked in oil, all the syns soon add up. Plus if it comes with a side salad there will dressing on the salad too.

I've actually heard that they 'deep-fry' the steaks :|

Just saying that's what I heard lol

How on earth are the steaks so high in fat? If they were fried in oil - they still wouldn't be near 40 syns!

Still sounds like loads of syns.

A tablespoon of flora light alone has nearly 3 syns I think (off the top of my head) now imagine the syns of full fat butter slapped on your jacket potato. Then add on top of that the juicy bit of fat left on your steak, not to mention the bit of oil it has been cooked in along with the tomatoes and mushrooms no doubt and then the oily dressing on your salad. You can control the jacket spud and salad by asking for no butter and no dressing, and of course not eat the fat on the steak. Which will reduce the syns quite a bit. The nutritional information listed on the wetherspoons website has options for no butter and no dressing. It is just that slimming world have listed it WITH.

Also it is worth bearing in mind that syn calculations for meals out are an estimation, it is never going to be 100% accurate because each place although a chain will vary in portion size etc and also vary with how much butter/dressing/oil is used.

It is quite easy to see how syns can add up.

However the nonsense that goes around about injecting and deep frying of steaks/jacket potatoes is most definitely untrue. Wetherspoons would have a claim on their hands for dental expenses from loss of teeth if they did.

If you still are suspicious, as an experiment I suggest trying to deep fry a jacket potato or steak and see what happens. You might need to bomb proof your kitchen first and invest in some metal gnashers to eat it with.:p - but of course do so at your own risk lol

Last edited:
Yeah i'm sure there is, and you'd be looking at about 40 syns, due to the way they cook they're steaks and potatoes.

5 bean chilli is 4.5 syns xxx

I love the 5 bean chilli also, delicious! :) And I can't believe the syn value difference between this option and the mince option!

Charlie x

Hi all just thought I'd let you know that the 'wetherspoons deep fry everything' myth is still alive & kicking as my sw consultant has just told the whole group - I tried to explain that is wasn't and it was decided by rest of the group that this is the only viable reason why syn values are so high lol :D
(ps - I know, I know, I know its not true)

It sure did, it turned into a game of 'guess how many syns are in this meal...' lol

ive just looked and im shocked at the steak syns!!!

I am having a chilli i think for 15 syns odd :)

Product (then EE, RED and GREEN syn values)

Con Carne with Chips, per serving 7½ 15½ 7½

Chilli Con Carne with Yellow Basmati Rice & Tortilla Chips, per serving 17½ 28 17½

Five Bean Chilli Nachos, per serving 70 70 70

Five Bean Chilli with Yellow Basmati Rice & Tortilla Chips, per serving 4½ 25½ 4½

Five Bean Chilli Wrap, per serving 40½ 40½ 40½

Jacket Potato with Chilli Con Carne, Sour Cream, Butter & Salad Dressing , per serving 16 26 16

10oz 21 Day Matured Rib-Eye Steak with Chips, Peas, Tomato & Flat Mushroom, per serving 48½ 48½ 56

10oz 21 Day Matured Rib-Eye Steak with Jacket Potato & Salad, per serving 49½ 49½ 56½

10oz 21 Day Matured Rib-Eye Steak with Jacket Potato, Peas, Tomato & Flat Mushroom, per serving 47 47 57 10oz

28 Day Matured Rib-Eye Steak with Chips & Salad, per serving 51 51 56½

Back