Wetherspoons

My friend's oh is actually a "chef" in a Spoons... I must ask him next time I see him what goes on in their kitchens, this thread is fascinating!!!

What is the best breakfast to have do you know how many syns wld be in the porridge with fruit compot? Abs hash browns?

Ok I ended up having beans on toast with two hash browns no butter thought it wld be best breakfast option can any one suggest what is lowest on their breakfast menu

I've only eaten at Wetherspoons 4 times.1st time in london was breakfast the other 3 times was here in Devon.The last time was over a year ago and never ever again.I had some pasta dish and I am sure it was a packet thing what you can buy from a supermarket.It was disgusting and the 2 times before, the meals were warm.

Yep, the pasta's do come from a packet. i used to work in one :)

I've actually never asked for it without butter, but I have never seen/tasted butter on it any time that I have eaten a jacket spud there. I don't know weather i've just been lucky or something? or perhaps it depends on what filling you have with it? bizarre!

Whoops, double post...sorry

I've actually never asked for it without butter, but I have never seen/tasted butter on it any time that I have eaten a jacket spud there. I don't know weather i've just been lucky or something? or perhaps it depends on what filling you have with it? bizarre!

At my old spoons, they didn't put butter on the potatoes, they're meant to give out a sachet with the meal, but most of the staff are rubbish and don't bother :rolleyes: (good for us though, ay!)

When I first started SW I used to eat at WetherSpoons 3 times a week, I had the BBQ chicken melt (HE A) for the cheese, with jacket potato and salad. I put 3 syns for the bbq sauce and 1 for the ceaser salad dressing & I still lost between 2&5lbs a week.

& I doubt very much they inject their potatoes with oil considering they microwave practically everything.
The rice or pasta come out stuck together in a rectangular shape. & we always joke they they must have cool rectangular sauce pans! x

I'm not sure about the injection with oil thing, but they are delivered aready cooked and re-heated in a mealstream (a microwave/oven combo)...they do look greasy so it wouldn't surprise me, to be honest. :sigh:

I've actually heard that they 'deep-fry' the steaks :|

Thats actually not completely untrue - In the one i worked in, one of the chefs used to dunk them in the fryer to 'seal' them, then they're finished off using the flamegrill thing, where they are sprayed with oil to help them cook quicker. (i'm a veggie, i don't know exact terms, sorry :eek:)...all i can say, is to be wary of their food!

Lou1401 said:
I'm not sure about the injection with oil thing, but they are delivered aready cooked and re-heated in a mealstream (a microwave/oven combo)...they do look greasy so it wouldn't surprise me, to be honest. :sigh:

Please DO NOT start the inject fat thing again. It's been discussed at length on here numerous times and it's NOT true

Weatherspoons and Asda etc have all been contacted directly regarding this much quoted story

Please DO NOT start the inject fat thing again. It's been discussed at length on here numerous times and it's NOT true

Weatherspoons and Asda etc have all been contacted directly regarding this much quoted story

I am really glad you have clarified this. I am a new SW member and was told by the consultant at our first meeting not to eat JDW jackets as they are deep fried and are 15 syns each! I checked the syn calculator on line and found you could have it with roasted veg and it is only 2.5 syns. So was very confused. I will ask again at my meeting on Thursday as a lot of people were put off going there.

I'm not trying to start anything, I was trying to help :sigh:

lottie lulu said:
I am really glad you have clarified this. I am a new SW member and was told by the consultant at our first meeting not to eat JDW jackets as they are deep fried and are 15 syns each! I checked the syn calculator on line and found you could have it with roasted veg and it is only 2.5 syns. So was very confused. I will ask again at my meeting on Thursday as a lot of people were put off going there.

Unfortunately this urban myth is so well travelled a lot of SW consultants are passing it on.

If you look at the nutritional values on the website for Weatherspoons it's more the fillings that pile on the syns not the spuds

Lou1401 said:
I'm not trying to start anything, I was trying to help :sigh:

Starlight - aren't you even going to apologise for jumping on an innocent post that you haven't read properly and just jumped on?

Also, if someone wants to discuss something unless it's abusive why should you tell them they can't. Just because Asda has confirmed that they don't inject food doesn't mean the suppliers if JDW and other pub chains don't. I'm allergic to lots of things and you'd be surprised at what's in food when you read the ingredients....

I didnt jump on it, so no Im not because this story has been going on for months/years. What on earth makes you assume I didnt read it properly??? The post from Lou said she wouldnt be surprised if they injected the potatoes.

Actually Wetherspoons have also been contacted and they have explained exactly how their potatoes are cooked.

The reason they were asked not to continue this story AGAIN is because its not true, its an urban myth which is STILL being circulated as true and its causing no end of confusion. The last thing we want is people getting misinformation because of some fable thats doing the rounds

So no, Im not going to apologise, I dont see I have anything I need to apologise for

allie1904 said:
When i went i ate them as i think thats where the syns actually come from, as there is no oil in the rice, and the chilli isnt greasy! mmmm xxx

How do you make it extra easy though by ordering a side salad maybe? As I need my 1/3 superfree

Baby-belle said:
How do you make it extra easy though by ordering a side salad maybe? As I need my 1/3 superfree

Yeah, though without the dressing. Also, 5 bean chilli is a perfect green meal, so you could just have that - its a big enough portion without being too big.

Yeah, though without the dressing. Also, 5 bean chilli is a perfect green meal, so you could just have that - its a big enough portion without being too big.

I've got to recommend the five bean chilli - it's absolutely delicious. Yum!

I'd imagine a hell of a lot whiat with it basically being the perfect green meal. Its beans, rice, and veg. Not a red day food in sight!

I'd suggest you do an Extra easy day if you're going to have this, or have the Superfree salad with Chicken maybe and ask for no dressing.

Back