What diets have you tried?

TwoPoundsPerWeek

In a world of yo-yoing and fad diets, what diets have you tried, and to what degree of success? Why did it work or not work for you? Is it still around, or has it faded into the background like so many before? And what have you found is truly the best eating plan for you to attain your goals?

I did the atkins a while ago, i was really strict with it and did end up losing a lot of weight, but I found it very very difficult to maintain. I just found that really working out to the best of my ability at least 4 times a week, and eating grill chicken, salads, and smaller portions. I also changed my lifestyle to lose weight. and that worked for me :)

I've never attained my goals! :(
I always seem to sabotage my efforts tantalisingly close to goal (I was 28lb away in 2006)

I've tried practically every diet and eating plan there is and the only thing I achieved was to 'diet' UP to 22st at my heaviest! Sorry if that sounds a bit negative but at least I haven't given up trying! :)

One day there will be a light-bulb moment and I'll crack it!
(I'm currently on CD by the way).

crazy crazy world of diets

.... RIGHT, I have tried..........
Slimming pills - the stupid addictive ones
Slimming pills - the herbal ones
SlimFast
Slimming World
Weight Watchers
Rosemary Conley
The F Plan
The Atkins
Low GI (well I bought the books - does this count????)
South Beach (ditto above)
Slimming Magazine
LighterLife - which had I continued with, was fantastic
Cambridge - tried it last year but too many personal problems got the better of me...
IS there anything I missed:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

In a world of yo-yoing and fad diets, what diets have you tried, and to what degree of success? Why did it work or not work for you? Is it still around, or has it faded into the background like so many before? And what have you found is truly the best eating plan for you to attain your goals?

In no particular order:

Weight Watchers - 5 times - and hated it each time. Hungry and miserable

Slimming World - 2 times - 1st time made no sense to me and I put on weight on green days. It was via telephone correspondence and the lady assigned to me was dreadful, she only called me once. 2nd time I was the ridicule of the whole flipping class and I lost no weight. I was having binges and the Class Leader thought it was funny. In hindsight and with the help of CD and Minimins and reading Lighter Life Magazine I was having binges and using food as a crutch.

Rosemary Conley - 2 times - didn't succeed although I did like it and use it's principles when I'm low carbing. Gave me a whole new outlook on reading food labels and I LOVED the fact that equal epmhasis was put on exercise. I'll be going back to this diet once I lose the majority of my weight with CD as I see it as a great way to maintain.

Atkins - does what it says on the tin! I lost the most amount of weight with Atkins prior to CD. His book is still worth a read as it has some useful information about lo-carbing and I see some of the principles of CD in this book.

Calorie Counting - Using an online calorie logger. Very similar to weight loss resources.

Xenical - I had some very bad side effects when I was naughty. It worked though. Just had problems with portion control.

Lighter Life - the LLC couldn't be bothered to get back to me deespite me leaving several messages on her voicemail - some American chick in Edgbaston, Birmingham. So I didn't even start the diet .... this was back in the day when it was cheap! (£56.00 per week)

Cambridge Diet (CD) - still struggling due to my own lack of belief and a love of food flavours. But I'll be doing it this year, I'm focused.

For what it is worth - the lowest weight I've got to was 16St and that was about 4 months ago. I've never been close to my goal weight.

Calorie Counting - Using an online calorie logger. Very similar to weight loss resources.

It was Daily Diet Tracker DailyDietTracker.co.uk

I have tried all the above that Cha Ching has mentioned countless times apart from RC never really tried that one not sure why i lost 4 stone on Atkins two and a half years ago but have put 5 back on again:cry:i couldn't do Atkins again it's too resticted.

Weight Watchers - ONE
Success there was none
consoled myself with a big sticky bun

Slimming World - TWO
my weight only grew
consoled myself in the KFC queue

Xenical - THREE
eat fat and you'll see
the reason I stopped it; no thanks! Not for me.

Rosie C - FOUR
the one I adore
alas - too far for me to go anymore.

Counting cals - FIVE
I really did strive;
took my eye off the ball and did a nose dive

Cambridge is SIX
and as it predicts,
lost loads of weight - it's quite a 'quick fix'

There are so many others
I've tried in the past
most were too faddy for my interest to last

But I need to sort out all the throughts in my brain
or I'll repeat this sad pattern again and again.

(Do you think I have too much time on my hands? :D)

My dieting started age 13 when my mum said I should do a diet with her- I wasnt even overweight at the time :eek: it was a strange diet from a book I cant remember the name, but you cut out all processed food, and meat, dairy etc in a set pattern- you basically have to go vegan and I hated it. Weight lost- none.

Slimfast November to December '06: stuck rigidly to the plan, lost a stone in 4 weeks= happy but felt that perhaps it wasnt very healthy and very sugary!!!

Slimming world, January '07: found the principle of eating as much as you like a bit disturbing and was concerned it was setting me up for bad habits. Put on weight on green days and despite never going over on my "sins" was criticised for using them by my SWC- even though they are allowed! I had only 2 out of 4 weeks where I lost, the other 2 I gained. Total loss= 3lbs!

Cambridge diet, Feb '07 to April '07 then VERY on and off til Sept '07. Total loss from Feb to April was brill! (at the lightest point I had lost nearly 3 stone in 2 and a half months!) but by September despite doing CD a bit here and there I had reduced my loss to 1 stone 9lbs. Best diet I did but destroyed my mental capacity to think, I became obsessed with food and craved EVERYTHING. Whilst the results were the best, emotionally it was the worst.

My own thing, a week in Dec '07 and Jan 1st '08 to present. I eat a calorie controlled, fat and sugar controlled diet, keep and eye on the carbs although not obsessively. I try and do at least 5000 steps a day and am awaiting some exercise DVDs and for my cold to go so I can go swimming! I usually have a glass of skimmed milk and a banana for breakfast, which I take with a multivitamin and a kelp tablet. Then lunch depends but is usually soup by Weight Watchers (between 70 and 120 cals depending on flavour), again taken with a kelp tablet. Dinner is whatever I fancy but as low carb, cal and fat as possible, so anything like pizza is homemade to keep cals and fat low, again with kelp. It is a good plan as I can eat what I like without feeling guilty, and I CHOOSE healthy foods instead of feeling FORCED to. I love it! Before Christmas in 2 weeks I lost 5lbs, and since restarting on 1st Jan have lost at least 2lbs (maybe more but I only bought scales 2 days ago and have seen a 2lb loss since then)
Wbs x

Very good RD!!!! :D :giggle:

Weight Watchers - Too many times to remember, got bored with the slow weight loss but the first time i went on it i almost got to goal but gave up too soon & the weight went back on!
Slimming world - Couldn't be bothered with the green/red days
Rosemary conley - Just gave up!
Xencal - bad, bad side effects!
Slimming pills - From Canada made me feel sick all the time but i was losing weight!
Herbal slimming pills - Rubbish!
Slimming patches - Waste of money!
Atkins - loss loads but got stick of it!
Slim fast - just gave up!
Lighterlife - lost most of my weight then switched!
Cambrige diet - currently on it & almost at my NEW target weight!

There's many more but don't remember half of the names, all my adult life i have been on a diet & this is the thinnest i've ever been & the closest to my goal ever. Also i'm a size 12 the smallest ever!!!! :D:D

xxx

I have tried all of the above diets also the Dr joshi diet and i have all the excess bits and bobs that i bought whilst on a fad: aloe vera slim fast even a few xenical tabs. The money i have spent i could probably have paid for cosmetic surgery :rolleyes:

Not giving up on VLCD just yet....;)

.... RIGHT, I have tried..........
Slimming pills - the stupid addictive ones
Slimming pills - the herbal ones
SlimFast
Slimming World
Weight Watchers
Rosemary Conley
The F Plan
The Atkins
Low GI (well I bought the books - does this count????)
South Beach (ditto above)
Slimming Magazine
LighterLife - which had I continued with, was fantastic
Cambridge - tried it last year but too many personal problems got the better of me...
IS there anything I missed:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Sounds like me, but I have kept WW and SW in business of the last 20 years with all the rejoins.

I am doing LL and I think it is my brain as well as my stomach that needs sorting and at the moment it is working very well for me.

I did Scottish Slimmers and got on okay. Slowly but okay.

Have tried diet pills, they were a waste of money.

Weight Watchers confused me so much I never started.

Currenty on Lighter Life. It's working but it's really not agreeing with me. I'm struggling.

Weight Watchers - worked first time, tried it years later and just can't do it!
Slimming World - ate far too much of the free foods, so never really lost much!
Cambridge - in the olden days (like 20 yrs ago) and didn't like the food, so quit within a week!
Lo-Carb (Veggie) - worked well, but couldn't stomach eggs, cream and cheese after a month (but will be using the principles to keep my weight off long term after LL).
Lighterlife - changed my life - LOVING IT!

I tried Scottish Slimmers... didnt like it... cant remember why tho lol

Tried SW couldnt do the 'days' thing. I was eating the same thing day in and day out and in danger of turning into pasta

Have tried WW numerous times over the years, always going to classes. A year ago I decided to try it again - without classes, and its worked. I love WW, couldnt imagine doing anything else at all :)

I've done Atkins, Cambridge, Calorie counting, slimfast, not eating much and exercising like a demon, Slimming world, RC, Weight watchers and most things in between.
The only time i managed to lose a considerably amount of weight was just by healthy eating and exercising (practically all the time - 1hr swimming before work, cycling to work, cycling home, another hour swim and an aerobics class - everyday) but i just don't have the energy fo that anymore!

I think I've done them all. This was the first time I achieved my goal, and now haven't dieted for over 2 years :clap::cool:

Back