What do i wear for this interview???? How prepare - Ahhhh help!

Maddysmum

Gold Member
Applied for a job (receptionist or Duty Manager) at a new countryclub & spa opening near me.
They've just emailed me asking me to come in for an interview TOMORROW :eek:

What do i wear????

I've a grey skirt suit (feel bit frumpy in it) which fits but do i wear a shirt under it or maybe add a flower broach to it to lift it?

or do i wear a nice dress????

Can you tell i'm panicking - been while since did interview and never in this type of industry.

Also, what preparation can i do (apart from re-reading my cv to remind myself of what done in the past)
ITs a brand new club so can't go look round the place or do any research on it. Pics of it look extremely posh :rolleyes:

Personally I'd suggest the suit. Always makes a good impression on me. Depends on whether the dress is business like though. Research the company, what they do. Be ready for the "hat do you know about us" question. I always like it when people have an answer for that, something more than what's on the website and try o have a question for them for the end of the interview x

Wear whatever is smartest. And also try the various options on, and then sit down in front of a mirror. You are more than likely going to be interviewed sitting down, and some clothes look great when you are standing up presenting your best angle to the mirror, and then less so when you sit down. Is the skirt too short? Does anything bulge? When you decide on jewellery, keep it low-key. (I once interviewed someone with a necklace which said "sexy lady" on it - why anyone thought that was appropriate for an interview I do not know!)

Then make sure you are neat and tidy, hair is neat, makeup not too over the top, shoes polished, etc., etc.

Then remember that they have asked to see you, so there must be something about YOU that they want to know more about. It's hard to get an interview these days, so you must have done something right already!

Don't be intimidated by the place because it looks posh. You can do posh - just believe in yourself. Posh means lovely buildings, nice surroundings, plush furnishings - all of which you appreciate and deserve. You have a right to be there.

be comfortable too. if you put on the suit and it feels wrong, it may heighten your feelings of anxiety. and above all, good luck!!!

Can you divulge more about the "nice dress"?

I never wear a suit to an interview. I always look smart but I like to wear something a bit more unique to me as it says a lot about my character and I always stand out and hence are more memorable. It's worked for me so far- I've never not got a job after an interview :D

I agree with Flibs- if you feel comfy as well as looking good you'll go into the interview full of confidence.

They may or may not ask questions such as 'what is your weakness', 'what are your strong points',..........

OR, as we heard about last week "What toy would you be and why?" :eek:

Can you divulge more about the "nice dress"?

I never wear a suit to an interview. I always look smart but I like to wear something a bit more unique to me as it says a lot about my character and I always stand out and hence are more memorable. It's worked for me so far- I've never not got a job after an interview :D

I agree with Flibs- if you feel comfy as well as looking good you'll go into the interview full of confidence.

I've got a black & cream pencil shift dress which is very stylish (people always comment when i wear it) and more importantly i feel super comfy in it. In the dress, i dont feel like me (im sooooo not a grey suit person so not sure why i even own it lol).

As for what toy i am ---- gonna have to think about that one lol. x

I'd go for the dress then- damn, you've just sold it to me in 4 lines of text, it defo sounds like a winner to me :D

It can be difficult when your brain is going twenty to the dozen but remember to smile:D

If it helps imagine you are already in the role and exude capable confidence.
Bon chance!

I've got a black & cream pencil shift dress which is very stylish (people always comment when i wear it) and more importantly i feel super comfy in it. In the dress, i dont feel like me (im sooooo not a grey suit person so not sure why i even own it lol).

As for what toy i am ---- gonna have to think about that one lol. x

Well you've just answered your own question, 'people always comment when I wear it', WEAR THE DRESS:D why would you chose to wear the suit.

The dress it is lol!
I know i can easily do the job just really nervous & doubting self because a while since done interview (about 10yrs)
Will let you know how it went later :D

Yes definately agree the dress :)

How did it go???? x

The dress it is lol!
I know i can easily do the job just really nervous & doubting self because a while since done interview (about 10yrs)
Will let you know how it went later :D

Good luck! Let us know how you went on.

Hope it went well! :)

Sorry only just updating - had a manic few days.

The interview on Wed went really well - was a group (20 people) interview then individual interview.
That was Wed, got a call Friday asking for me to come in for a 2nd interview on Saturday at lunchtime.
Then went pear shaped......
Turned up for the 2nd interview & it lasted a whole 3 mins!!!!

The General Manager hardly spoke to me - he asked me 1 question then didn't give me chance to speak then said "we've had so many applicants we are doing 3rd interview so if you don't hear from us within 7 days you've not got the next stage, thanks!" - got the impression it was all about the image (The Country club was very wag territory)

So think it all ends here - if i hear from them will be total miracle (i'm not remotely posh so while i think i looked the part my giggly lancashire accent/personality is far removed from what i saw today)

But if i have to be plastic or have plum in my mouth to work there - its not the role for me so will just keep looking.

Thanks for all the advice from everyone - i felt confident in my dress and i'm pleased i got the 2nd interview (if thats what you can call it lol) x

Back