what does quorn mince taste like???

jem3139

Silver Member
Hi all I have been reading some recipes and they use quorn mince could anyone decribe to me how it tastes as I am a bit wary about using it . thanks

thnks starlight

thanks starlight that is what I would be using it for but will the family taste the difference?

It doesn't taste of much at all. It takes up the flavour of what you put it in. I use it when I am using lamb mince half and half so I get the lamb taste but for less points. My OH doesnt notice. I have also used it on its own in bolognaise and chilli and he didn't notice that either but I'm not that keen. Prefer to just use lean beef mince.

ok thanks again I suppose it will do no harm to buy 1 pk and see how I go x

Its very good. I've been using it for years. It is drier and less oily than meat, I noticed immediately when someone tried to give me a meat mince chilli by mistake, as it has a different mouth feel, but I think its much easier for a vegetarian to tell when they've been given meat than a meat eater when they've been given quorn, provided its in a sauce like chilli. This is because for many years, food companies have often bulked out meat products with other protein foods, like soya, wheat protein and pea fibre.

Even if they notice, providing that its in a tasty sauce, they probably won't find it unpleasant. Its worth trying because its such a good, high protein, low fat food.

When you are cooking your chilli, taste it towards the end of cooking. You may find you need a little more seasoning or spice than usual, as meat replacements often take up more of the flavouring than real meat. If its bland at the end of the cookign time you can add a little more chilli and cook it for another ten minutes or use some worcestershire sauce. If you're cooking for veggies, make sure you use a vegetarian one as worcestershire sauce has anchovies in it.

:)

my lot won't eat it,,i made a huge pot one day of spag bol and hid the packet and said nothing,,my hubby was the first,there something worng with the mince,,i think it's gone off!!so nobody ate it:( just try it and see what happens:D

thanks

thanks y.mummy n pudpie I think I will give it a go I'll let you know how I got on.x

I find it great. It's much cleaner and lighter than meat I find, and if you add an extra stock cube to the mince when cooking it really adds to the flavour.
The quorn pieces are good too, and I swear by the quorn lamb steak. Very tasty! Think they also make quorn fishcakes and fishfingers now too.

thanks

thanks Bolero I will give it a try and adding an extra stock cube sounds lkike it might do the trick for my son anyway oh is a butcher and I'm not sure if I can fool him lol x

Quorn is a lot nicer than mince we hardly ever have minced beef now, it soaks up any sauce that you add to it, whether it be gravy for cottage pie, chilli sauce or a bolognaise. lovely texture, no floaty fat or knuckly bits bleurrghghhgh

thanks kazt

must say that sounds gd to me Katz hate the smell of mince cookin too lol.....

Oooh never thought of adding a stock cube to it, that sounds like a plan :)

You can cook Quorn really quickly from frozen as well which is ace when you're in a hurry. The chicken bits one is nice too when you do it in a stir fry, puts lots of lovely soya sauce on sprinkle some seasme seeds yum

thanks

thanks katz never thought of the chicken one must look out for it x

Having it for tea tonight in a stir fry (its about as close to Chinese meal as I'm allowed at the moment ) I might break a chicken oxo cube into the mix too for extra richness. Great way of adding loads of veg. I think I'm getting the idea with the propoints, I start with the zero foods, fruit and veg and gradually build a meal adding 'pointed' items in. Off to do Yoga X now.

I think I'm getting the idea with the propoints, I start with the zero foods, fruit and veg and gradually build a meal adding 'pointed' items in. Off to do Yoga X now.
and i'm the opposite,,i start with the pointed foods like meat and chicken and build my meal around them:D

I have quorn min e alot, my sister is veggie so we all have it together, its nt as juicy as meat mince but its still nice. We have it with a mix for tacos , taco shells r only 2pp and i think its like 100g of quorn mince is 2pp so u cn spread tht betwen abwt 3 tacos depending hw mch u want xx

bolero982 said:
Out of interest, has anyone tried the new fish-style quorn? I've been tempted to try the fishcakes, but have been a bit put-off by the price!

The fish style bakes with sweetcorn ( frozen) are really nice! They are really thick and 5 pp each.

Back