What "fat" comment do you remember most?

malaika

Lover of Extra Easy
When we were newly married, 32 years ago, we saw a very overweight woman, and my hubby told me that if I ever get that fat he would divorce me! He denies ever saying that as he now says that he would love me no matter what size I was but it has always stuck with me, and possibly why I never allowed myself to get too overweight.. so perhaps I have him to thank for that!
Also when at school, they used to call me "tubby tuba", and I used to cry buckets, but looking back I was just normal. That was, however when skinny (like Twiggy) was cool.
Does anyone feel that comments, harsh or kind, have made any difference to they are?

this is going to sound soooooooooooooo mean, but i have a friend who is a little over weight and people used to tell me 'god you two are so alike you could be sisters' a lot and that made me realise i was overweight too (even though i knew i was, but even more so!)

I was at a rugby dance and I overheard 2 lads , one said "she's not that fat!" Needless to say I didn't dance with him when he asked!

when my hubby shouted"Oi Lard a*se!!".Said he was joking when he saw my face but it made me do something about it. Still I 've started calling him Fatbellygutbucket now for revenge.... isn't love sweet!Lol!!!!

When I was walking to my graduation ball with a group of skinny friends, when a van drove past, slowed down and bloke shouted "Oi fatty, get to weightwatchers". A*sehole. x

When at Disney a couple of years ago. An English guy said "get out of the way you fat cow" i was very shocked as i really didnt see myself as fat, i was though!
The comment has stayed with me though and the whole incident and i guess it made me look at myself and do something about it. So this very rude man who set a terrible example for his kids actually did me a favour.
Another time ages ago when i was in my teens going into a shop in London and the assistants all dressed in black and white looking me up and down and saying,"nothing in your size in this shop love" sooooo humiliating

back in year 9 i walked into maths and heard a friend of mine say 'well if im a whale what the hell is libby?'
i lost loads of weight after that, pretty much starved myself to do it.
my first boyfriends mom, telling her son infront of me he could do better because i was fat (i was size 12!)
put it all plus more back on over last 4 years
most recently was my boyfriends nan saying 'im suprised you carry so much weight with freya on the move'

Oo good thread, kind of upsetting but good that we can look back on the negative things and see that there's some good at the end of it!

At primary school I was bullied and I was at school when teletubbies were the new big thing (showing my youth) so I got called tinky winky and had the song sung at me in the playground by all of the boys in the year above. I think it's funny cos they're all obese themselves now ;) I was also on the basketball team and when it came to picking teams I overheard 2 of the boys from P7 saying "we're stuck with the fat one again".. oh there's loads more now that I think about it!

Anyway, those comments made my weight worse. I comfort ate and then wondered why I was fat "why is this happening to me" I wish someone had told me the food was the reason! Oh well! Now I don't care what people say - I'm on my way to target!

I have always been overweight - but when i was single a couple of years ago, i pulled a very nice looking fella. My friend then said to me - "IMAGINE if you were slim what sort of man you could get!" i replied it was all about the person inside, not how you look and she said 'No, men see you before they talk to you'.

I dont talk to her now! but it made me realise i wanted to do something - shame it took me until last November to join SW!!! :D

x

I have always been overweight - but when i was single a couple of years ago, i pulled a very nice looking fella. My friend then said to me - "IMAGINE if you were slim what sort of man you could get!" i replied it was all about the person inside, not how you look and she said 'No, men see you before they talk to you'.

I dont talk to her now! but it made me realise i wanted to do something - shame it took me until last November to join SW!!! :D

x

Im not surprised you dont talk to her! Some friend!

We were in a sauna and this guy was talking to me and my friend and said they were good for people like me to sweat out a bit of weight! Now this man was not exactly a model himself and I had just lost 2st so was actually starting to feel pretty good about myself! twat

Kids are horrible! When I was about 7 I got asked if I was pregnant by my best friends big cousin - I didn't even understand the insult tbh!

What's worse is that the horrible kids seem to have grown up into horrible adults too.

just to turn this thread around - cos im reading it and its depressing me!!

We are all wonderful, nice people, and the negatives we have to deal with in our lives are the hard and sometimes get us down.

But now, we are all doing something to change those negative comments, insults and opinions - we can change our appearances by losing our excess weight - but the nasty people cant change their nasty ways and minds - so for that we are the real winners in the end!

Plus - the sun is shining - so lets all smile!

xxxx

I can remember going to the pub one night and bumping into an old school friend and her asking me when "I was due". I felt so upset, but I have never seen anyone go so red when I told her I had just put on weight.

Well at least she had the embarrassment there to go red.. I have been asked that before and when I said I wasn't they said 'Well how was I supposed to know, you're big enough' .. like it was somehow my fault...

....some people are so nice lol

xxx

Back