What food do you take to work?

Charleybarley

Gold Member
Hey all

Do you, like me, work in an office (or wherever) and frequently get people saying "is that what you are eating today??" in a gobsmacked "no wonder you are fat" fashion?

This morning I pulled out my bag of tricks and thought no wonder people think I am a heifer!

On the list today is:
Breakfast - Ham Sandwich (HEB) (.5) for mayo (not even a tbsp, just as a butter alternative)
Lunch - Tuna Pasta and Veg (.5) for mayo
Snacks - Half a melon, bunch of grapes, nectarine, apricot, banana milkshake (4 + HEA)
2 litre bottle of water

It looks like I am feeding the whole team - my friend at work is doing WW and she sometimes looks at what I eat with a mix of disgust and envy!

What does everyone else's work food look like - I often wonder if I take the whole "not portioning freefood" a little too far sometimes, are my lunch portions too big? e.g. My pasta lunch is made up of 100g pasta and 1/2 tin of tuna....too much?

Bear in mind I also have a drawer at work with emergency foods - Branflakes/Ryvitas/Hifi Bars/Mugshots/Ryvita Minis!

Here's a pic:

image-3073393915.jpg

Last edited:
I work in a restaurant, it's so hard cos I'm constantly starving! I take like 2 bananas and those giant packs of melon, a kiwi, a mango.. But when I'm starving I buy side orders which are like these beef skewers which are basically a whole steal cut up on a stick and are basically syn free, chilli squid which is only a syn or so and a massive bowl of rice. And that's not even the free meal they provide me with that's what I snack on during the shift haha I must sound such a fool how much I go on about diets and stuff

I work nights so usually take some fruit,fat free mat yoghurt and an Alpen light for an early morning boost x

Today I have
Breakfast fruit salad made with one donut peach, one kiwi and half a dozen chunks of melon, 30g fruit and fibre and a shape yogurt

Lunch 2 boiled eggs, salad leaves, tomato, pepper and cucumber and a dollop of cottage cheese. A donut peach.

That's it. I have cut down on the amour of fruit I bring as I was eating it for the sake of it and not because I was hungry.

Today I have an apple, a banana and some strawberries, blueberries and grapes for breakfast. I take this to work most days. Sometimes I have a MullerLight too.

I usually go out for my lunch and buy a jacket potato with cheese, beans and salad - or a salad box with chicken for lunch. Today I've brought in leftover pasta bake from last night and some salad to have with it. I have got a hifi light for afterwards and maybe another banana if I fancy. I will often bring in leftovers for lunch, or if I have made soup I will bring a flask of that in and some bread (particularly fond of WW Petit Pan).

In my desk drawers for emergencies I have a stash of mugshots, low syn crisps, hifi/alpen lights, mini gingerbread men, etc. Along with normal teabags, fruity teabags and options hot chocolates. I even have salt, pepper and balsamic vinegar in there!

I could feed the 5000 with the contents of my desk drawers...

Today I have a banana and Muller Greek yoghurt for breakfast, a Weetabix Oaty bar (HexB), home-made Chickpea Dahl loaf with salad for lunch (and some M&S sour cream dip - about 5 syns, but so worth it!) and a Mullerlight yoghurt. Oh, and some strawberries. I went through a phase of eating pasta salads for lunch, but found it made my losses a bit slower. I do better when cutting out bread and pasta - I'm a tiny bit wheat intolerant.

I'm working a 14 hour shift today 8 in the morning till 10 tonight do I have all kinds lol
Yoghurt melon and tangerine for breakfast leftover beef goulash for lunch and lasagne jacket spud and salad for tea! Oo and a mullet light incase lol I'll probably go tesco at some point for more fruit!

Can anyone inspire me to make interesting lunches for hubby who has jumped on board the S W bus finally? He has access to a kettle, but no fridge, microwave or oven so not able to re heat. I am fussy and dont like salad but he does so any inspiration would be great. He is doing all three plans, although I am giving him more red and green as thats what I am used to myself. Many thanks

I work long days and nights as I'm a nurse so I have to be super prepared in terms of my meals. The restaurants and shop in the hospital don't really do much in terms of healthy food so it's best to bring my own!

On the walk to work I always have a Hi-Fi light bar or an Alpen light to tide me over until I get my morning break.
Breakfast- Mullerlight, banana and my other light cereal bar
Lunch- veggie stirfry with a Quorn fillet and chilli flakes or a salad (spinach or lettuce, peppers, red onion, pickles, boiled egg, tuna/chicken/ham and balsamic vinegar)
Afternoon tea break- banana or a bag of crisps (Skips multipack 4.5 syns, Velvet Crunch 4 syns, Tayto Onion Rings 4 syns)
Dinner- Chilli (Extra lean mince, passata, chilli powder, chilli flakes, peppers, mushrooms, onions) with 75g of rice or cabbage
When I go home I always have supper either scrambled eggs and toast (2 slices of wholemeal nimble -as my second HE as I'm target) or a cheese toastie (2 slices of wholemeal nimble and either 1 or 2 slices of Low Low cheese)

On nights I have my dinner before I head to work and for my midnight break I have either pickles and ham or a mugshot and a banana and a mullerlight.
At 6am when we get our breakfast I have a banana and a cup of tea.
When I get home I'll have a couple of slices of toast and some scrambled egg and a light cereal bar.

Today I have brought to my work.

banana, apple, orange, kiwifruit, ham salad for lunch & 2 hifi lights. i only work 8-4. Will probs take some fruit home and have the hifi after tea, its just nice to bring them incase I need them! x

I keep some weetabix and frozen raspberries at work so each day I bring in some strawberries, a banana and a mullerlight and have all that for breakfast (I break the weetabix up and pour the yoghurt over it with the fruit). For lunch I'l bring a container of pasta bake or curried rice or roasted veg cous cous. It looks pretty similar to the size you have your pasta in. I'l also bring in some chopped up pinapple and melon to have at lunch time. Sometimes I think my lunch portion is too much and I'm overeating.
If I'm going to the gym after work then I'l bring an extra banana to eat on the way.

Charleybarley - your food looks yum :) My portions are enormous, haha, and now half my office is on slimming world - I think they were jealous of my epic plates of lunch! I might have, for eg, a big pack of bbq chicken pieces, a bag of salad, a small tin of sweetcorn and some boiled new potatoes. I'll follow that up with a couple of pieces of fruit and sometimes a free yoghurt.

I take a jute shopping bag which is usually stuffed to the brim! Typically I'll take HiFi bars and fruit if I have breakfast at work and then soup, cold meat and salad, jacket potatoes with tuna, beans or syn free coleslaw, mullerlights, babybels for my HEXA, fruit to snack on. Wow, reading this, I look like all I do is eat for 7.5 hours a day!!

I generally take quite a bit with me as I'd rather bring some home than sit at work starving!

Normally take something like: 2x alpen light, banana, apple, grapes, salad - with ham/egg/cheese and ff fromage frais as a dressing. Sometimes take a packet of crisps too, especially on a Friday :) And a yogurt. All that does me for breakfast, lunch and snacks.

Today I have;

Breakfast - Bran Flakes w/milk and some grapes
Lunch - Left over beef stirfry
Snacks - Melon, Grapes and Strawberries

And a trusty bottle of diet coke.

I've only just started SW and I'm a little bit scared of syns - is that normal?

I take a large salad: lettuce, cucumber, tomatoes, peppers, spring onion, hard boiled egg, quorn slices/BBQ fillet, pasta/rice/couscous, celery, mushrooms, grapes - basically whatever I can get my hands on. I tend to do green days so the quorn works great as i feel like ive not missed out on a meaty element to my salad, the sticky bbq fillets work great for me as there are 4 in a pack and you cook them in the pack, so i will take one cold to work in my salad. I also take a fat free yogurt and fruit with a sugar free jelly (made up with boiling water and cold sugar free fizzy drink to match the flavour of the jelly). I have tried to reduce the food I take as was worried that people would think I was greedy but then I ended up raiding the chocolate machine, I have lost over 4 stone so decided that that should say more about my eating habits than the size of the containers I take my food in. If I am not organised enough to sort out a salad (or I've eaten all of the salad stuff I bought) then I'll get a jacket and baked beans with salad from the canteen (probably works out cheaper this way as well).

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Hi claree, yes it is quite normal to be scared of syns but they are there to be used and are part of the plan! You can have between 5 - 15 a day, but in our group our c tells us to have about 10. Some save them for the weekend, but yes they are there to be used.Enjoy

To the lady who posted about her hubby - it might be really handy to get an insulated food bag. I often take mine to work cos sometimes don't have access to a fridge. I fill it with ice packs to keep things cool. That way he could take salads, pasta etc. I wouldn't use it for meat necessarily but keeps salads fresh.

To the original poster, I eat a whole tin of tuna and massive salad so don't worry about your 1/2 can! On ee I tend to portion control but don't see a problem with having a huge plate of veg or salad. Would rather eat a big portion at meal times so I snack less! :)

Sent from my HTC Desire S using MiniMins

Well today I have had 35g bitesize shreddies (hb) with 200ml milk (ha) and a banana. Then I had a little pack of grapes from asda as a snack mid morning and for lunch i have just eaten left over cottage pie (2 syns for mince as it was the less than 12% fat) with a bag of microwave veg and a splash of gravy (1.5 syns) followed by a peach and i've just had comments saying i've got a mini sunday dinner haha!

I've now got a kiwi left and asda fat free yogurt for if i get peckish mid afternoon, so no I don't think your portions are any bigger than what many of us would take to work :) x

Hi claree, yes it is quite normal to be scared of syns but they are there to be used and are part of the plan! You can have between 5 - 15 a day, but in our group our c tells us to have about 10. Some save them for the weekend, but yes they are there to be used.Enjoy

My C advised that women should have 10 and men 15 - quite unfair but I know how it is lol.

Back