What foods have no calories.... or very little?

x Nee x

Gold Member
Hello all,

Does anyone know of any foods which hardly contain any calories, or 'negative calories' :eat:

???

Thanks

x

I know you are probably looking for more substantial things but what I use to satisfy my savory munchy cravings sometimes (when I don't just give in) is pickled onions and pickled red cabbage. They're virtually nothing. About 10kcal per 100grams I think

I know you are probably looking for more substantial things but what I use to satisfy my savory munchy cravings sometimes (when I don't just give in) is pickled onions and pickled red cabbage. They're virtually nothing. About 10kcal per 100grams I think

Thats fine, I dont really care what the food is (other than celery) as long as its low calories so if you feel like ur craving u can eat alot without a lot of damage...

Keep them coming peeps

x:talk017: x

Cucumber

Any more for any more??

x

The low calorie hot choc drinks - they are sweet enough to make you think you've had a pudding
Second vote for the jelly
Quorn pieces

Thanks for those.

Im starting my new mission tomorrow so all reponses are very much appreciated :)

:cross:

Home made veg soup - love it. Tinned tomatoes, a stick of celery, onion, garlic, a carrot and some herbs/spices (I like chilli in mine) and some stock all cooked then blended. Makes loads and is really filling. Great for when you need a low cal meal. If I have cals to spare it's nice with a tin of mixed beans in as well, for some fibre and protein.

My contribution is ice lollies :) I got some Tesco's own brand ones and they are just 20 calories for one :) they take me a while to eat too as I hate biting lollies!

Not thought of Ice lolly's so thats a good one :)

Does anyone know what eating celery does to help with diets?

x

Hey Nee

I assuming you are referring to it's supposed status as a 'negative calorie' food ie that it using more calories to eat and digest it than it contains.

Hate to burst a bubble but negative calorie foods are a big ole myth. Although it is low in calories. I believe it's something like 10% of your calorie intake that is burned through the process of eating and digesting food, whatever food that is. So if celery is 10kcal (dunno just guessing on that one), you'll still be left with 9kcal at the end.

Take into account that if you are calorie counting and have worked out your calorie intake usin your BMR, then that takes into account the amount of calories you use eating, breathing, generally living.

Sorry bout that, still if you like it it's certainly not a bad food to munch on.

Hey Nee

I assuming you are referring to it's supposed status as a 'negative calorie' food ie that it using more calories to eat and digest it than it contains.

Hate to burst a bubble but negative calorie foods are a big ole myth. Although it is low in calories. I believe it's something like 10% of your calorie intake that is burned through the process of eating and digesting food, whatever food that is. So if celery is 10kcal (dunno just guessing on that one), you'll still be left with 9kcal at the end.

Take into account that if you are calorie counting and have worked out your calorie intake usin your BMR, then that takes into account the amount of calories you use eating, breathing, generally living.

Sorry bout that, still if you like it it's certainly not a bad food to munch on.

Thats not actually why I asked. I stopped by a market stool today and picked up some Kiwi's and said its for my diet, and they guy said 'oh you want celery then' I said why is it good for dieting, and he said yes its supposed to be.

hence why I asked how it does it work when dieting :)

Fruit and vegetables are fantastic for snacking - can't really beat them!

Dairylea do little individual pots of dipping cheese that are only 50cals. I use these for everything! Sandwiches, toast & beans (instead of butter or spread), dipping carrots... everything!!

Fruit and vegetables are fantastic for snacking - can't really beat them!

Dairylea do little individual pots of dipping cheese that are only 50cals. I use these for everything! Sandwiches, toast & beans (instead of butter or spread), dipping carrots... everything!!

Thats a good idea :)

My issue is when I need a snack I automatically think of bad foods, which is why I thought of starting this thread so If i wanna have a crazy moment I can do it on little cal's

I found this article about the benefits of eating celery. Unfortunately does not seem to mention burning calories at a record rate but still worth eating by the looks of it:

Research has shown that celery contains blood pressure reducing properties. Celery contains active compounds called Pthalides which relax the muscles of the arteries that regulate blood pressure allowing these vessels to dilate. Pthalides also reduce stress hormones which can cause blood vessels to constrict.
Celery is an excellent source of Vitamin C with all its health benefits. Vitamin C can help to reduce cold symptoms or the severity of cold symptoms during the winter months. This important Vitamin helps to support the immune system and is a cold fighter!
Celery also provides fibre (see High Fibre Diet), and essential minerals such as Folacin and Potassium.
Nor surprising then that Celery has a long history of use, first as a medicine and then later as a food.
Celery can obviously be eaten on its own but is also a tasty addition to many cooked dishes: stir fry dishes, soups, stews and casseroles.

Thanks for that, thats alot of info ay :)

Any other low calorie things we know of?

I bought some Muller lights yesterday and they had like 90 odd calories, was quite shocked :eek:

Back