What gets you through??

Miss_J

Hi everyone am hoping to start SW next week and will be doing it from home, my downfall is night time munchies, or anytime munchies actually! Im a sucker for crisps and dip! What snacks do you all have when you get those munchies or what do u do to keep them at bay!?

Thanks x

One of my big downfalls was popcorn on a Friday night as we sit and watch a film with the kids, I now have a big bowl of crispy kale covered with salt and granulated sweetener, really hits the spot!

Also if I'm doing a red or green day I normally find I have an A and B left at night for cheese and crackers, yum!

I'm not managing to get through at the moment and will soon have my head in gear again, but when I am in the zone I liked things such as carrot sticks dipped into plain yogurt, garlic and chive homemade dip. Syn free and did satisfy that crunch needed. I guess a ryvita or two dipped in would be ok too.

I find sweet things more difficult to resist and really can't stand Muller lights so I'm struggling on that front!

I've pretty much given up evening snacking, partly down to the fact that pre SW I got terrible bedtime heartburn and got through gallons of Gaviscon.

My snacking was just a habit and breaking it took determination and practise. I try not to have my evening meal too early (between 6-7pm usually) which makes sure I don't get hungry later. I also find a glass of Pepsimax is often enough to see off any cravings. If I really want food I crunch on some apple or carrot sticks.

For me SW is basically about training yourself that when you're hungry you shouldn't be reaching for chocolate, crisps etc. Whilst it's the first thing I want to take I've been going to the fridge and getting strawberries, apples and grapes. After this week (God damn social events), I'm going to probably be treating myself 1/2 times a week to a kit kat (if my syns allow) to give me my little chocolate fix but remain within my syns.

If you eat a well planned meal it should keep you going until the next meal without snacking but if you must, have a piece of fruit or a carrot stick which you can prepare beforhand and keep in the fridge, or if you have spare syn's a Hi-Hi Bar!

If I have chocolate craving I have a hot chocolate either a Highlight or an Options and have some fruit with it. Sometimes if you try having a glass of water and waiting 10-15min rather than giving in to a craving works as well.

Sent from my iPhone using MiniMins

Cheese on Toast , or cheese and bean or cheese and ham or cheese and onion toasties (hea and heb)

Curly Wurly slightly frozen

Wotsits, French Fries, or other very low syn crisps

Frozen Toffee Mullerlight, topped with banana and curly wurly

mini Meringues nest, raspberry and cranberry muller, strawberries, raspberries and blueberries

For me its fruit fruit, and more fruit. Also choc options and alpen light bars. And sugar free jelly made up with fat free fromage frais, a massive bowl for 1.5 syns, gives a nice sweet hit. :)

I tried these cherry bakewell ones last week. They are OK but I do prefer the choc n fudge. Not really keen on the chunky of cherry in them, but I do like the flavour of the almonds. I love bakewell tart, (well can just remember the taste, not had one for sooooo long you understand) ha ha

I had a choc & coconut 1 last week, they are beautiful BUT not a LIGHT alpen bar. 5 syns in fact. I dont know if you could have 1 as a HEB or not as you can have 1 hi fi instead of 2 hi fi LIGHT bars. If somebody could verify that for me, i would be very grateful as i would have 1 of these as a HEB & have it after tea to supress choc urges.
Amy x

Velvet crunch crisps! They're only 4 syns and yummy.

It depends whether you actually mean snacks, or treats. In the case of snacks I try to go for Free/SuperFree foods, although it's not often I actually feel hungry after meals - they're so nutritious and filling they mostly keep me going.

I always allow myself a treat though. Before SW I could easily sit down to the soaps with a family size bag of crisps, biscuits, chocolate bars, etc. and eat the lot! Now I make more sensible choices, which are within my Syns, yet still feel like a treat. The type of things I go for are:

Alpen Lights: 3 Syns each or 2 for a Healthy B choice. I tend to use them as my Healthy B - one in the morning with some fruit for breakfast, and 1 for on a night with a cup of tea and the soaps.

Velvet Crunch: A great alternative to crisps at just 4 Syns per packet. A real "bargain" Syn-wise, when a standard packet of Walkers crisps are 9 Syns!!

Freddo: Great for a chocolate fix, and just 5 Syns each! Lasts even longer if you pop it in the freezer for a few minutes.

Curly Wurly: 6 Syns each and so worth it! I freeze mine for a few minutes, snap it up into loads of little bits and suck on each bit piece by piece - lasts ages that way!

Cadbury Mini Animals: I find these really hit the spot if I'm craving something biscuity! I get them from the poundshop in a multipack of about 6 - for 5.5 Syns a packet, they're not bad. Plus they satisfy cravings for biscuit and chocolate - two birds with one stone!

The great thing about all of these things is that they're low Syn. If I really wanted I could have an Alpen Light (using my Healthy B choice), a packet of Velvet Crunch, a Curly Wurly and a Freddo and still be within my daily Syns allowance of 15 Syns.

There are allsorts of things you can have! These are the things that really keep me going though - I know without them I'd be craving "naughty" foods that bad that I'd end up cracking and having a mega binge.

I have my alpen lights at night with my choc options for a nice choccy fix! As I do the red and green plans I always save my second heb for these:)

I'm going to try these instead of buying lollies I think (using vanilla yogurt).

Frozen Yogurt Dipped Strawberries | Hungry Healthy Happy

I also like making a batch of syn free houmous and dipping carrot sticks in.

Or a batch of syn-free soup is sometimes good. (If I get bad munchies I make spicy mushroom with egg noodles in chicken oxo soup)

I get hungry at night too, around 8 o'clock. But I usually have syns left to play with. So I have something with some fruit.

Yesterday I only had about 2 and half syns!! So I had an options hot chocolate (caribean coconut flavour is lush everyone!!) And a baby belle light, then had a tangerine too.

There's loads of stuff u can eat for munchies. How about a snack pack of grapes, cherries or other fruit? A banana? Bowl of chopped strawberries? Or chocolate cravings like everyone else said freddo 5 syns, curly wurly 6 syns or a mini milky bar 3.5 syns? Oh and those greek mullers half syn each are good!! Or if you've had your syns a regular muller light.

List is endless! :)

One of my big downfalls was popcorn on a Friday night as we sit and watch a film with the kids, I now have a big bowl of crispy kale covered with salt and granulated sweetener, really hits the spot!

Also if I'm doing a red or green day I normally find I have an A and B left at night for cheese and crackers, yum!

Oooh, could I please have the crispy kale recipe? Sounds yummy.

Back