What is a low calorie dinner?

W5CHELS

The basics of a diet is too eat less calories but I was wondering how much would you say a low calorie diet is?

I worked out my dinner was 836 calories tonight which to me means nothing because I don't know how much I should aim for in a dinner. But I think that sounds high

My dinner was made up of:

Tesco light cheese and onion sandwich
Muller light yoghurt
Chicken bites
Tropicana tropical fruit juice
WW bar
Apple and grape snack pack

So what should I aim for?

I'm on slimfast so limted to max of 600 cals for dinner, which I think is a fair amount. A lot of the weight watcher/ supermarket own brand slimming meals dinners are about 300-450 cals. I sometimes have these and add some salad or veg, or cook my own low cal dinner. It of course depends on how many calories you're aiming for a day, just try and split them up a bit over the day.

A healthier meal would be a piece of grilled fish or meat with lots of vegetables. I don't think a Tesco sarnie and all the industrial stuff is very nutritious if it's your main meal of the day IMHO.

if you are calorie counting, i dont think it matters how many calories a certain meal is just so long as you dont go over you daily allowance, you should chose something that is going to fill you up though so you are not tempted to snack on bad foods later on. i am following paul mckenna at the moment which is not a diet as such i can still eat what i fancy and what i want, i just eat real slow making sure i am chewing properly and make sure i stop when i am full, and also only eat when i am hungry, no food is restricted, so sometimes my eveing meal consits of 900 cals, sometimes only 300 i just try and keep an eye on what i am having throughout the day and then i can make the right choice come dinner time.

I was only eating this because I'm away for work and I didn't wanna eat in the restaurant and ruin my good work with a greasy steak and chips!

I'm not really calorie counting, just being sensible and cutting back on fatty foods

Sorry about that, W5CHELS. It's much harder of you're not at home. Can you take a packed meal?

A healthier meal would be a piece of grilled fish or meat with lots of vegetables. I don't think a Tesco sarnie and all the industrial stuff is very nutritious if it's your main meal of the day IMHO.

I was going to say the same.... I found eating those sorts of tit bits almost always made me extremely peckish and I have since found out that it is because it contains msg.

I have stir fry veggies with lots of fresh garlic, ginger & chilli. I either add a chopped chicken breast or fresh salmon. A splash of soy sauce makes it just perfect. It is very low cal. I feel really full after that, but if I need something just to round it off, I have a small plain yoghurt or fat free milk with hot chocolate.

I would also try and eat your biggest meal during the day if possible. It will save you going to bed with too many calories to digest.

Good luck with your eating plan...... :)

xx

I was only eating this because I'm away for work and I didn't wanna eat in the restaurant and ruin my good work with a greasy steak and chips!

I'm not really calorie counting, just being sensible and cutting back on fatty foods

Isn't it awful being in these sort of situations..... they really make it difficult for us.

I was really stuck this past weekend when we went to a restaurant. I ended up having a small fillet steak with serving of veggies. We shared a sticky toffee pudding with cream..... YUM!

My philosophy has always been to have quality rather than quantity....
I have made friends with eating out, trying my hardest to choose healthiest options, but I'm sticking to NO CARBS for dinner..... and I'm feeling much better after meals out now - not so stuffed and bloated.

xx

ye working away makes it so hard, I've done good so far though.

and patchninja what do you mean by my own packed meal?

OK Take something in a plastic tub!
Spring rolls.
Get some spring roll wrappers and soak them in water. In a bowl mix sliced spring onion, sliced cucumber, sliced chicken or cooked prawns, bean sprouts, a little soy sauce. Roll this up and eat dipped into spring roll sauce or sweet chili sauce.

Rice or pasta salad.
Coook rice or pasta and add : cooked peas, cucumber, tomatoes, spring onion, peppers etc. Add a vinaigrette ( 1/4 wine vinegar, 3/4 oil, salt and pepper, small spoon french mustard, shake ûp and pour on).

This is a good recipe for a packed meal :
Weight watchers ham and courgette flan.

Servings : 6, 5.5 points per serving.

1 clove garlic
500G small courgettes
1 soup spoon olive oil
2 sprigs thyme
12 stoned black olives
120g plain flour
4 small eggs
20cl skimmed milk
1 soup spoon chopped basil
8 slices parma ham or similar (170g)
salt and pepper.

Heat the oven to 210°c
Peel and crush the garlic. Cut washed courgettes into small batons. Halve them length ways if necessary.
Heat the oil in a pan. Add courgettes, thyme and garlic. Cook gently until all the liquid has evaporated and the courgettes are cooked to your liking.
Halve the olives. In another bowl, pour the flour and add the beaten eggs one at a time.Add salt and pepper then whisk in the milk.Add the olives and basil.
In a baking dish, spread out the courgettes and pour the egg mix on top. Push in pieces of ham and bake for 35 to 40 mins. It's good hot or cold.
have fun!

Back