What is Calorie Counting

JD&Coke

Hi Everyone

Might seem like the most stupid question but what is calorie counting?
Is it literally the calories on the packet or the kcals????
I've been reading a few diary and 1200 seems to be the norm??

Oh and are peppers free? I'm a little obsessed with peppers :)
Thank you x

The 'calories' listed on food packets are actually kcals if you look carefully - 1kcal=1cal, but a single calorie is usually only used in scientific pursuits.

1200kcal (1200 calories for short :) ) does seem to be pretty normal, and it isn't usually recommended to go bellow 1000 per day. You just make a note of all the calories you eat in a day and try not to go over your target; following other healthy goals like low fat/sat fat/sugar and eating more veggies, lean protein and whole grains is sensible.

Some people don't count calories in most veg, since they tend to be so few (30kcal in 100g of peppers, for example), but it's really personal choice. I enjoyed counting every single calorie, so I did so, some people don't like the fiddle of weighing lettuce. Be careful of certain veggies like carrots and sweetcorn, which are relatively high in natural sugars.

My advice is if you're knew to calorie counting, count everything that goes into your body - you'll get a feel of what's so negligible it's not worth counting.

Good luck with your weight loss journey!

Thank you, today is now day two, was gonna give ww a try but think i'll prefer calorie counting, makes more sense to me x :):)

Hi, I agree with you calories is definitely much easier than points/syns etc! I use food focus to track my food and excercise and its free. I think from what i can gather is similiar to my fitness pal.

Good luck.

I have got the iphone 4 and the app i have got is calorie count was £1.59 i think can track ure allowance for the whole 8 days and fitness etc.
really useful x

Back