What is it about scales?

Staffdieter

Can I ask a question, or two?

Why do we aim for a specific weight loss, when we actually want to get into a certain dress size?

Why do we let ourselves be de-railed by rogue weigh ins that are distorted by water retention, the heat and who knows what else, when what is really important is how well we have stuck to our plan?

Do scales and weighing yourself really help, or do they hinder?

I like the scales, but you're right that really, it's the clothes aspect that's the most satisfying - getting into the clothes I like and feeling good in them is the best.

Oh Staff, you are so right. After all, its our clothes which give the best indication isn't it? I often feel like locking the scales away, but so far haven't quite got the courage

I was thinking about this exact same thing not long ago... People wouldn't care what their weight was if they could get into a pair of size 8 topshop jeans.

I have always been very ruled by the scales when I have tried to lose weight previously but not this time. I am at university and have no scales. I'm following the slimming world program but doing it alone plus I'm doing a ton of exercise. I'm only gonna bother to way myself whenever I go home (maybe once a month if that?) I need to be less obsessed with the numbers and make it all about the actual inch loss!

I agree I think. Don't have any scales at the moment (am debating whether to buy some new ones or not ), haven't weighed myself since before I gt pregnant and consequently haven't a clue how much I weigh. This is a actually helping my diet in that previously the scales could affect my mood on a day to day basis, so that a "bad" reading could lead me to throwing a hissy fit and going off for a pizza, an even a "good" reading could make me think 'well that's given me some lee-way, what shall I eat?!?'. Without the morning weigh in I can just focus on how hungry I actually feel and make balanced choices. However, without a physical check in its easy for me to kid myself about how I look- and clothes sizes vary so much in different shops. Stark numbers can give me a reality check, and I'm not talking About a pound or two fluctuation but I can kid myself to a stone and half each way. So I think the best thing for me might be to weigh only occasionally (fortnight perhaps) on a boots scales, so my mornings can't be ruined by, as you point out, a quite arbitratrary set of numbers .

I like the idea of checking in on boots scales fortnightly/monthly! I've only been dieting a week and I really want to know how I'm doing already!

Personally, weighing myself is a definite hindrance. I've been obsessed with it in the past, to the point of developing eating disorders. Now, at the age of 50, I'm hoping I've finally cracked it, after 30 years of yo-yo dieting. I only get weighed every two months, by my GP, and it is immensely liberating! I've lost over six stone so far, so it's working really well for me. xx

Scales are even more addictive than foods. People can give up foods but never their scales.

i have put my scales in the bin because i was weighing my self every day and getting my self down when it showed i was not loseing weight

Back