What is it with people???

Rayven

Addicted to Minimins!
Why're people so against this diet? They find out you're following something as strict as SS and even though you feel fine and the weights coming off they still either
-don't think you can stick with it
-think the weight will go straight back on again
-think you obviously must be making yourself ill
-think you are verging on anorexia
and can't stop going on about it!
:sigh: I 'knew' there was a reason i didn't want people to know!

Tell me about it I was a bit down the other night
1-Just split with fella
2-Hate my job
3-Just got back from a brill holiday ( don't wanna be here anymore)
4-Money issues

But oh no none of that coud possibly be why i am not life and soul of the party must be coz i'm not eating. Have told them till i am blue in the face that i have so much more energy than normal but no they know best of course

Aww chick ..... don't let them get you down!! The diet doubters will always be around and you just have to stay strong and remember all the reasons you are doing this. It is safe and controlled (with your CDC) and sure some people think it's a little drastic, but being overweight is much more unhealthy long term.

You are doing great - chin up hun and ignore the unhelpful negative comments x

It is because they do not Understand or want to come to that, it is a healthy way to lose weight..\it is ignorance.
Also it can be a jealousy thing..because they know that they haven't the strength to do it.

Its just really annoying! Obviously you can't have a life or be happy without food. Thats the thinking that started me on this diet in the first place, to prove to myself that i CAN be happy and positive without food. And i have to say i feel more positive about life than i have in a long time. Seems that you mention CD and people stick their hands over thier ears, just wish people could be more supportive.

Don't let them get you down, you are doing fantastically. Just keep coming on Mini's the support on here is brilliant. hunx

Most of it is jealousy!

When folks are used to seeing you heavier and you are the fat jolly one, they are worried that when you are thin and gorgeous you will outshine them!

Folks have problems with their husbands/partners in the same way - they get used to seeing us the way we have always been and then they become frightened of change. The status quo has been altered.

I have had some strange conversations with folks - they start out by telling me how fabulous I look, how healthy my skin is, how vibrant I am, etc. Then want to know how to lose weight themselves.
As soon as I tell them all I get is -

"that diet isn't healthy"
"you will make yourself ill"
"I thought you knew better than that"
"what an idiot"
"oh I couldn't possibly give up food!" (that woman is at least 15 stones overweight!)

etc

So now when they ask which diet I am doing I smile sweetly at them and turn the subject around!

Just ignore them and carry on regardless.

I know exactly what you are going through!

Everyone says to me - but you don't look 20 stones!! Why go on a diet??
Duh, because I was having severe chest pains and I couldn't walk 3 feet without breaking into a sweat might have something to do with it!!!

As HM said, people don't actually understand the science behind this diet and are afraid of what they don't know, or are jealous that you are loosing it so quickly!
I just listen to what people have to say and then disregard it!! I have made up my mind to stick to this until I am skinny and NO ONE is going to stop me!

It's definitely to do with both ignorance and jealousy. I have told as few people as possible I am trying to lose weight precisely so that they do not study everything going passed my lips and because too many people are judgemental about CD.

They don't bother to listen to how the diet works (even after specifically asking you the question) and just latch onto not actually eating normal foods when on SS. I don't understand why they ask questions and manage to instantly condemn a diet that they don't know anything about. I can understand my parents' generation as they don't always understand the complexities of protein, carbohydrates etc but often others prefer not to bother to understand. Bit like when lots of people slagged off the Atkins diet yet a lot thought you weren't eating any carbs at all - they just couldn't be bothered to find out the truth about the diet.

Whenever you lose weight the green-eyed monster you'd never normally notice suddenly appears all around you. They are jealous of your self-control, your confidence, your increased attractiveness or just the fact that your weight loss has focussed more attention than usual on the dieter.

I would be very pleased for someone if they lost weight and became healthier and looked good. It is just a shame that such a thing as jealousy exists - it is such a horrible destructive emotion.

That is why I havent told anyone (except OH and my mam) about me doing this.

I have made my mind up that, like you, I will stick with this, and nobody can talk me out of it.

BUT it doesnt stop me worying that if I tell people, they will try to notheless. And if I happen to be having a bad day, I might just crack and give in. I might mention it when my loss is obvious, but untill then, I will keep SS a secret all to myself - and obviously you lot on here!!

WE know that it is safe, well researched etc, but anyone who doesnt understand (or doesnt want to understand) is bound do doubt it. It is one of those things where it seems too good to be true, when the truth is - this can be the HARDEST diet in the world (just as easily as it can be the best and easiest!!). You results do not come as easily as it would appear at first glance.

We just need to ignore the doubters, and we will prove to them, that not only will we lose the weight, we will keep it off as well, because Cambridge teaches us to re-introduce food sensibly.

Okay, I am stepping down from this high horse now!!

Am just passionate about it!! Can you tell???

I'm just sick of being told that I'll put it all back on again - well yes I will if I eat the way I did before, that's the same of any diet!

People are so quick to say its not healthy, bad for you etc, but never seem to remember how unhealthy being overweight is! I agree that its jealousy in most cases.

*sigh* I don't think i'm going to tell anyone else to be honest. My Oh was the only one that knew, i've asked him not to tell family or anyone else what i'm doing just yet as i need to get to grips with it myself first. I only told my friend as we used to go to Slimming World together & she was wondering what diet i was doing now. I thought she'd be supportive, but obviously not!
Anyway, we all know what a great diet it is. And to get to grips with my weight i NEEDED to take food out of the equation, because i can't do conventional diets. I can go all day without eating but the second i do eat something (however healthy) then foods all i can think about and inevitably i will end up having a binge. It might take a few days but it will happen.
The thing this diets taught me (even though i've only been on it 8 days) is that i CAN live without food and i've taken the control back. For me i felt that this was the only way i could lose weight at the moment - people just don't get that.
Oh well, their loss. Back to the positives - how's everyone doing today? I'm one shake and 3 litres of water down, can't wait to weigh in tomorrow - just hope i'm not disappointed.

You know, last night I called a client to see how she was doing. She has had all this within 24 hours of starting.
I told her to tell them that if Cambridge was so bad for you then why the hell are we allowed to go on it??? There are tests that were done and documented and if it was dangerous the Cambridge would not be allowed to trade.

This is the thing, people with a high BMI have to go and see their doctor before they start. If it was that bad then he wouldn't agree to let people go on it in the first place.

Just on that note, my BMI was fairly low (27ish) and my CDC made me get doctors permission anyway (no contra-indications or anything) just peace of mind I suppose ... !

I get this too. And, now I'm restarting after a few months off, it seems to be worse!

So many people are saying to me "oh, you don't need to loose any more weight - here, have a biscuit" that I could scream!!!

I DO need to loose more weight - I STILL WEIGH 18 STONES - I AM NOT HEALTHY!!!!!

*Annnnd.........breathe* :p

My OH is being brilliant. He's helping me through the first few weeks of SS by stopping me talking myself into eating. He has promised to physically restrain me if I try and get into the biscuit tin and tie me to a chair to keep me away from the bread bin! Bless him, he's so great.

My immediate colleagues (all men) are fab too - very supportive and encoouraging of me. Telling me I'm gorgeous and that they are really proud of me - I love them for it.

But the women who work in other departments are quite critical of it. I wish I hadn't told them which diet I'm on now because they also say "it can't be healthy", "the weight will go straight back on" and all the other things mentioned here. It HAS to be jealousy, doesn't it??

I get this too. And, now I'm restarting after a few months off, it seems to be worse!

So many people are saying to me "oh, you don't need to loose any more weight - here, have a biscuit" that I could scream!!!

I DO need to loose more weight - I STILL WEIGH 18 STONES - I AM NOT HEALTHY!!!!!

*Annnnd.........breathe* :p

My OH is being brilliant. He's helping me through the first few weeks of SS by stopping me talking myself into eating. He has promised to physically restrain me if I try and get into the biscuit tin and tie me to a chair to keep me away from the bread bin! Bless him, he's so great.

My immediate colleagues (all men) are fab too - very supportive and encoouraging of me. Telling me I'm gorgeous and that they are really proud of me - I love them for it.

But the women who work in other departments are quite critical of it. I wish I hadn't told them which diet I'm on now because they also say "it can't be healthy", "the weight will go straight back on" and all the other things mentioned here. It HAS to be jealousy, doesn't it??

Definately Jealousy...........No doubt about that!

Don't listen to people

Hi ya, just ignore people.

I lost nearly 7 stone years ago by not really eating, yes I did it in just over 6 months, but all I ate was veg, salad and occasionally soup. I know I lost the weight, but it was very unhealthy and I would never do it again. I've never regained all the weight, but needed to lose about 1 1/2 - 2 stone and I have to say the cambridge diet is fantastic, it works and it easy and more importantly you're not hungry. I love it!! Just keep going, ignore everyone and watch their jealousy when you're lovely and slim.

I did CD previously about 18 years ago as I put on 5 stones by bingeing after stopping smoking. There was a girl in my team who had just started on a diet and I didn't want us to end up in some sort of competition so I only told my OH. I worked fairly local and as I had recently bought a puppy I had a good reason to have to come home for lunch.

I cheated all the time back then by sucking packs of fruit gums at work so that people would think I was eating sweets so couldn't be on a diet. I lost 4 stones in 3 months so obviously they all noticed then but I really liked the fact that I had this secret and for some reason I just felt that I could do it better if no-one was aware of it and watching every piece of food I ate.

I maintained my weight for many years afterwards so they weren't able to slag of the diet. Over the past couple of years I've had one family crisis after another (bereavements and the like) and have been guilty of comfort eating again so after trying various diets and not being successful, I've returned to CD.

This time a few more family members know and they are watching what I eat and drink and making the odd comment. Most think I'm 'skin and bones' or my face is gaunt and I'm still overweight. I think it's their problem and they need some time to get used to me being slimmer again. I really do wish I could do it without anyone knowing though.

Back