What made you...........

Ive been overweight since late teens but about 2 years ago it got a little out of control. Ive been so unhappy & Ive tried many things. My friend who I work with told me she was rejoining SW, explained a bit to me & I thought it might actually work so I started going in March & havn't looked back.

Ive still got a long way to go but Ive never been more comfortable about being on a 'diet' (hate using that word!)

A photo of myself at the zoo with my kids did it for me, as well as my clothes being tight (photo is in my profile page if you wanna have a look).

A photo where, despite wearing a black and meant-to-be slimming dress, my belly rolls are clearly visible... grim!!

Needless to say that dress has now gone :D

Also I'd just lost all confidence in the way I looked and was in the right frame of mind to make a change, and for once I was thinking long term rather than the usual "I must lose x stone in x months", a big mindset shift for me.

I've been over weight all my life, but for me, the straw that broke the camel's back was seeing a picture of myself ( the first one in my pics in my signature...April 07 ). Looking at that picture, there was no way I could deny any longer how bad things had become.

I think turning 40 must have been what did it for me. On the last day of my 40th year I walked right out of a job I'd been in for nine years, that was basically killing me with stress. Nothing else to go to. A week later I had a new job I love, and the difference it made to my life was incredible.

I guess that made me realise it was possible to make big changes that seem impossible. I started Food Optimising and revolutionised my eating. Since then I've also given up smoking and gone from being a rampant carnivore to a vegan!

So yeah. 40 was kind of significant for me, in retrospect. :p

A few things......my beautiful beloved Dad died and my bestie since primary school was mega warned by the doc to lose weight or else made me assess my life.:( I needed to get my act together and get healthy. Me and bestie go to class together and keep each other going. I'm sure my dad is encouraging me all the way :hug99:(as well as OH and daughter).
Loving this site and meeting you all xx

i got to the stage where i would dread going to family gatherings as i felt uncomfortable with my body , and felt like they would all be there thinking "hasnt she put weight on" also walking past any mirrors and seeing what was starring back at me.

but ive mad the comitment to change things now , and have achieved my stone award today that im really chuffed about , and enjoying my slimming world journey, and discovering how friendly everyone on here is

I don't recall ever deciding to go onto a diet, but it feels like I have been dieting for 20 odd years :(

Until joining SW though, every diet was a struggle, eating things I didn't really want, and more importantly not eating the things I did want. And of course once I inevitably fell off those diets I had learned nothing about how to eat and put all teh weight I had lost back on, plus more. It was a vicious circle.

And then came SW into my life :)

I want to lose weight for so many reasons, the main one being I wanna take my kids swimming and I am too embarrassed to go now. I also wanna be able to get clothes in normal clothes shops, not over-sized clothes shops two hours away by car. I want my kids to be healthy and fit (as they are) and I have to lead by example. I want my wife to find me sexy!! (of course she says she does anyway, but I want to believe it for myself), and I want to live as long as possible and be fit enough to enjoy my life to the max :)

I was in a bad relationship and as binge eating something terrible...I joined SW then and lost a load of weight....But ex was always chipping away and started resenting me going to class....I eventually stopped going to have a quiet life....
I got the strength to end that relationship and I have never been happier....
My OH, myself and my inlaws went on a cruise to Hong Kong and the far east and after coming home and looking at the pics..
Also some school friends I hadn't seen for a while met up and we were having a chat and the subject came onto weight...One of them said they were always jealous of me when we were growing up because I was the slim one....That sort of brought it home to me...What i'd actually done to my body....
The combination of the holiday and my friends feelings spurred me on to join the class.....

Hopefully I shall keep the weight off....I have no intention of ever getting myself in a situation I felt I had no control over....

Good luck to everyone

All the stories are very thought provoking and I hope we all find happiness when we reach our goals

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Originally (2 years ago) I was shocked into losing weight as I weighed myself having not done so for months and was horrified to be 14st 4, which was way more than my 6ft 4 boyfriend!

I lost 3 stone but then chrsitmas came, and I put a few pounds on, and then an illness and surgery made me fall completely off the wagon and I put on lots of weight taking me back up to 13st 12.

We started to plan our wedding and like all brides I knew I had to lose weight, we booked a wedding planning trip (we're getting married at Disneyworld) and so my Dad paid for his personal trainer to train me, and I started working with him to get me in shape for my wedding dress and also to get some fitness so I'd have good stamina to walk around theme parks for 2 weeks.

I lost about 10 pounds in the lead up to this trip, and noticed a difference in my figure for sure.

Whilst we were away we met with our wedding photographers and had a triel run with them, getting the photos back wasn't too pleasant for me. I adore our photographers, but lets just say my various flabby parts make a lot of the photos uncomfortable for me to look at!

This was the worst offender:

8735_294864455083_821450083_9337228_6947240_n.jpg

I know in theory it's a super cute photo, but all I see is my jabbly chin and my jabbly arm and the over the top of my dress fat.

I am now determined that not one of my wedding photos will have any jabbling in!

Originally (2 years ago)This was the worst offender:

8735_294864455083_821450083_9337228_6947240_n.jpg

I know in theory it's a super cute photo, but all I see is my jabbly chin and my jabbly arm and the over the top of my dress fat.

I am now determined that not one of my wedding photos will have any jabbling in!
Isn't it starnge how we only see the bad parts in ourselves. i looked at this photo and saw a beautiful happy smiling woman xx

For me it was the thought i wouldn't live to see my children grow up,if I didn't change my lifestyle.Also my son commented on my weight.When I asked him had anyone said anything about my weight in school, he hesitated before answering no.The thought he may have been teased because of his"fat mam" was enough for me to join SW and come on here,(so glad i did )

I happened to weigh myself and was horrified to see I was 13 stone, at least a good stone heavier than I was the last time I weighed myself (and at that time I already knew I was overweight). The big shock was that my BMI was just into the obese part - I realised if I carried on my weight would slowly get bigger. Also I am training to be a teacher and I think being a overweight one is not really a good role model!

My sister was getting married and I didn't want to be a fat bridesmaid in the photos. So I found myself browsing the mags in McColl's one day and was looking at the 7-day menu plan in the SW mag. I still have that mag and it was the cooked breakfast followed by fruit and yoghurt that sold me on it. The rest as they say is history. 7 stone down in 11 months and my sister didn't have me as a bridesmaid - instead she had her best friend who must have been at least a size 22 in the photos :)

Back