What should I be aiming for

katoof

Silver Member
Ok so I have ALOT to loose! My club 10 is 304lbs. I am 24st3, makes me cringe to write it. I am 5ft 5 but I have no idea what my goal end weight should be. I know I am years off getting to that stage but I feel it may help to have a goal weight.

Any suggestions, who else is 5ft 5 ish??

Have you got a book? In the pack there should be a chart that shows what you 'should' be...but I wouldn't suggest aiming for small stages that you have broken down and giving yourself lots of rewards for getting to each one and then see if you ge tto a place where you feel happy!! And give yourself a big pat on the back for writing down your weight and facing your journey...its hard doing that whatever the weight figure is if you aren't happy with it! Good luck! :)

Just go for a stone at a time and see how you feel. Slimming world are great as they don't set your target weight for you, you do it yourself

You don't need to set your target weight yet - you can decide whatever weight you need to be, and SW won't force you to choose something as it's entirely up to you.

There are people on here who have set their own targets well above a healthy BMI, but if they're happy, and feel healthy, then that's fine. I know what i'd like to be weight wise, but i'm not going to beat myself up if I get near it and decide i'm happy enough there.

Small targets are the way forward, and if you focus on SW as being a lifestyle change then it'll help you feel less like you're following a diet, which personally I think helps in the long run.

It's entirely up to you what you put as your target. I too would make interim targets. As a suggestion what about 19st 13 the reason I say that is it's just below 20st & being in the next stone bracket is a wonderful feeling and also being in the teens will give you a massive boost.

ok, thanks everyone, might put on some smaller targets!

112 - 143lbs or 51 - 65kgs according to the NHS. They say that if you are a small frame you should be aiming for the lower end of the scale and vice versa

That said they say I should be 54 to 68kg which would make me positively waif like! The last time I lost a lot of weight I got to 95kg and was very happy at a curvy size 16!

Maybe you could give yourself targets which are very achievable and then see when you want to stop when you get a bit closer? :)

Why not think of things like, say, 299lbs, then 250lbs, then break it down like that. Or you could just go for a stone at a time!

I need to lose a rediculous amount of weight to be deemed healthy based on a chart created 50 years ago when body shapes were different. I'm aiming to lose 8 - 10 stone but if I get to a size 14/16 before then then i will stop. I'm 5' 9" and wudnt suit being skinny.

I have given myself some targets now... the first one is to get to 24 st which means loosing 3 lbs, I just need to see my first loss and to feel this is going to work as I am sticking to it 100%

Good luck, if you follow the plan 100% you'll find yourself ticking those targets off in no time!

Good luck! It will work if you are doing it 100%. I've seen some people with amazing weight losses over the years I've been stopping and starting at SW. The key seems to be that they stick at it- which I haven't in the past but am determined to this time round.

on that note, does there seem to be any difference in losses between the three meal plans... I have started on green but is one program ment to be better than the others??

Got my first weigh in on Wednesday, I would love to loose them three pounds and hit my first target on week one!

I am so glad I have found this site, everyone is so helpful! I only joined yesterday!

as other's have said - there's no need to be setting a final target figure as yet. Break it down into smaller chunks. Be that each half stone award, or, as I did - find something to aim for, and being realistic, work out how much i'd have to weigh to be happy for that date.

My first one after joining in December 08 was to get below 20st (which meant having to loose 7st8.5) in time for my brother's wedding in August 09. I was being realistic - i knew starting when i did i was never going to be a healthy weight by then - but i managed my target (in fact i got my 8st award the weigh-in before the wedding). My next was to get to a 10st loss by halloween that year - made that too. The next was to be at 15st by my birthday at the end of March 2010 - i got there mid-March. Never once did i starve myself or anything along the way to get to these targets - i just worked at sticking to plan.

Looking at the big picture early in the journey when you have a lot to loose can be quite depressing - it always seems to be soooo far away and like we will never get there. breaking it down and concentrating on mini-targets along the way makes it all so much more easier to keep focus - and keep moving in the right direction.

I'm 5' 4" and my doctor has said ideally I should be somewhere between 9st 7lb and 10 st 7lb - I can't ever imaging being that thin!

When I started out, I wasn't really thinking about weight, I was looking more about dress size and appearance. Even since, I've never really thought about a specific weight target.

A few times I've bought an item of clothing in a size too small to aim for or promised myself a treat when I get to a certain milestone. It's all down to what suits each individual.

I never imagined I could get below a size 20, but once you get the hang of the plan and get into a routine, it's surprising what you can acheive.

Don't feel pressured to make promises that you don't think you can keep - if you fail, it's hard to deal with. Small targets are easier to deal with and a little success more often keeps your spirits high and your attitude positive!

Good Luck katoof - you can do it!

Thanks so much for that. I really cant ever imagine myself being a "normal" weight" I have never been and have always wanted to be but this if the first time I have bit the bullet and am putting 100% into SW.
I am size 30-32 so will not even be able to buy clothes in evans if I get any bigger. I want to be able to buy clothes from more than one shop on the highstreet so my biggest aim is to get to a 18/20.

I also worry about my health. we all know the health risks and I want to feel healthy. I must not give up on this. I just hope it will work, everyone says if you follow the rules it will so I have my fingers crossed for my weigh in

as other's have said - there's no need to be setting a final target figure as yet. Break it down into smaller chunks. Be that each half stone award, or, as I did - find something to aim for, and being realistic, work out how much i'd have to weigh to be happy for that date.

My first one after joining in December 08 was to get below 20st (which meant having to loose 7st8.5) in time for my brother's wedding in August 09. I was being realistic - i knew starting when i did i was never going to be a healthy weight by then - but i managed my target (in fact i got my 8st award the weigh-in before the wedding). My next was to get to a 10st loss by halloween that year - made that too. The next was to be at 15st by my birthday at the end of March 2010 - i got there mid-March. Never once did i starve myself or anything along the way to get to these targets - i just worked at sticking to plan.

Looking at the big picture early in the journey when you have a lot to loose can be quite depressing - it always seems to be soooo far away and like we will never get there. breaking it down and concentrating on mini-targets along the way makes it all so much more easier to keep focus - and keep moving in the right direction.

Wow, how amazing, you have just given me so much hope. I am sure so many people have told you but WELL DONE!!!! It does feel impossible, I think over the past few years I have wanted to loose weight but it has always seemed to big a task as I have so much to loose.

what plan did you do, did you do much exercise on top. I am joining a gym tomorrow and am going to aim to go 3x a week, any exercise is better than nothing right,

Look at our stats we could be twins!

You sound to me like you're doing it for the right reasons (for you, not someone else!) and you seem clear in your mind what you need to do - that is the first big hurdle, along with taking the plunge to join up!

The plan does work and it can change your life!

Keep your chin up, and we're all here if you need that little nudge of encouragement!

Katoof - you sound to me like you're doing it for the right reasons (for you, not someone else!) and you seem clear in your mind what you need to do - that is the first big hurdle, along with taking the plunge to join up!

The plan does work and it can change your life!

Keep your chin up, and we're all here if you need that little nudge of encouragement!

Back