What to do with a butternut squash?

ladypancho

Hi I'm new to this site. I hope I am posting in the right place.
I have a butternut squash that I got in the slimmer of the week basket.
I once tried butternut squash chips and didn't like them and seems to have put me off butternut squashes because I have never bought one since.
Anyone got any idea what I can do with it please?
X

Hi!
Oooh many things, I like to chop it up and put it in a risotto. Or chop it into big chunks and roast it in the oven with some garlic and rosemary! :D

On the WW recipes area there is a great recipe for Red Pepper & Butternut Soup which is delicious. Personally I love the chips. They are just the best with chicken & some salad :)

Chopit up with an onion and some chicken stock - simmer till soft then blend for a lovely thick soup.

Or just chop into chunks and roast in the oven - no need to peel as it goes soft enough to eat.

My mums bringing round a bacon and butternut squash risotto for our tea tomorrow night from the sw cookbook (dad and hubby are deserting us for footie!). Will let you know how it goes (the risotto, not the footie)

I find it very sweet so I like it mixed with other veg in roasted vegetables.

Jen 3 the risotto sounds delicious will have to try one! i love butternut squash but it takes me ages to prepare (i must be doing it wrong i'm sure) however i didn't realise you could eat the peel so that'll save me loads of time lol!

I just left the peel on once when roasting as thought it would be easier to peel when cooked and was amazed at how soft it went!! So now I just eat it - got to be good for you too - isnt the fibre usually in the skin?

For a quick lunch, I take a small butternut squash, cut it in half lengthways, spray it with Frylight and cook it , cut side down, on a baking dish in the oven until it is soft.

Turn it up the right way, scoop out the seeds, sprinkle with some salt, lots of black pepper, and some finely grated parmesan cheese. Eat with a spoon!

Well the bacon and squash risotto was lovely. Even better when cooked by someone else!!!

MMmm - spicy butternut squash soup. My fave!!

For those lazy people out there such as myself, I discovered that M&S sell bags of frozen butternut squash all cut up already for you! As I find it a bit of a chore to cut it up!

X

i either cut it into chunks and roast it and put it in a salad for my lunch with cous cous (flavoured), onions, fresh beetroot, tomatoes, egg and rocket - love it ( free on green)

or i roast it (does take a while) and stuff it with sausages, bacon, onions, mushrooms and cheese (HE) which can be totally free on a red providing you use Joes free sausages.

For those lazy people out there such as myself, I discovered that M&S sell bags of frozen butternut squash all cut up already for you! As I find it a bit of a chore to cut it up!

X

omg i was just thinking how much easier it'd be if you get it already prepared! best get myself to m&s!:D

I've just bought a bag of ready prepared butternut squash in Tesco (reduced as it has today's date on it). Been wondering what it tastes like so will be trying it for tea today.

Back