What to write to a soldier?

Beki

Gold Member
I've just seen a charity who wants people to write to US soldiers who don't recieve any regular mail from home.

I'm at home all day so could use something to fill my time and also hopefully brighten someone elses day! :)

I've been given a name and address to write to, but i haven't got a CLUE what to put in my letter! :eek:

What would you write to someone you know nothing about, and are writing to for the first time?! :eek:

xx

Hi Beki
I would just tell the person about you, what you do, what you are interested in, what is going on here in the UK and ask the person about what is happening with them. You obviously cant write too much until you know the person, however, I am sure they would be happy just to know about you and have a friendly letter.

What a great idea!!

Love

think about the kind of things you put on here when you joined and introduced yourself, maybe a bit less about weight and dieting tho! Ask questions too about their likes and interests.

That sounds like a really cool thing to do-could you pm me the charity's name, i'm in a similar position to you and i think its a great idea

What a brilliant idea. I used to love to have pen pals when I was a teenager and in my early 20's, had loads of them. I also joined a charity group that sent letters to death row prisoners in the US, that was a bit weird at first as I didn't know what to write to them, but they really did enjoy writing and receiving letters as often had nobody else to correspond with.

Yes please could you pm me the details, as haven't written letters for so long and something I'd love to do again. My brother is in the army so I have great respect for our boys out there.

Tell him not to get shot :D

I'd also go with telling him about yourself, asking what he likes or dislikes, whether there are any subjects he'd like you to avoid in subsequent letters (because for starters that subtly tells him you're in this for the long haul, not a once-off), and tell him what life in England is like. Really what he's going to need is someone who leads a normal life, yet cares about who he is and what he's doing.

Just as with regular conversation, I'd steer clear of religion and politics ;)

Back