What vitamins should I be taking please?

TahjmansMum

Hi, am new on here. Have started a diary called 'fed up with buying clothes because they cover me up'. Hope to change that title to something more inspiring in future.

I went to H & B to buy vitamin pills but not sure if I have the right ones. Could you let me know what you are taking please.

Thank you, Annie
On week 4 now, lost 12 lb

Hi, am new on here. Have started a diary called 'fed up with buying clothes because they cover me up'. Hope to change that title to something more inspiring in future.

I went to H & B to buy vitamin pills but not sure if I have the right ones. Could you let me know what you are taking please.

Thank you, Annie
On week 4 now, lost 12 lb

Hi Annie,

In the latest book it says to take an iron-free multivitamin/multimineral and an omega 3 supplement daily.

I don't quite do that, though. I get anaemic very easily, so for one week per month I swap my iron-free multivit for one with iron. I don't take a multimineral, but I do take a calcium supplement with vitamin D. I don't take an omega 3 supplement every day either as most days I eat oily fish.

I find this approach seems to be working for me, but my needs most probably aren't the same as the next person's - we are all unique and we all do the diet in our own ways - so I'm not suggesting anyone else do the same.

Probably best to do it by the book, certainly to start with. :)

Ok, i have the followng from H and B

Potassium 99mg
chromium Picolinate 200pg
calcium with vitamin D3 - 600mg
ABC plus multi vitamin with iron
3 of the 4 of these are huge and not nice to take.

Does this sound right or am I missing something or not needing any of the above please?

Annie

Omega 3
Multivitamin
CLA
Vitamin D
Chromium
Green Tea

The ones he suggests are potassium, multivitamin, chromium and omega 3 I think. The rest is just personal choice.

Ok, i have the followng from H and B

Potassium 99mg
chromium Picolinate 200pg
calcium with vitamin D3 - 600mg
ABC plus multi vitamin with iron
3 of the 4 of these are huge and not nice to take.

Does this sound right or am I missing something or not needing any of the above please?

Annie

I think the chromium is to help with sugar cravings, so if you find you don't suffer from those once you're into ketosis (I never have) then there's no need to take that one.

The potassium is to do with body fluids. Ketosis has quite a strongly diuretic effect on the body and some people can lose too much sodium and potassium along with the excess water in the flushing out process. I never had a problem myself, but if you find you're getting any weakness or nausea or unaccustomed feelings of malaise it's worth taking potassium along with getting a bit more salt into your diet as well.

Your multivitamin has iron which is not recommended unless you've been diagnosed by a physician as being iron-deficient. Try to find one without the iron if you can.

The calcium + vitamin D is fine.

As you've realised, the only thing missing is an omega 3 supplement, but if you eat a lot of oily fish you probably won't need it.

I get the impression that most of these are really an "insurance" if you like, in case what you're actually eating doesn't quite cover your nutritional needs. Chances are with all that lovely meat, fish and veg you're getting plenty of nutrients, but it's as well to be sure.

By the way, I hear ya about the size of some of these tablets - my calcium one is a whopper :eek:. I bought myself a tablet splitter from Amazon a while back so that I can cut the thing in two, otherwise I'd never get it down!

I've just been taking a regular multi vit, every time I read the book and try and make a definitive list of supplements and quantities I get confused :(
Really wish there was one "completely everything you need when you're following Atkins" pill!

Ok will swap the multi vitamin for one without iron, thank you. I have been feeling tired last week but feel a lot better now. I do eat plenty of bacon and pork scratchings! Have a great day.

Annie

I take a multivitamin without iron, also magnesium. I do take other supplements from time to time also. I'm pretty much okay on everything as I was previously deficient in magnesium and potassium (not through the diet) and now I have regular testing.

Sent from my iPad using MiniMins

Am just wondering about the recommended dosage for chromium picolinate - I can find it in tablets ranging from 200 to 800 micrograms. I cannot find my copy of Atkins at the moment, have no idea where it has managed to get to - could someone tell me what dose he suggests?

(I have PCOS and am very insulin resistant, am hoping that taking chromium will help this - the insulin resistance, not the PCOS.)

Back