What was YOUR kick up the bum???

Saddlebag said:
My kick up the bum was when the guy I was seeing said "I've found a song for you!" I thought ahhh how romantic, until he played it- it was "You're the one for me fatty" by Morrissey.

I know this shouldn't be funny, I know. But I did chuckle a little x

I know this shouldn't be funny, I know. But I did chuckle a little x

I still thought it was quite sweet and I did laugh! But realised that I had become complacent!

For me it was when I was so out of breath just walking a little way to take my little one to nursery. It really made my legs ache too and I knew that it was all down to my weight. I had no confidence and just locked myself away in our flat and only went out if I had to. I was also a size 20/22 at the age of 23 and I just got fed up. Then I had my mother in law telling me that my OH will only marry me if I lost weight because I've "never been this huge before" now she don't like it because I have lost weight, and she was with me when I bumped into people and they commented on it. :D (Ha in her face..)

Whats keeping me going now is that I'm the "thinnest" I've been for a long time, and I want to keep going until I'm really happy with myself. I'm still fat, but not as fat as I was only a few months ago.

I didn't actually need an extension to the seatbelt when I last flew but only because I struggled and struggled until I was red in the face, sweating, embarrassed and then deeply relieved when it clicked in. I wouldn't even go to the loo because I didn't think I would get it on again and the top of my legs were sore from it digging in under my stomach. If my husband is with me I can sit at the window and he sits next to me so no one can see me struggle but that past 2 times I have flown alone and on one occasion I was sitting on the aisle and everyone could see my struggle. Oh goodness that just reminded me of why I must stick to this.

Thanks for all your stories, each one helps to motivate me and each one I can relate to.

When i gain weight you can notice it more in my face, so when i flicked through my cousins wedding pictures on FB i didnt like how round my face was (hence my username lol) so i quickly untagged myself. I've got my brothers wedding coming up at the end of august so im hoping to see some changes in my next pictures.

It was partly looking fat in family photos, but then I weighed myself and had gone up to 16 and a half stone and I just thought, if I don't do something about this now how much will I have to weigh before I face up to it? 20, 30 stones or more?

Good posts.

Annanana: I see you are are an inch taller than me and have 8 1/2st as your target. My skin is loose on my upper arms, upper things and soft on my tum after 106lbs. So I'm wondering if you might have an intermediate target with a goal BMI of say 22 or 23, and then assess, in order to have a better result? I'm stopping at a BMI of 27 so I won't have surgery.

Good posts.

Annanana: I see you are are an inch taller than me and have 8 1/2st as your target. My skin is loose on my upper arms, upper things and soft on my tum after 106lbs. So I'm wondering if you might have an intermediate target with a goal BMI of say 22 or 23, and then assess, in order to have a better result? I'm stopping at a BMI of 27 so I won't have surgery.

That's about as much as I can remember being when I was last a healthy weight - which was, alas, when I was around 13!!! I think an intermediate target would be a good idea, there is a lady I work with who has a lot of loose skin following a gastric band and although she has lost far more weight than I would, I really don't want loose skin. It's also the reason I am considering switching to Slimming World after 12 and a half st or thereabouts

It might make sense to have a weight that you have been as an adult - that's why my target weight is c12stone. We need target weights that are sustainable to avoid yoyoing.

Take care,

My weight as an adult has never been below about 12st 10 ish ... Even that would still be overweight, according to the scales at Boots the heaviest weight I could be without being overweight would be 11st 5. But then it's just a little more than a stone away from my lowest adult weight

Well......you may have read that BMIs suggest that many olympic athletes are fat.

My target was set by the GP. I'll still be officially overweight - with a BMI of 27 - I think I'll be size 14 into 12, probably. I will not go lower even though I thought at first I might as I can see the results in my skin will not be good. I'm in my 50s and post menopausal. I think aghe makes a difference. I was told by someone that skin looseness is inevtable after 6 stone losses. I

t's OK to go for a reasonable weight that is higher on the BMI than go for one that is as low on BMI as 18.6, not manitain and will result in loose skin.

Whatever goal you decide to go for, I wish you good luck. It is possible to shed 100+lbs - even if like me, you have not succeeded in the past. I realise having hung out on Minimins that the 'real' work is actually maintaining as there are many who are yo-yo-ers on here and elsewhere. I love the Tough Love thread if you like constructive support!

Take care and enjoy the ride!

For the hundreth time, seeing pics of me looking SOOOO fat, but thinking I looked better (I know I am fat, so that's not an issue - just not realising HOW much!). Plus I have an almost 4 year old who is starting school in September, would rather not be the fattest Mum at the gates....!

Mine was ordering a size 14 pair of river island work trousers and not being able to do them up! Also seeing photos of me and my mum telling me I look like my gran! Something in me has just snapped! Then trousers are dow doing up but are 2 sizes too big but I am on the right road1

I had my moment a couple of weeks ago, I thought about how sad I'd be seeing either of many boys obese and unhealthy the way I become, and thinking about how my parents must feel about my weight! it's like I only just realised it effects not only me, but the people I care about. deep!

I hate being uncomfortable in my clothes and although everyone says I fine my butt hurts when I sit down and my waist bands cut into me. I just want my clothes to fit again, I refuse to buy a bigger size!

Even though I have been overweight most of my life, it's only now at 31 with a 4 year old child that I feel my weight is stopping me do everything I want. I have hidden behind my weight for such a long time using as an excuse not to do things I didn't want to do. Now I want to do more and my self made obstacle is in my way!!

Everywhere I look seeing lads my age who are seriously skinny and they all seem to be so much more attractive than I am, which I feel is something I wouldn't feel if I just lost the weight. Also, splitting up with someone recently and realising that I don't want to wait forever to be approached again, I need to build up the confidence to do it myself.

Back