What was your turning point?

Janey2004

This is for ME!
Just been reading the thread about why you're overweight and was thinking about my turning point. When I said RIGHT thats it. I'm gonna bloody do it this time.
For me it was my last holiday. I was too embaressed to go in the pool and play with my wee guy cause of my size. When i did pluck up the courage, he was so delighted and gave me a big cuddle. And I just thought I cant be like this anymore. I want to go have fun with him, without feeling like a huge heffer. And being on the plane too, that seat belt not fitting was the last straw.
Anyway, what was your turning point?

Hi Janey
For me I've had loads of turning points, I get to that stage where you've just had enough and for a while I do really well. Then something happens and I turn to the food again for comfort. This time around it was a combination of things. Firstly I got fed up of nothing fitting and yet again having to think about buying bigger sized clothes. I went clothes and shoe shopping and came back so depressed and miserable that I sat and cried for ages :cry: I felt too embarrassed to tell anyone that nothing fit. I was in Hobbs in Brighton and I could feel the girl in the shop looking at me as I struggled to bend over as I tried to put on these boots and then fail to be able to pull the zip up as my feet were obviously too fat :sad0071: ... they were only ankle boots as well not high ones! I just wanted to disappear I felt sooo embarrassed :hide: Also the fact that I can not walk downstairs in the morning when I wake up and the thought that I could have a stroke and leave my children without a mother was upsetting me. I've never been as heavy as I am now 16st and I'm only 5ft I know I'm seriously obese. I was looking at slimming and stuff on line and found this place! It was my inspiration to start SW otherwise I prob would have carried on comfort eating.

I,ve been there in the shops and I've came home with nothing and just said that I didn't like anything. When in fact I liked everything, just nothing would fit. And those snippy wee assistants that give you the "you don't belong here" look. But hey we're are on a good road. True it gets a little bumpy sometimes but this site is what I've needed for years. BIG UP to minimins!

My thing which made me think ive had enough was the Christmas photos.. I had No Neck! And it was horrible, looking over xmas photos and there was me ruining them! lol
And also I want to wear knee High boots!! But at the moment my legs just wont get into them

Mine is the fact that I have my graduation next July and I want to look nice in the photos and on the day

Like Kirsty, mine was a photograph. I hate and will always avoid having them taken but had to get one done for the work's magazine - I looked sooooo old and frumpy - and my boobs looked like they were sitting on my belly (they probably were to be honest) and I thought, no more!!!

I had been kidding myself that I was not as big as I was - but when the evidence is there in front of you - there is no hiding.

LRO x

Mine, was finally admitting that I have a problem with food. My problem isnt quality, its quantity. Yes, I can eat the salad and the fruit, but the portion sizes that I ate was wrong..no wonder I wasnt loosing the weight!

I,ve been there in the shops and I've come home with nothing and just said that I didn't like anything. When in fact I liked everything, just nothing would fit. And those snippy wee assistants that give you the "you don't belong here" look.

My God that is so true. i hated clothes shopping and it was always a case of buying what fits rather than what actually looks nice!
my turning point came when i realised that i had put 4 stone back on of the 6 i had previously lost. i couldnt fit into my clothes, my belly was bulging and i finally just realised that i was kidding myself and i wasnt as thin as i thought i was. i just clicked and decided enough was enough, i had to get back on CD.......part of my problem was slipping back into old habits, the other HUGE part of the problem was stopping smoking. i put on two stone without even noticing!

For me it was being ill most of last year with pneumonia, bronchitis, 1 chest infection after another, loads of different anti-biotics, tests, scans, loads of time off work, not being able to cope at home or work, having no energy, getting depressed, losing my confidence, not being able to support my husband when he was ill - all with apparently no underlying cause.
Then the GP tentatively said "do you think it could have anything to do with your weight?" I was furious - stomped off - thought about it and when I had calmed down thought maybe it is - only 1 way to find out.......the rest is my wonderful journey on Lighterlife.
Don't you hate it when men are right? I must pluck up courage to go back and tell him.

Mine, was finally admitting that I have a problem with food. My problem isnt quality, its quantity. Yes, I can eat the salad and the fruit, but the portion sizes that I ate was wrong..no wonder I wasnt loosing the weight!

Definately there with you, I love healthier food (well love all of it). Its always an eyeopener when I've been dieting to realise that a smaller portion can actually fill you up.

theres loads of reasons for me, photos I hate ugh and Im with you Kirtsy on the boots, I just cant get them over my calves but my turning point is that we are tryig for a baby, well have been trying for 2 years in fact. We have been pregnant twice before and lost both. The main difference when we got pregnant before, is that I was smaller. So i thought enoughs enough I literally woke up one Saturday and said Im going for a jog and havent looked back since

For me it was a comment from my Mum in a telephone conversation.

My parents have retired & Dad had joined a gym to keep him active while Mum was at her part-time job.

We were chatting one Sunday and she said "oh yeah Dad's back to his pre-retirement running weight of 10st 10lbs". Dad used to run marathons and be really fit before gaining a couple of stone when he retired.

Anyway my Mum is a tiny 4ft 11ins, size 6/8 and weighs around 6st 9lbs (I obviously don't take after her! :giggle:) so in that split second I realised (at nearly 17stone) I almost weighed the same as both my parents put together!!!

I was so ashamed and disgusted with myself, that was when I started my journey.

I wish I had seen the photo of me on holiday last year but I found it a couple of weeks ago. I look absolutely frightful, it might have spurred me on to do something.

But my turning point was a couple of things in May: one of my friends joined Lighterlife and started to look fantastic.

The other was moving to China - I wanted to meet people who didnt just see a big fat me.

I wanted to look nice and couldnt wear the things I want - e.g. knee high boots. And I was buying size 18 clothes and they were fitting perfectly. Not good! In Next some of the size 18 stuff wasnt fitting and I refuse to buy a size 20.

One of the kids at school asked my TA if I was pregnant (not being nasty, but 5 teachers were) and I was mortified.

The thought of having a stroke absolutely terrifies me too. So it really was a combination of stuff!

Good thread :)

A few things made me realise that I had to move my arse and shift some load...

On the plane to America, struggling to do up my seat belt.

Comments made by some of the regulars in my Dad's pub one night.

Some mud that got slung from a member of my OH's family.

Finding it difficult (impossible even) to shop for clothes in normal places.

Back