What was your turning point?

What spurred me on? This time a freakin' awful holiday in France in August 2007. I was kidding myself that I was still superfit from my school days (HOW long ago...) but I couldn't keep up with my OH's super fit family (Sis, Bro in Law and the kids 7 & 11!) I couldn't face going swimming with them and I didn't even make it up the first hill 200 metres from the car on a bike ride and spent the next 5 hours crying my eyes out in the car while I waited for them to return. When I got back I realised I'd gained the 3.5stone I'd lost the first time at SW and put another two on on top of that! MY HEAVIEST EVER!

FA xx

(I bought some knee high boots from Evans when I was at my heaviest - can still barely do them up but they've alays slid down like Nora Batty's stockings - so are my calves too fat - or too thin?????)

Spod, one of my patients asked me if I was pregnant the other day, felt gutted if I'm honest.

Its awful isnt it!?!?! :cry:But they wont be thinking it for long. :) :)

Actually the seatbelt thing happened to me too on the way to / from New York which I found odd cos it was an American airline and I know I am fat but there are people way bigger than me.

BUT thats all in the past...

xx

I walked to an appointment and got very sweaty and hot, even though it was only a five minute walk. I noticed people were looking at me very sympathetically and realised they thought it was because I was fat/unfit. So that made me decide to go on a diet, was fed up of people looking at me as if I was about to eat them! And really I just wanted to be invisible.

Now that I've lost some weight I don't mind people looking at me though!

Spod, one of my patients asked me if I was pregnant the other day, felt gutted if I'm honest.

Its awful isnt it!?!?! :cry:But they wont be thinking it for long. :)

Actually the seatbelt thing happened to me too on the way to / from New York which I found odd cos it was an American airline and I know I am fat but there are people way bigger than me.

BUT thats all in the past...

xx

Spod, how do you get one of those charts? xx

My turning points came all at once early August 2006.

I was on a radio show and the presenter was complaining about being fat and overweight and said he was 14 stone. I knew I must weigh about that and he was only an inch taller than me.

Then at my thin and beautiful friend's wedding her very overweight mother said to me in the receiving line "Doesn't she look beautiful and thin, we can only dream eh?".

Then I was on telly and couldn't find anything smart I felt happy fitting in and certainly couldn't watch myself.

All that was the trigger for finally taking my weight in hand and saying it didn't matter to me that I was bursting out of size 18s and had been steadily putting on stones at a time for four years.

I calorie counted for a month, then found CD and lost another two and a half stone and though I've recently grazed 13 again, have never again said it doesn't matter to me being overweight.

Spod, how do you get one of those charts? xx

I'm not entirely sure how I found it, but its part of the ticker webpage - it just said (I think) about plotting your weight loss as a chart. I found it purely by accident!!

Sorry Janey I know that isnt much use but I am crap with stuff like this. If you click on your ticker it open the webpage that gives you options to update losses etc. and it was on the last page (where you cut and paste the code).

xx

At my heaviest (a couple of years after my eldest child was born) it was despair and the craving to get into pretty/feminine clothes again...also felt so unattractive and ugly as well as very uncomfortable, didn't want to be touched...this year it was the need to get healthy, fit, strong for me and my children and finally overcome my eating disorder demons (they'll always be there until I die, but for now they seem to be pretty much in the background) Also my mother died at 55 of colon cancer and the thought of dying young no matter the cause kind of hit home this year (although in 2004 I lost loads of weight again) and made me really want to make a change that would last. No more yo-yoing, just steady normal living for me...

Sooo many things spurr me on.
A very skinny friend one day started a sentence with 'if I was big like you' (she's still a friend)
Another friend has lost loads of weight and looks fantastic. We used to be about the same size.
Not being able to find clothes that fit or if they do I feel like the honey monster in them!!
My husband is skinny and I'm scared of crushing him in bed!!
My 5 year old likes my new nightie as it makes me look like a 'normal thin mommy'and the other day when I was in the bath said my tummy looks like a snowmans!!
I could go on all day

aww mommyb your kid sounds so cute, you can always trust kids will give you an honest opinion.

i had one say my legs were fat lol

my turning point was not fitting in to nice clothes, and feeling so self-concsious and not being able to wear a bikini or have anyone look at you thinking shes hot, always ugh. i decided then, i'm going to have to sort this out!

Kids are great aren't they! They are always honest and point out your best and worst bits.

mommyb - I lived just down the road from you in Dudley until a few months ago - love that area so much!

xx

I've just moved to Edgbaston from the North.... love it!!!
For me I've had many... mainly photos after a night out where I look awful next to my slim friends!

well for me theres been lots of turning points. when i was 14 i had to get my school skirt made because they only did up to a size 18. i spent my teenage years living in dorothy perkins as it stored everything over size 18 that i could be remotely fashionable in. i then had to get my debs dress made in order to achieve the style i wanted. when i was 18 i was 17 stone and a size 20. so i lost three stone with a lot of help. then alot of stuff happened and i lost a stone but put it back on again. this year i found i fell into my old comfort eating habits and the big kick was when my boyfriend noticed and got worried. i thought it was my big secret. now im trying my hardest to get back ontrack with the help of slimming world and minimins!!! :D xxx

My turning point was only a couple of weeks ago, I was in Whitby for the Goth weekend and there were so many stunning clothes and none of them in my size! I ahd also been the docs and he had told me to reduce my clorestorol and try and lose some weight and I literally came back from Whitby and thought thats it I am going on a diet! I started on W8 today!
I am determined to get rid of the weight for May when I go away for the weekend with my two best friends to a fifties weekend and I have promised myself a pair of pink leopard skin jeans in a size 12!
My weight had been slowly creeping up for the past five years, I had to have a hysterectomy and I have no children and it was a pretty big decsion to take, and then just recently I have been diagnosed with an overactive thyriod
But I am hoping that by losing this weight I will feel more healthy.
i have dieted before but I have never felt this determined!

Good luck special K!! You sound like you are so motivated!
xx

My turning point was a culmination of a lot of things. I had made a New Years Resolution to make positive changes in my life. I hated every photo of me. I was increasingly worried about my health and was worried about getting diabetes. I'd gone up another dress size. I thought that's it. I'm going to do this. I've been dieting on and off since January, and the only way I'm looking back is to see how far I've come!!!

~Silence~

Back