What you can expect from a CDC

Hi, I was weighed when i first went to my CDC (a BF & GF team) but not measured. i get weighed weekly but i could do with a lot more support. In the beginning my female CDC would call me daily to encourage and see how i was getting on, this was for about 2 weeks. After that i was fine for a while but then started struggling for the past few weeks( hence my slow weight loss) but have not been given much help or support. I find that i am given a very subtle cold shoulder by my male CDC because my losses are small. I find it quite intimidating and end up resorting to..................COMFORT EATING!!! or should i say comfort picking. Every day i start off really good and will be fine until the evening when i start picking, i'm not hungry, i just want my familiar flavours in my mouth. I don't feel as though i can approach my CDC's in these moments of weakness which i wish i could do as i think it would help me over the hurdle. anyway, enough of me whining on, I'm trying again as from tomorrow, so wish me luck.
Shar xx

From some of the posts on the Cambridge Forum it is quite obvious that some of the CDC's have not got a clue about the Cambridge Plan at all.

They regularly tell their clients that they can SS for as along as they like when Cambridge make it quite plain that you must only use SS until a BMI of 25 + 1 stone is reached.

Some of them are also telling clients that they can skip AAMW if they like as it is not technically necessary when, in fact, AAMW is done for very sound medical reasons.

The problem arises because the clients don't bother to read either the Cambridge Plan booklet or the Sole Source booklet which should, but is not always, given to them on their first visit to their CDC.

Hi , i spoke to my CDC and she has toldme i am allowed to skip AAMW as long as i see a doctor every 2 weeks and get my blood pressure checked. Is that ok?? Then obviously my doctor will decide if im allowed to miss my food week or not.
Taz x

RE AAM week.
yes if you wish to delay/ omit it you should get the approval of your doctor. I did. My gp's reaction was 'You're looking great, you're a sensible woman, if that's what you want then fine.'

I just wish my family could have heard someone calling me sensible!

I then slowly built up my AAM weeks as my confidence at reintroducing food grew.

My understanding of the importance of AAM is mainly for food re-learning purposes & to comply with recent recommendations by NICE &/or COMA. Cambridge do not consider it a nutritional necessity.
The distinction although quite subtle is important.

Having said that I'm only a newCDC so if I've got it wrong I'd rather be corrected now than after I've misled a customer

When I did the CD before, I was told that I should have the AAMW, but I found that this was too tempting to stray.
Personally I would rather go with out the food until I have reached my goal and then gradually introduce it similar to LL.

I understand how you feel Mrs V. Lots of us feel the same.

As I see it
1) AAMw is one week in 5.
2) The same effect would be achieved by doing AAM day one day in 5. ( roughly that would be one day a week for a few weeks then 2days in one week)
3)This would allow the experimentation with re-introducing food, comply with the NICE guidelines but be less scary to dieters like yourself.

What I haven't done though, is ask Head office if this is a pattern that they would be happy for me to recommend to clients, who like you, fear that 7 days would destabilise their mindset.

I intend to ring HO & ask them as soon as I've got a mo, but in the mean time if theres a CDC out there who knows what the official feeling about this is I'd be most grateful for their info.

Either way MrsV you sound determined & that, with CD ,is most of the battle.

Last edited:
I understand how you feel Mrs V. Lots of us feel the same.

AAMw is one week in 5.
it seems to me that the same efect would be achieved by doing AAM day one day in 5. ( in essence it would be one day a week for a few weeks then 2days in one week)
This would allow the experimentation with re-introducing food, comply with the NICE guidelines but be less scary to dieters like yourself.

what I haven't done though is ask Head office if this is a pattern that they would e happy for me to recommend to clients who, like you, fear that 7 days would destabilise their mindset.

I intend to ring HO & ask them as soon as I've got a mo, but in the mean time if theres a CDC out there who knows what the official feeling about this is I'd be most grateful for their info.

Either way MrsV you sound determined & that, with CD ,is most of the battle.
Hiya, Jane. I couldn't tell you what HQ's official response to this would be, as i've never asked. I do concur with your reasoning, though, and will be interested to hear what response HQ give.

When I did cd (before becoming a cdc), I kind of did it that way, as I never got any guidance from my own cdc anyway! I never did an actual AAMW, but, sometimes every weekend, sometimes every fortnight, i'd eat a chicken salad out, or have chicken and salad if we were having a bbq, etc. That suited me, as it fitted in with my lifestyle - I never felt the need to eat during the week, but weekends are tough if you have any kind of social life!

Jo x

When I did cd (before becoming a cdc), I kind of did it that way, as I never got any guidance from my own cdc anyway! I never did an actual AAMW, but, sometimes every weekend, sometimes every fortnight, i'd eat a chicken salad out, or have chicken and salad if we were having a bbq, etc. That suited me, as it fitted in with my lifestyle - I never felt the need to eat during the week, but weekends are tough if you have any kind of social life!

Jo x

Thanks Jo, & yes that's something that my 'sociable' clients do. It seems to me to be the perfect formula.
It allows them to lead a normal life without appearing completely bonkers or running the risk of suffering the sucked teeth/ dangerous diet comments form the ignorant, whilst also practising portion control/sensible choices within the very setting that many of us find most difficult.

Right jo I'll get on to 'em today & report back if I've got an official opinion.

Thanks Jo, & yes that's something that my 'sociable' clients do. It seems to me to be the perfect formula.
It allows them to lead a normal life without appearing completely bonkers or running the risk of suffering the sucked teeth/ dangerous diet comments form the ignorant, whilst also practising portion control/sensible choices within the very setting that many of us find most difficult.

Right jo I'll get on to 'em today & report back if I've got an official opinion.

Yes, exactly. I had the added problem of our monthly trips up north. My ex (kids' dad) lived in Preston (now Blackpool), so once monthly we take the kids up so he can have them for the weekend, and my partner and I stay at my partner's mums, as she lives in Wigan. Although people knew I was dieting, I never told anyone I was doing cd. It was much easier to just eat salads on the weekends that we were up in Wigan, as I didn't have to cope with the disaproval!

I'll look forward to hearing the official response... although I don't hold out too much hope for it being what we'd like it to be!

Jo x

Although people knew I was dieting, I never told anyone I was doing cd. It was much easier to just eat salads on the weekends that we were up in Wigan, as I didn't have to cope with the disaproval!

I'll look forward to hearing the official response... although I don't hold out too much hope for it being what we'd like it to be!

Jo x

I'm a great advocate of 'not coming out of the closet til you're ready'
as I see it, when you've lost 3 stone with glowing skin & loads of energy it's so much easier to deal with those sorts of comments.

I seem to remember not even bothering to answer in words, just put on a sort of 'come off it I've not felt better in years expression' topped with an '& I know more biochemistry than you do' eyebrow flicker.

Ah..just re-read that. God I must have been smug when I was S/Sing!

hmm so no change there eh?
right off to make a phone call. My luck would have them all out on a training day.

The word from head Office

Or the Man from Del Monte say YES.

summary of HO opinion
1. The AAMW is set up for good reasons & we know it works etc,& is their preferred course for CDC's to encourage & clients to use.

but

2. Pragmatically they know that CDC's help S/Sing clients find sensible solutions to life within the broader framework eg social events.

SO

3. If a client wishes to spread their AAM into individual days that is fine, though they should aim to keep roughly to the 1:4 ratio.

So that's good news! as, I've already found clients who, having done really well for a few weeks, blanch at the thought of 7 days of meals ahead. Then, finding myself suggesting compromises that are less scary has made me wonder if I was beginning to drive up the kerb of frowned upon practices & me still a novice CDC.:(

( I myself took a unilateral decision last winter to avoid AAM altogether for a few months due to lack of self belief. Then, I did AAM night, then AAM week-end & built it up so that I was able then to merge seamlessly with becoming 790. In the mean time I'd sort of complied with the regs of getting GP's approval by muttering 'oh & I'm doing Cambridge, is it all right if I skip the AAMW til I've lost a bit more' to one of the partners over the counter when I was up there on an errand. (You can still do things like that in tiny rural practices ;))

The response was 'What ever you're doing don't stop-you're looking great. Then v sweetly added 'You're sensible, you can judge what's right for you'

Well I've 2 things to add to this.

1) (the grown up comment,) which is YES we are all grown up & I wish that all Health Professionals could recognise this.

(For nonCDC's I'll explain. NICE have recognised this & have changed the emphasis on the Medical Form. There are medical conditions & prescriptions that require the GP to sign the form to CONFIRM that the information provided by the patient is correct & NOT asking the GP for PERMISSION/APPROVAL to consume Cambridge products.

2) I wish my H & children could have heard this. I've been telling them for years that I'm a mature & sensible woman, but they continue to treat me like I'm an idiot.

PS Does anyone know what the opposite of Misogyny is? Is it Misandry? Either way there seemed to be more than a hint of this in the Man-homework food - essay I set. So I spose I should say sorry. Still, shame Mike hasn't taken the bait

Wow! Thanks for that, Jane! I'm rather impressed that cd HQ are living in 'the real world' with regards to the diet.

I'm quite surprised, but pleased - it's good to know what we can 'officially' tell clients.

Yes, misandry is the opposite of misogyny. Trust me, i'm an English teacher. :p However, if your hubby treats you like an idiot (and your kids - they're not boys, are they? :p), then it would seem you're quite entitled to your misandrist tendencies. :p

Jo x

Hey, I'm surmised a word & it existed. Reet chuffed about that. thanks Jo.
Nope the worst offenders are the 2 girls. The little lad still thinks his mummy knows everything!:p

I blame the education system for my childrens attitude.

Their views are heeded so they think they have something worth saying.:cool:
They no longer fear public humiliation so dogged determinatuion & initiative are undiscovered.:rolleyes:

children have always thiught their parents to be idiots ...so no change there .:(

actually the one about fear of punishment & mockery begetting resourcefulness & initiative wasn't mine. It was told me by a charismatic teacher. Having spent 5 yrs at university sufering education by humiliation I tried to argue against him, but sadly I suspect the old cynic had a point.

Hey, I'm surmised a word & it existed. Reet chuffed about that. thanks Jo.
Nope the worst offenders are the 2 girls. The little lad still thinks his mummy knows everything!:p

I blame the education system for my childrens attitude.

Their views are heeded so they think they have something worth saying.:cool:
They no longer fear public humiliation so dogged determinatuion & initiative are undiscovered.:rolleyes:

children have always thiught their parents to be idiots ...so no change there .:(

actually the one about fear of punishment & mockery begetting resourcefulness & initiative wasn't mine. It was told me by a charismatic teacher. Having spent 5 yrs at university sufering education by humiliation I tried to argue against him, but sadly I suspect the old cynic had a point.
I love figuring out/learning new words, but then i'm sad like that. :eek:

Ohh, i'm surprised at your girls (and your hubby!), as you seem like a vey intelligent woman to me! My daughter's 11, and my son's 8, and they still think I know everything they have this idea that i'm the cleverest person in the world, which suits me just fine. :p

I'd agree with the charismatic, yet cynical teacher, too. It's of course a great thing for children to have confidence in themselves, but the new trend of letting kids have too much say, and allowing them to believe they can always express themselves without retribution is also quite damaging. As a teacher, i'm not 'allowed' to tell children they're wrong - i'm supposed to always go along the lines of, "Well done, you have a good point. Do you think this [insert correct answer here] is also a good point, though?" Of course, this is great for children with a low self-esteem, as it encourages them to try and answer without fearing mockery, but some kids would probably be better served bringing down a peg or two at times.

Jo x

I love figuring out/learning new words, but then i'm sad like that. :eek:
?sad Articulate is the word that came to my mind.

Ohh, i'm surprised at your girls (and your hubby!), as you seem like a vey intelligent woman to me!
Thankyou jo. can I tell them this?
My daughter's 11, and my son's 8, and they still think I know everything they have this idea that i'm the cleverest person in the world, which suits me just fine. :p

long may it continue! you must have done something right in th parenting dept too.
I'd agree with the charismatic, yet cynical teacher, too.

You'd have loved him (not dead but sadly poached by another school:cry:)
as well as 'Whitmore-isms' he never got sucked into 'pandering to parents' our school has a pretty informal access all hours policy but if he thought he was being sought by a parent he didn't want to se he'd pretend to be 'not in the staff room' or even been known to hide. As a representative of the demanding-clases AKA 'middle class parents' I surprised myself by supporting his actions thoroughly.

Having never mastered the art of saying 'NO' to I've found myself spending much of my time 'helping out' at school. The nerve of some parents! unrealistic doesn't scratch the surface. I just feel sorry for their kids. Of course, this is great for children with a low self-esteem, as it encourages them to try and answer without fearing mockery, but some kids would probably be better served bringing down a peg or two at times.

Jo x
Absolutley !

I really didn't enjoy my spell of learning in the context of ritually having your nose rubbed in the poo (I'm old Jo,this was in the 70's & 80's) but at least life didn't come as a nasty shock afterwards.
Agree that arrogant snotty children are not being well served by being allowed to think they always have a valid/ pertinent/worthwhile/correct opinion.
Children have poor insight.It's a defining part of childhood. It's the maturation process that helps us develop it. How are they going to aquire this skill & self knowledge if they are only given one side of the learning-currency?

golly I'm getting worse. motor mouth by name etc., Shut up Jane

still doesn't help me convince my lot that I'm not a wrinkly-thicko-saddie who knows nothing.these 3 words are banned in our house by the way).
as is calling the little lad 'Phlomian Tree'

now where did I put those thumb screws?

Hi Folks,

Have to say my CDC doesn't weigh or measure me, I have done it all myself, but... I have really preferred it :D

I have followed diets for years and have gone to so many WW and SW classes it is unreal and the thought of someone else weighing me is very off putting, so I was very pleased when my CDC said she didn't weigh because she goes to clients homes and finds the scales irregular if they are picked up and put down all the time..

She is incredibly supportive though and has even come to my house mid week to change flavours I haven't liked :eek:

Really interesting reading about the AAM information, :thankyou: Jane and Justjo.

Sarah x

Well...funny you should say that Sarah, but my CDC didn't either. She didn't weigh or measure me once (at my request)

She should have done though to make sure I was on the right plan, but apart from that, she was a fab CDC for me.

I am meeting my cdc tonight for the 1st time. We had a long chat on the phone the other day tho. She sounds lovely and really surportive too.

I am geared upto start my diet tomorrow but reading on here am worried i wont be able to.

My BMI is 41 so i will need my doctors signerture before i can start i think from reading on here but the cdc did not say that to me on the phone. It shouldnt be a prob as i am healthy and have no medical probs i am aware of but will feel really deflated now i am so geared up to start tomorrow if i cannot.

Its best to let your CDC know your BMI is over 40. You will need to go to your GP to get the medical record form signed off, as you say you do not know of any medical problems, this is just to make sure.

She may advise you to start cutting out carbs and increasing your water whilst waiting to see your GP. This is a good preparation for starting the diet.

Back