Whats for tea tonight?

Am thinking meatballs, with rustic chips and will make a sauce with tomatoes, onions, courgette and some sweetcorn.

how do you guys & girls thicken your stews.... got the lean steak and veg in oxo.... would usually thicken with gravy granules, wondering if there is anything more SW friendly or syn free

xx

I usually use pearl barley in my stews, doesn't thicken the sauce as such, just absorbs it and makes it lovely and chunky :)

how do you guys & girls thicken your stews.... got the lean steak and veg in oxo.... would usually thicken with gravy granules, wondering if there is anything more SW friendly or syn free

xx

Hi Sally! I just use flour and syn it. It's not too bad synwise as you probably don't need more than a tablespoon for a dish and by the time you divide it into however many portions, the syns per portion is minimal. I generally don't like weirding up recipes to keep them free, I just use normal ingredients I always use and syn whatever isn't a free food or HE.

I'm having a fish butty. fish from the chippy with the batter taken off in hexb wholemeal bread with ketchup mmm

*Sally Cinnamon* said:

xx

If you put all your meat in a ziplock bag then add 1 tablespoon of Cornflour/starch (3.5 syns or flour if you don't have this) give it a good shake to coat, the cornstarch coating the meat will thicken your sauce.

Hi Debridger
Well done for the fab will power, you sound like you're in the zone!
I noticed we're the same height and are at about the same starting point! Keep it up! X

I really appreciate your support, you're doing really well yourself...And isn't a pain being how can I put it - vertically challenged, 'cos a few pounds on really notices, having said that, when they do come off, it shows a bit quicker than those really tall guys & girls :)

You keep at it...x

xx

I put some of the gravy in another saucepan, and really, really boil it until it reduces, then stir in some quark... it's not the same, but worth a try

Thanks folks.... I just let it simmer away for ages until the meat started to melt a little and didn't need to add granules... was lovely served with mashed turnip and mange tout... I am stuffed, OH is well fed and I have 2 freezer meals made for work. xx

I am having britmums Aubergine and Pork Pie - Its in the oven at the moment, and looks gorgeous! I made extra of the filling for my lunch tomorrow and couldnt help but taste it and its bloody gorge! mmmm Looking forward to tea now!

trying to summon the energy to do some veg to go with it, but i am comfy!!! lol xx

LorraineM said:
I am having britmums Aubergine and Pork Pie - Its in the oven at the moment, and looks gorgeous! I made extra of the filling for my lunch tomorrow and couldnt help but taste it and its bloody gorge! mmmm Looking forward to tea now!

trying to summon the energy to do some veg to go with it, but i am comfy!!! lol xx

Hope you enjoy it, I love it, but then aubergines are my fav veg and could eat them all day lol

Mash pots, cabbage and beef casserole with loads of swede, carrots and onion x

Back