Whats going on?I dont get it!

I am actually glad I started this thread,at least everyones on here typing away getting extremely vexed and burning loads of energy!!

I am actually glad I started this thread,at least everyones on here typing away getting extremely vexed and burning loads of energy!!

:D I for one thought it was a very motivational post done in a non-judgemental way, so I am very pleased you posted it :clap:

But, as always, posts that suggest people try not to cheat and to remember their goals, never go down well, so happy to close if you want andju

I'm pretty new and when i first started back in July i was told that it was ok to eat ham so did so. It made me feel hungrier and needless to say i have restarted now 5 times. Yes a complete waste of money in one way but i learn't that if i was going to succeed i couldn't eat ANYTHING AT ALL. 8 days on and its tough mentally but i have found the actual shakes etc easier to stick to. I cannot afford to keep restarting & restarting so this time i AM gong to do it. I tell a lie, i had a spoonful of bouillon the first 6 days but haven't had any for 2 days.
This forum has benn a godsend to me, you are all so 'wise' ;-)

:D I for one thought it was a very motivational post done in a non-judgemental way, so I am very pleased you posted it :clap:

But, as always, posts that suggest people try not to cheat and to remember their goals, never go down well, so happy to close if you want andju
I think KD it would be a good idea to keep the post open as it seems people are using it,I shall not be posting on this thread any more as do not want to end up in a conflict,however it is good that people have had opinions on the subject.
Julie x

Really interesting to read both sides of the argument!

Personally I think the most "dangerous" posts are the ones that go something like "cheated this week and still lost 7lb" kind of thing...apart from making me feel gutted (and I'll admit it, a tad envious!) I think they definitely send out the wrong signal but hey! It's good to talk!

Based on the Original Post, I would say that Andju, and anyone else who is/has done it 100%, should just feel good about themselves for it, and revel in the fact that despite it being so difficult that some people have a weak moment and "cheat", you were/are strong enough not to do that

If nothing else, is shows a great personal development in yourself :)

I've posted this in our team thread Julie but for the sake of other I'll post it here to. I believe that this diet is best done if it's it is moulded around the person doing it. What I mean by this is for example I regularly take days off if I am going to a family members house for dinner I will purposely take a day off of the diet (although I never post about this as a cheat!) so I can have some normality in my life. Now I find it quite easy just to skip from 'normality' to CD so it works for me but if you don't find it easy then you really should stick to ss.
I personally believe that this diet is best done if it is adapted (or not!) to the person doing it! If you are losing weight and are happy with the weekly loses then what is the issue???
I have no problem with people having a 'cheat' (I hate that word to!) but to be fair to others I think it should be phased better in threads!

Last edited:
Crikey - what a thread that turned out to be!!!

I can understand Andju's point of view, because it must be really frustrating to be giving it your all and find yourself reading about other people's shenanigans, but I have also been the grateful recipient of fantastic support from forum members during my early-days wobble, so I can speak for the value of this type of post.

We all know it's not going to be easy to "stop" eating, but I think there's a difference between knowing it and living it (in much the same way as you can tell someone that a new baby will completely take over their life, but you can't imagine the scale of it until you live it!)

I have really learned a lot about my own relationship with food during the past 2 weeks (since I started), and my blip was part of that learning process. I'm back on the wagon now, and I feel stronger and more positive that I did at the beginning.

So much of that is due to the support I received when I needed it - people understanding, not judging, and offering practical advice on how to give myself a kick up the backside!

Reading posts like Andju's give me something to strive for - it can be done- even though it's not easy, and those 100%ers show that it IS possible to overcome the difficult times.

But - I think a big part of the value of this forum is helping with the emotional aspects of CD, and perhaps for anyone reading posts & thinking about starting CD, the fact that we're all at different stages, but will help each other succeed might encourage them to give it a try?

(I do think there's a place for 'tough love' though Andju - even if it makes us feel uncomfortable. You're right, the diet will work best if we stick to it 100%, and even though some of us might not always make it, at least we should aim for it!) xxx

Got it. A new word for cheat, as no one seems to like that word. It even rhymes with it:

cheat = treat

For sticking to such a tough diet! Certainly has better connotations mentally than beating yourself up over something that is done and cannot be undone!

I agree with Andju. Everyone has the right to post whatever they like on here (within reason!) but it does sometimes seem like people are supporting others to fail. That's not what this place is about is it?

Yes CD IS hard and people do 'cheat.' I just think maybe instead of the usual 'never mind, get back on the wagon' comments we should be asking 'Why? What happened? What could you do differently next time?' Surely what makes us 'cheat' could be what makes us put the weight back on?

I just think a bit of questioning is not a bad thing and may really help in the long run.

I agree with Andju. Everyone has the right to post whatever the
Yes CD IS hard and people do 'cheat.' I just think maybe instead of the usual 'never mind, get back on the wagon' comments we should be asking 'Why? What happened? What could you do differently next time?' Surely what makes us 'cheat' could be what makes us put the weight back on?

I just think a bit of questioning is not a bad thing and may really help in the long run.

I totally agree with you. The 'why' is massively important, along with thinking about how they could do it differently. That's support in my opinion. Yes, people need to move on and put it behind them, but not until they've done the most important step.

BTW, I've noticed we appear to get threads such as these not when one or two people 'treat;)' but when there's a lot of them and it unbalances the forum.

I think everyone's CD journey is different and different people struggle with different things. I have been doing this diet and before that Lighter Life for quite a long time now and for many reasons, in the last two weeks I have not been able to SS. These are emotional reasons and by using this forum to share my experiences and feelings about 'falling off the wagon' and with the help of other CDC's and also other people on here, I have worked out what made my willpower vanish and I have tackled it and put it behind me. Without being able to discuss my issues with sticking to the diet 100% - I would not have got advice from CDC's and others on the diet as to why I might be turning to food now when I am so close to goal when I have gone so long without it.

So for me, in my personal CD experience, being able to discuss my 'wagon falling off' and my feelings and anxieties about food on here has been completely valuable and without this extra support from all of the lovely people on here, I would certainly not be back on track like I am now.

I 100%-ed for such a long time and I could never understand peoples 'cheats' but at different stages of this diet, different people deal with things in different ways and by discussing these things on this forum and receiving advice and good wishes from people - that can only be beneficial in helping people through their CD and ultimately helping people get back on track can't it??

This thread is so thought provoking, I really benefit from coming onto this site, I get support, a shoulder to cry on and a kick up the butt:whoopass: when I need it!!! I think it's fantastic we can get all these things in one place.

I have been faffing around with SS all this week, trying to get my head around it and blaming my TOTM and my house guests but reading andju's comments has made me sit up and take stock..

Yes I can 'take time out' if I want to and cheat or treat ;) but essentially I just slow down the weight loss, if I choose to that's fine because I am the one in control and if I recognise why I have done it all the better...

Thanks for sarting this thread andju xx

Sarah x

Back