When do I need to gain weight?

IslandBreeze

Castaway
Hi
I'm 22 weeks now and weigh exactly the same as when I conceived. BMI is 30 - just at the border of overweight/obese so I've clearly got some fat spare for baby to feed off.

I'm eating whatever I want when I want as I'm hyper-emetic,and based on my prior pregnancy it's expected that the vomiting will keep going right up to delivery again. So I tend to figure eating what I fancy gives me the best chance to keep some food down. Strangely I mainly crave fruit and dairy when I'm pregnant - I'm not particularly keen on all the chocolate and junk I usually eat when I'm not pregnant, my tastebuds really change. I was the same last time - constant fruit cravings - shame I can't be like that all the time! :)

Anyway, I'm not very worried about it but I do keep wondering if there is a stage at which I really ought to be gaining a bit for the baby's sake? Clinic say I'm not gaining because I'm still being sick and they're fairly happy with my weight as I was still losing weight at this stage last time around and so they're pleased I'm stable this time.

God i'm jealous! lol:D

I wouldn't worry about it because I'm thinking your not vomiting all the food you eat?
Just keep doing what your doing...maybe take preg vits, but other than that be thankful your not gaining!:) Lucky you! ;)
I'm sure your baby is getting everything it needs or else the mw's would be concerned with growth by now. x

You don't actually 'need' to gain weight unless of course you were at a healthy normal weight when you concieved, they would then expect you to gain 'pregnancy weight', i.e baby, placenta, blood , muscle etc roughly about 1st 7lbs. However if you are overweight or obese then there is no actual need to gain weight , though some gain is expected as you will also gain 'pregnancy weight' in a Normal pregnancy. You seem to be doing really well as you are so just carry on ;)

im the same as you, my BMI was 31 when i got pregnant and ive only gained 1lb i was sick in the first 16 weeks but have stopped now, well only ocasionaly. my midwife wasnt worried untill about 25 weeks but she has said i should try to put on some weight now, around 1lb every other week, but she is happy with what ive been eating which is all mainly healthy foods...i too have gone off junk food and am craving apples but think they make my heart burn worse!! x

God i'm jealous! lol:D

I wouldn't worry about it because I'm thinking your not vomiting all the food you eat?

I did think before I posted this that some people would really envy me this!!! :)

No, I'm not vomiting all my food (though I pretty much did in my first pregnancy, hence constant weight loss then). I bring up blood when I vomit for some weeks now which is pretty gross. And I was sick non-stop from 6 weeks right up to delivery first pregnancy so they're expecting me to do that again this time, especially as I'm now 22+ weeks and there's no sign of it ending.

You don't actually 'need' to gain weight unless of course you were at a healthy normal weight when you concieved, they would then expect you to gain 'pregnancy weight', i.e baby, placenta, blood , muscle etc roughly about 1st 7lbs. However if you are overweight or obese then there is no actual need to gain weight , though some gain is expected as you will also gain 'pregnancy weight' in a Normal pregnancy. You seem to be doing really well as you are so just carry on ;)

I think it's been worrying me because I really don't have a bump yet and in fact I'm now thinner than I was a month ago - I've moved back into smaller clothes. And I only felt baby move for the first time yesterday - that was bothering me a bit as 22 weeks is very late to feel a second pregnancy kick for the first time.

im the same as you, my BMI was 31 when i got pregnant and ive only gained 1lb i was sick in the first 16 weeks but have stopped now, well only ocasionaly. my midwife wasnt worried untill about 25 weeks but she has said i should try to put on some weight now, around 1lb every other week, but she is happy with what ive been eating which is all mainly healthy foods...i too have gone off junk food and am craving apples but think they make my heart burn worse!! x

Thanks Kelly. Don't you wish you normally craved apples!!:8855:

I had awful heartburn last pregnancy and fruit did make it a bit worse - I found milk helped a lot, it was almost as good as Gaviscon and I felt good about getting all that extra calcium - with my hyperemesis last time, I think DS was grown purely on milk!

Last time I made the mistake of gaining about 4 stone in the 3 months AFTER DS was born as it was such a relief to eat normally after 7 months of throwing up every single meal. I was medicated just to keep down water as I was dehydrated. When it was all over I rather lost the plot and I'm determined not to do that this time.

Hmm - I fancy a kiwi fruit now...

bless you i. b .
hope youre doing ok and looking after yourself well xxx

Back