When do you know when to stop?

Plumfoodie said:
I agree we are all different, and that can lead to situations like this where it might not always be apparent where someone is coming from. But I don't think it's a reason to be unkind; if she's not a spambot (I don't think she is, you don't think she is anymore) then coming back to personal comments like those that were made would seem a bit harsh. That's all I was saying. :) I agree the night shift comment in another thread is not terribly helpful but can see how someone who has never worked nights might not realise that people don't always have a choice (and if you feel strongly about it why not comment on that post to that effect?). :)

And on that note I will stop hijacking this post, LOL. :) x

To answer the original question, I started with an original goal weight of 160lb which was based on being in the health BMI rage. I wasn't happy with the way I looked or my size when I got there (still a 14/16) so changed it to 150lb. When I hit 150 I still hadn't reached my body fat % goals (I want that to be in the healthy range too) and initially therefore decided to try to drop to 145 although I was happy at that point with my size (12/14) just not how much of me was still made of fat. :D After some thought, though, I realised that this wouldn't get me to where I wanted to be either and I changed my focus and my goal (back to 150). Now I am eating a maintenance level of calories and trying (!) to do strength training 3 times a week instead of 2 in the hopes that this will help increase lean muscle and decrease fat. But at this point I kind of take things as they come and just try to work out what my goal is, whether it is realistic and healthy, and what might help me get there at any given point. :)

You're quite right, of course, this should be a friendly place. :) I had just been a bit irritated by some of the posts so was maybe a bit to quick to add my thoughts to Greta's original comment. So Pamela, if you do re-visit this thread, I apologise for any offence caused - just maybe think a bit more about making your responses relevant to the OP's query or problem. :)

And Greta, my answer to your question - I too have, in the past, dieted to an ever-decreasing goal weight, to the point at which it actually got a bit scary. I was dwn to 8.5 stone at 5'8", so underweight, then decided I wanted to be 8 stone! Fortunately, I went back to uni after a year out, started eating too much again, and came back from what I suspect was the brink of anorexia. That was 30 years ago. Unfortunately, I then spent those three decades yo-yo dieting, and ended up at 21.5 stone. :( I set out last August to lose 10 stone, of which just over seven has gone so far. So my goal weight has always been around 11.5 stone ie. top end of the healthy BMI. Now, I may decide I'm ok before I get down to that, because at 50 I. Don't want to start to look too old, lol. Or I might carry on to that weight or lower. So I guess my advice would be to just be careful. You look very slim in your photos, so don't go mad like I did in my youth! All the very best. xx

Knowing when to stop might feel difficult for me too. As far as I can remember, from the age of 14 I've either been 'on a diet' or stuffing my face. So food has either been correct according to one plan or another, or naughty. Will need to find a way through this. Also- the temptation to get thinner and thinner might always be there. 'I look good at eleven stone, how much better might I look at ten?' etc etc. Photos might help me with this and honesty about how I look- because its the face I think which really shows if someone has got too thin. Anyway, sorry for the ramble but it was an interesting point for me to think about.

Oh maybe I got it wrong and she isn't bonkers at all? Perhaps she'll come back and explain her random comment to me? If so I shall take it all back and < virtually > prostrate myself at her < virtual > feet and < virtually > grovel.

And to clarify... I have no issues with anyone following any diet. I actually have an interest in paleo type eating - it appeals to my unprocessed food ideology. So, I am in no way attacking the plan.

Merely the author of the aforementioned missives.

Back