When the scales say Err!

How are you getting on hunny?xx

Just had a revelation!

When I started this diet I was 24 stone. The last time I was what I'd consider myself to be thin, I was between 12 and 13 stone. Now, I don't think thats a weight I'll see again and when I was 13 stone it was a daily struggle staying there. In fact to stay below I had to be exercising every day; with two kids and a 50 + hour a week job thats an impossibility now!

So, in my mind I had 14 stone as my goal. However, I wouldn't write it down as writing down that I had 10 stone to lose just seemed so unmanageable! I felt that it would just appear an insurmountable goal and I'd be disheartened and give up!!!

However, today I realised that in just 6 weeks I've lost a quarter of that:D:D. and suddenly it doesn't seem impossible. Now I know I had a massive loss to start with and i certainly wont be losing 2.5 stone in the next six weeks. But, now all of a sudden I feel like it's not an insurmountable goal and that I will actually do this!

well wot can i say ur story brought a tear to my eye and all i can say is take it one day at a time im on TFR for the secound time round 1st time i lost 4 and half stone then i had a baby kept some of the weight off but slipped in to old habbits and its hard having 4 children and not raiding the goodies in the cupboard this time im startin off much lighter at 13s 3 but i think ov my health and the way i will feel when i get to where i want to be and i also think tht every loss is better than a gain :) gud luk hun xx

Just had a revelation!

When I started this diet I was 24 stone. The last time I was what I'd consider myself to be thin, I was between 12 and 13 stone. Now, I don't think thats a weight I'll see again and when I was 13 stone it was a daily struggle staying there. In fact to stay below I had to be exercising every day; with two kids and a 50 + hour a week job thats an impossibility now!

So, in my mind I had 14 stone as my goal. However, I wouldn't write it down as writing down that I had 10 stone to lose just seemed so unmanageable! I felt that it would just appear an insurmountable goal and I'd be disheartened and give up!!!

However, today I realised that in just 6 weeks I've lost a quarter of that:D:D. and suddenly it doesn't seem impossible. Now I know I had a massive loss to start with and i certainly wont be losing 2.5 stone in the next six weeks. But, now all of a sudden I feel like it's not an insurmountable goal and that I will actually do this!
Jane there is no doubt in my mind you will get to whatever weight you want to be, you have such a positive frame of mind and you know what your weakness is regarding attitude to food, and with all that your losing weight and sticking to it and also exercising there is NOTHING you cant achieve so dont EVER think any weight is out of your reach if I achieve my goals its only because of following you and trying to be as positive. Your ears must have been burning last night as I spent all night talking about you and how you have helped me. I never thought I would get as far as I have and that is HONESTLY due to your support. My SISTER you will be a success and you will inspire others xxxxxxx

Dusty, you've done sooo well and to lose a quarter of that weight in 6 wks and it is an inspiration to everyone.
Keep going strong and you'll be there in no time at all xxx

Great start, Dusty. We can definitely do this, and together we can also set up the new habits to maintain it as well. I have never believed that before. Now, I do. Previously 100lbs seemed impossible.

I'm 40lbs down in 8 weeks and have another 60-80lbs to go, depending on what final target I use as goal (and how my face/body look).

Have a great week,

Ali

I've been thinking about why I find this forum so useful and the support of fellow LT so invaluable.

All my life I've been aware of other people's expectations of me.

I was the only girl in my family (one brother, seven cousins all boys). So I was different from everyone else to start with, all the boys would be in the middle of the room playing rough and tumble and I'd have to sit on a chair with the adults looking pretty! I was also my nan's pet. I adored my nan and the feeling was mutual. Because I was the only girl she spoiled me rotten. My nan was very glamorous and wanted me to always look pretty. It's no exaggeration to say I wasn't allowed out of pink till I was 18;). I get one really well with my cousins and brother, but I know they see me differently to them.

My mum had been very clever at school but they'd not had the money for the grammar school uniform so couldn't go on. Plus she had to leave school as soon as she could to earn money for the family. My dad did ok at school, but because of trauma in his family, he played a lot of truant at school. he only decided to "knuckle down" as a teenager and I knew how much he regretted it. He talked about how he saw lots of his friends going into"white collar" jobs whilst he ended up in factories. Out of all my generation of the family, I was the one who did well at school, so knew I had the opportunity to do things that my mum and dad had only dreamed about. They were always proud of me but I always felt that expectation that I should use the opportunities that they had never had to do as well as I could

So I as I've grown and matured, I've always tried to live up to my family's expectations for me. And despite being 45, I'm still doing it.

I've pushed myself to be as successful as I can in my job.....Despite working at least a 50 hour week, I make sure I spend most of Sunday's with my mum (since my dad died 3 years ago)...... I take my aunt on days out as regularly as I can (my uncle died same time as my dad) .....And, despite being so over weight, I spend ages on my appearance so that people often comment on my nice clothes or good make up.

When most of the time what I actually want to do is curl up in a ball under my duvet and hide. It's not often that I'm just me.

Even at work now, I realised that if things were going to improve in my school my first job was to nurture my staff and look after them. They could only start being better for the kids, once they were being looked after properly.

But sometimes I just want to say "But what about me?"

So that's my longwinded way of saying why this forum is so great. Here I can just be me and whenever I need support you're always here for me.

Awww Dusty... tears in my eyes hun. That my dear was straight from the heart and I am sure there will be a lot of ladies identify greatly with your story as well... I know I do.. only girl syndrome... but for me never quite acheiving what my family expected of me.... BUT now is the time for you! and as you say this forum is the best place to just "simply Be".... well done so far, you are doing brilliantly... :D:D Love to you L xxx

Thanks Lou.

I did start off as a bit of a rant but ended up crying myself as I was typing.

I often wonder if this is the reason I have a weight problem. I have to be so in control and successful in every other aspect of my life that not being in control of my eating is the only outlet for the pressure l feel. I know I'm not unique in feeling under pressure, in fact I'm very lucky in comparison to lots of people. But at least here I can give vent to stuff without judgement.

Gosh that's a bit heavy for a Monday morning hun :D lol. Can totally understand what you are saying though, and it's good to have these moments of clarity whilst losing weight. Can only help you on your onward journey :) It's good to have somewhere that you can let it out though isn't it and know you won't be judged :) Well done Dusty. You are doing FAB! :D xx

Wonderfully insightful, Dusty. I'm one of 4 girls - I was the last and supposed to be a son and heir. I have spent my life being dutiful, looking after others and being an overachiever academically and at work. I have worked way too much at deep cost to myself. In fact I had to leave my last job because it made me so unhappy to work with people who behaved so badly, when I was pushing myself to the max.

So Dusty...what about you? You are so important you must put yourself first ahead of the staff and family. If you don't take care of yourself, you'll be less able to look after the others and/or die early. It is wonderful that you post here, support us, and get support for yourself. Your strength staying on track through the inspection was awesome.

So I look forward to tthe new insights and practical ways we will look after ourselves as we release the lbs back to the wild and make new ways of living that will keep us healthy and happy at goal.

Thank you, Dusty.

Ali

Thanks Lou.

I did start off as a bit of a rant but ended up crying myself as I was typing.

I often wonder if this is the reason I have a weight problem. I have to be so in control and successful in every other aspect of my life that not being in control of my eating is the only outlet for the pressure l feel. I know I'm not unique in feeling under pressure, in fact I'm very lucky in comparison to lots of people. But at least here I can give vent to stuff without judgement.
Exactly!! This forum is sooo cathartic, I`ve shared about my bulimia... and it was like a weight of shame lifted... and it also made me tackle it head on, to the point I am now starting with the help I need this week :) So go Minimins and all of us STRONG women.... just need to remember we need tlc from ourselves 1st and foremost... xxxx

AWWW Jane you are a good woman you dont need to try to be what others expect you to be, I think to a degree everyone try's to be what we think others want but YOU my lovely need to realise your enough just the way you are. Those that love you dont need you to change or be something you dont want to be, I think this is why your changing and losing weight cause this is your time and anyone that does not love YOU dont deserve to be in your life. I think the Jane iv met on here is pretty damn fabulous

Well, I've fianlly done it!

I've chosen a weight to aim for of 14 stone. Now I know to many of you that seems really heavy but standing 6ft tall it isn't!
I've never felt confident enough to commit myself to a long term aim; I was worried it would put me off.
But thanks to support I get from you lot (on and off here), I'm being bold and seizing the day

Yaay well done for choosing your goal weight :D that's awesome hun. Just found your diary so now I can stalk you like crazy, loving it so far - your thoughts and writing is so insightful :) xxxx

and a fabulous way to seize the day! Congratulations on your decision.

Ali

Sounds good to me :) You just need a ticker in your signature now ;) xx

well done hunni xx

Thanks everyone!!
Well the good news is after only losing 1lb last week, i've lost 7 this week!!

That makes 3 stone in 7 weeks. So now I've lost 30% of the weight I started out with:D:D:D:D

Back