Where do we stand? Re landlord

thasnks hun. I just feel like he thinks i am a joke!
I am in agony with my arms where i have got shocked.
and no never got them here before.
Just had a look and it was the 15 amp one i told him he could have fitted it with the wrong one and he said i know what i am doing as i used the same thickness as the one before.

I just wish i was a man they seem to be more authoritative.!x

i'd ignor landlord and go through agent and let them know your landlord isn't qualified and you keep getting shocks and how young your son is... it is possible get shocks off things so its not you. hows your son is he normal or crying alot?

id deffo just ring agent ad say your on your last tether..
not sure if you have any spare money (dnt mean that affensive just we budget and only have what we need lol) but might be idea ring electrician and get them round asap then get them write down everything and send a COPY to landlord. if proves hes done it faulty etc he'll be in trouble and will have to pay you back cost! and least you know it be done properly as tbh sounds like he'll only come back round and bodge it again! most landlords dont like falkling out money!

my son is fine i havent let him get off the sofa to be honest as i am too scared to.
i am too scard to put any appliances on in the kitchen so am starving as obviously with sw you have to cook everything!
We are skint so not much we can do. I will just have to eat out i spose. :(

My father in law said a shock like that can kill my son? i am so scared!

Basically we only pay the rent through the estate agent (not what i wanted but we didnt know) we found the house through rightmove and then once we were in was told the estate agents were passing it back to the landlord and he would deal privately which we didnt want! So we aren't protected at all.
x

Get on to your local council and/or the citizens advice bureau and ask for their advice. Someone who has put 30 amp fuse wire in is totally incompetent and should not be allowed anywhere near anything electrical.

Getting electric shocks can be anything from a minor discomfort up to fatal - especially if you have wet hands or there is water involved somehow.

Try to avoid touching anything metallic and tell the landlord that you are going to get advice about whether the house complies with all the legal requirements.

You need someone qualified and competent to deal with this now.

Get on to the estate agents as well.

Fantastic advice from Avisk - you should phone someone aside from your landlord and have this checked.
As the others have said, your rented property must be safe - it is not your problem that you are having electric shocks.
Don't think about offending anyone - be assertive, thinking of yourself and your baby and get this sorted.
I cannot believe the nerve your landlord has......
Take care. x

Go to your local citizens advice -and tell your landlord that you're seeking advice, as it's his responsibility to ensure the property is safe, and he's not responding to you and you need to issue rectified asap. You need a professional electrician to check it out, and the landlord should be liable for the cost, but if he won't arrange for an electrician you should and seek the cost back from him.

also sorry to go on he said he looked into getting the fuse board re done but cant afford it as it will be 500.

spoke to cab and she said get back on to ll and ask for electrician over,.

i will get hubby to do this as i haven't got the confidence to keep doing it.

the leccy he uses is his mate? can i trust this?
x

tell him its tough he as to pay £500! he shouldnt be lettin property out if its not safe... and you pay rent to him for a safe home!

i wouldn't trust his friend to be 100% honest with you, if you can borrow money or scrape some money up you can get a electrician to just 'look' over your house and write down and sign whats wrong i know they dont charge much for this and if they dont need buy anything big and just change fuse so its safe hey dont charge much!

i'd get that done then at least you have proof etc

I am assuming that if you live in Dorking your local council is Mole Valley.

If so, here are some numbers for you:

Mole Valley Council - 01306 885001
(the Housing Department is also on that number)
Trading Standards - 01372 371700

Details of your local CAB:
Mole Valley - Leatherhead and Dorking Citizens Advice Bureau

You could also contact the Consumer Direct on 0845 404 0506

what would i say to the council and trading standards|?
xx

tell him its tough he as to pay £500! he shouldnt be lettin property out if its not safe... and you pay rent to him for a safe home!

i wouldn't trust his friend to be 100% honest with you, if you can borrow money or scrape some money up you can get a electrician to just 'look' over your house and write down and sign whats wrong i know they dont charge much for this and if they dont need buy anything big and just change fuse so its safe hey dont charge much!

i'd get that done then at least you have proof etc

See i wish i had the courage to say this. I cant get hold of my husband. I am starving lol.

We literally have £10 for the rest of the month which will prob go on potatoes lol.

I was thinking of taking the fuse out and just living in the dark see if that helped or can you not have a fuse board with the fuse taken out turned on if you know what i mean?

Cos if i take out the fuse thing he "fixed" and i dont get any more shocks then that proves the point doesnt it?

x

Just explain the situation to them. I am not sure Trading Standards can help, I just think you should be ringing anyone and everyone to try to get this sorted out.

The local council office should know who you can talk to, might even be able to recommend a reliable local electrician.

Just explain the situation to them. I am not sure Trading Standards can help, I just think you should be ringing anyone and everyone to try to get this sorted out.

The local council office should know who you can talk to, might even be able to recommend a reliable local electrician.

yea but the problem is i cant afford an electrician right now. :( so we are stuck. x

i wouldnt touch anything as then he can say you did it?!

is there anywhere you can go for rest of day?
what umber you got fo yor landlord? if is mobile you could be cheeky and text him that your ringing trading standards as house is currently unsafe! maybe i know its unproffesional but he reads it he could get scared... i havnt got guts to do things i dnt even ring gas/electric company i get partner do everything lol

i;d be too scared to do that. I just wosh my husband would get back to me :( feel like i am on my own with this (with your help obviously) but the landlord is convinced its me.

But surkley if had static electricity going through me then i would be giving the baby electric shocks wouldnt i?

I could go out but i would have to pay for parkign etc. Oh god i feel like a right idiot.

ask him to see the electric certificate as you should have been given a copy of one one when you moved in he sounds like a fly be night who is just trying to save money i would then tell him that you are contacting the council as the house is unsafe and that they may well force him to do the repairs and could even fine him

Back