Where do we stand? Re landlord

yea but the problem is i cant afford an electrician right now. :( so we are stuck. x

If you contacted Trading Standards they might be able to tell your landlord that he has to do something to avoid investigation/prosecution.

Which are you more scared of - confronting the situation or being electrocuted?

Sorry to be harsh, but there is only just so much people here can do at a distance.

We rent out our UK flat as we're overseas for a few years with hubby's job and yes, landlords have to get the gas and electrics checked by a qualified professional every single year and you are entitled to see the certificate as proof of this. I would be very worried to be getting shocks just after he's fiddled about with things. Talk to the council if no joy with landlord. It's not worth taking risks with gas or electrics, especially if they're old.

Hi Hun. We have a house that we have tenants in, every year i have to get an electrical and gas certificate done, stating that the house is safe etc. I also paid and got my fire checked by british gas for carbon monoxide etc. I would ask to see these certificates? i always gave copies to my tenants. chances are, he hasnt done them, any you definitely should not be getting electric shocks! get back on to him xx

My avon lady had trouble and rang the council, and they sent someone out (even tho it was a private lanlord) If the wiring is unsafe (as hers was) then the landlord has to repair it under the law, must be H&S, and he was not allowed to put her rent up either.

I was thinking of taking the fuse out and just living in the dark see if that helped or can you not have a fuse board with the fuse taken out turned on if you know what i mean?

Cos if i take out the fuse thing he "fixed" and i dont get any more shocks then that proves the point doesnt it?

x

NO dont touch anything. If you take it out you can bet your bottom dollar he'll turn this around and say it was fine til you started fiddling with it.

update - re electric shocks

Well apparently it was the TAp my husband got elec shock off and the oven so i called the landlord and hes getting somoene over tomorrow.
In the meantime we are at my sisters as its not safe there.
xxx

I am no expert and have no concrete advice for you other than to find out if there is an independant body who could check it out............ what about your local health and safety office.

My heart goes out to you. You sound so frightened and so concerned for your young baby.

I hope it is all resolved soon,

Sue xxx

how did this end up?

We had major probs with our landlord over the xmas period. We were left with no heating or hot water over xmas cuz when the plumbing went, our landlord got a total cowboy round to fix it.
I don't think it ever would've been fixed had I not rang the landlord under the guise of my mum. i told him (after carefully looking up some tenancy laws) that as our house wasn't fit for human habitation, we would be spending xmas and new year at a hotel and sending him the bill, and with holding rent for each day we were without heating and hot water. That made him get his backside into gear!
Landlords can scare very easily, so mentioning the council or trading standards would probably be enough to get what you want from him

Back