Which Laxatives?!

I find psyllium husks are wondeful - and if you get them right can make fantastic porridge in the morning!!!

I tend to use them every day - mainly because i like the stoge of the porridge - but also so I don't get constipated. I had piles with my 3 kids .......... not intending to go there again!!!!

reply from laura5510

hi there i like the sound of movical i will try and get some i took ducolax but you do get a lot of pain with it when it starts to work i felt doubled up with it. I definetly need laxatives i once had an impactation i have wrote about it on forum i thought i would need hospital . It was an horrendous experience and i was drinking 6 litres of water a day at the time.
Laura5510

Last edited:
hi there i like the sound of movical i will try and get some i took ducolax but you do get a lot of pain with it when it starts to work i felt doubled up with it. I definetly need laxatives i once had an impactation if i have wrote about it on forum i thought i would need hospital . It was an horrendous experience and i was drinking 6 litres of water a day at the time.
Laura5510

Laura, Movicol is wonderful... not pain.. no trots.. just a erm normal err process hehe!!!

Sometimes it takes longer to work that other times, but it doesn't disrupt ur day or night... it really is just like normal!!!! I got it over the counter at the Sainsbury's chemist.. was £6.50 or something like that :) Good luck

I'd thoroughly recommend psyllium husks either in powder or capsule form. Psyllium husks work as a bulking agent and so encourage NORMAL bowel activity unlike laxatives which irritate the bowels, encouraging them to expel the contents (eeeuwww). PH are carb and cal free so won't trash the diet - they work by absorbing liquid and bulking out in the bowels, pressing against the walls thereby triggering the normal response.

I use the powder to make porrige and thick soups: others prefer to take the capsules.

Laxatives are OK as an occasional cure but prevention is far better.

Thank you for your replies . I aim to get movical when i am out and about once more also psyllium husks movical isnt similar to fibregel though is it as Fibregel made me worse.
Laura5510

I've never tried Fibregel.. but no as far as I am aware Movicol is nothing like it.. hopefully someone will be by who knows for sure. I use psyllium husks, the ground variety everyday too.. and then Movicol every 3-4 days... works wonderfully IMO

Fibrogel is a bulking agent. Works for some, like everything. Movicol is a rehydrator, ie rehydrates a dried out stool, making passing it much easier. The active ingredient is the water. A very 'kind' laxative! Like RD says though, prevention is better, and just keep laxatives for when you're desperate!

Movicol can safely be used daily without problems though, as is makes the bowel work naturally! Its used by lots of hospitals, homes etc, where drugs can stop many ,many people from 'going' normally!

Hi there i got some psyllium husks and movical. I decided to put a heaped teaspoon as suggested in my cambridge chocolate shake. Wow fantastic the sort my health food shop sold me was powdered in the shake it tasted like chocolate ready break and had no lumps. I have also taken a sachet of movical will see what happens . Thanks again for your help.
laura5510

Ive been using for the last week and a bit one called Herbolax . The good thing about them is that you can take them for as long as you need them because your body wont become dependant on them which is a problem with alot of laxatives.

Ive not checked if they are 100% allowed on the diet but as far as I gather from the company it just bulks things up so isnt absorbed into the body so should affect anything (well accept for you know what) . This week saw my biggest loss for a while. As crude as it is this week some of my weight loss credit need go to my new found bottled friend.

Ive also used dulcolax in the past too but found it made toilet time a little more dramatic than it perhaps should be.

i'm having the same problems!
using psyllium husk capsules (4 a day) but not feeling any effects at all :(

might give movicol a go!

xxx
Id up the Psyllim husk caps as well. I was taking the 4 a day as quoted on the tub but someone on here recomended taking more. I now take about 10 a day spread throughout the day, always with loads of water. Im still not fantastic but loads better. Have you tried the powder loads of people swaear by it I just cant take it myself.

Ooh no i havent tried the powder! how do you take it? Does it taste ok?

Think i'll try upping them in the meantime :/

xxx

I bought the powder as couldn't get the tablets. Took it with some trepidation! Fine - tasted of lemon. Only had one but need a little more. Does everyone take one sachet a day? I took mine at night as I didn't want to be caught short out today! lol

my husbands big boxes of movical are looking very tempting now. he is on it due to his oxynorm/oxycontin drugs, which can cause toilet trouble. he has two sachets a day, hopefully i will need jus the one.

Back