Who are you dieting for?

So you should be. It is something to be proud of that you gave up.

One thing at a time for me and right now that is too reach target and I am certainly heading the right way on my diet.

hi
i am dieting for several reasons
1st for me so i live long feel fitter and look better and i have just turned 50 so now is as good a time to start
my son wedding in august
to be fitter and be able to do more with my grandaughter
and any more that may follow
and because i have been able to take control of my life and get rid of a number of demons that i should ahve faced a long time ago

good luck every one and i hope that weight is he only thing you lose this plentiful

I have lots of people around me telling me I don't need to diet, I am a size 14 but at 5'2" my BMI is too high. I don't feel good about myself. Actually having people who are trying to discourage me from the diet is the worst part. 3

I keep telling them I'm doing it for me and they seem to understand. I gained wieght while i was on the contraceptive jab and I never shifted it when i broke up with ex. Now i'm "comfortable" in my new relationship and have slipped back into bad habbits. Not good!

Also half my summer clothes are size 12 and they don't fit!! I don't want to have to buy a whole new summer wardrobe, i loved the old one!!

I'll be honest now if I look back this is the first time I have attempted to lose just for me. In the past it's been to fit in more or to impress a guy or so I could attend an event without feeling bad. this time it really is for me and me alone.

Wow - there is some real food for thought here.
I really do believe that this time I'm doing it for myself - My first two grandchildren were born last year and I would like to think that shedding some of the extra weight will help me to be around a bit longer to see them grow up.
10 years ago, at the end of a very unhappy marriage, I lost 4 stones. I kept it off for 3 years, then met a wonderful man (now my husband) who unfortunately has the same weaknesses I do - I've never known a man have such a sweet tooth!
My good habits went out of the window, and in the last four years or so I have put on nearly all the weight I lost.
I'm so angry with myself.
Fortunately, my husband is joining me on a low-carb diet, as he has also put on weight in the time we've been together.
It won't be easy, but I will try to stick at it.
Thanks for all the support on this site - I do appreciate it.

this is so true. I've always thought i was doing it for me, but now i think it was for a wedding, or to feel more accepted. Now its gotten to teh stage it could damage my health. Danielle Jane- loved your post- you are so completely right. It alsways has to be about you, and stand up to those who say that.
I really get annoyed at those people who feel when I talk about my weight the need to tell me i dont look as heavy as I am, or the constant "have you lost weight?", regardless of whehter they think i have or not- drives me insane!!

i'm loosing it for me, I did last time so I thought, but you know what it wasn't for me, it was for others and that I feel is why it crept back on- not all of it but more than should of.. this time I want to feel better about me and I don't care who tells me i'm going to fail again.. I know i'm not...

i'm losing it for me too, i only have one goal and thats to get back out walking with the hillwalking club come september. i need to get fit and lose weight before i attempt that but i think once i back out walking with them the weight will just fall off. they're savage walks:) makes it easier i think when there is a definite goal and its realistic too;)

I want to do it for me
I want to do it so I don't feel fat and frumpy
I want to do it so I get my sparkle back
I want to be able to fit in a plane seat without an extension belt
I want to be able to feel sexy
I want to do it so I can go and buy clothes from any shop I choose
I want to do it so my knees don't hurt
I want to do it so I can walk upstairs without getting out of breath
I just want to do it.

xxx

This time.. I desperately don't want anyone to notice or comment.....surely I was this skinny all along? can it really be that much of a difference?

I do know that I treat myself better when skinny, I take more care of my appearance, I dress differently. It's horrid to think that I care about myself more when I'm skinny. Like I somehow evaluate myself as "better"??

Oh I know exactly what you mean about not wanting anyone to notice.

I did CD about 3 years ago and lost 4 stones. All of a sudden I became a "person". People said how fabulous I looked; how well I looked. People at work asked my opinion on important issues where they hadn't before, unless it was about recipes, babies, shopping, etc. Then there were the occasional snidey comments from female colleagues like "ooh look at her, thinking she's something now she's lost some weight" etc. It took me a while to put it all together but I realised that I wasn't actually any happier thin than I was when I was fat (fitter certainly, but not happier). The weight then started creeping back on until all of those 4 stones have gone back on...and a couple of extra pounds.

Now I realise, I was probably losing weight to make other people respect and value me more, and that kind of respect, the kind that is related to my size, isn't the kind that I want.

This time, I am doing it for myself - so that I respect myself for my achievement, my determination, my self-control, etc etc. I am doing it so that I control whether I get Type II diabetes or not, whether i die early of heart disease or not, whether I get another thrombosis due to inactivity or not.......

My only worry is that the same reactions I got first time round will happen againt his time. Hopefully though, I will have learned to deal with them differently this time, and not let them affect MY goals.

Apologies for the waffly rant :eek:

Lesley

Really best of luck there, sounds like the people around you were jealous but well done for realising it's about you and not them.

Oh I know exactly what you mean about not wanting anyone to notice.

I did CD about 3 years ago and lost 4 stones. All of a sudden I became a "person". People said how fabulous I looked; how well I looked. People at work asked my opinion on important issues where they hadn't before, unless it was about recipes, babies, shopping, etc. Then there were the occasional snidey comments from female colleagues like "ooh look at her, thinking she's something now she's lost some weight" etc. It took me a while to put it all together but I realised that I wasn't actually any happier thin than I was when I was fat (fitter certainly, but not happier). The weight then started creeping back on until all of those 4 stones have gone back on...and a couple of extra pounds.

Now I realise, I was probably losing weight to make other people respect and value me more, and that kind of respect, the kind that is related to my size, isn't the kind that I want.

This time, I am doing it for myself - so that I respect myself for my achievement, my determination, my self-control, etc etc. I am doing it so that I control whether I get Type II diabetes or not, whether i die early of heart disease or not, whether I get another thrombosis due to inactivity or not.......

My only worry is that the same reactions I got first time round will happen againt his time. Hopefully though, I will have learned to deal with them differently this time, and not let them affect MY goals.

Apologies for the waffly rant :eek:

Lesley

Thanks Kikikisses.

I have always dieted for me but years back I was also doing it for my sons. I did not want them to have a morbidly obese Mum. My younger boy especially had the MO Mum for a few years and I was full of guilt about it so I launched a serious get-real dieting campaign. I've now lost a total of ten stones, kept most of it off for nine years, and feel so much better.

I am now only pounds from goal and very happily doing vegetarian Atkins. I am at university, I have lots more energy, and now that my sons are grown I am making plans for my future. All this, because I lost the weight.

Nowadays I do it FOR ME. The other benefits follow.

10 stone off, and maintained for 9 years? That's fantastic! Vegetarian Atkins must be tough - I always thought how difficult it must be to do as a vegetarian.

By the way, excuse my ignorance, but what is a MO Mum?

Sorry, dopey me, I've just noticed what MO means - Derrrr!

I have always dieted for me but years back I was also doing it for my sons. I did not want them to have a morbidly obese Mum. My younger boy especially had the MO Mum for a few years and I was full of guilt about it so I launched a serious get-real dieting campaign. I've now lost a total of ten stones, kept most of it off for nine years, and feel so much better.

I am now only pounds from goal and very happily doing vegetarian Atkins. I am at university, I have lots more energy, and now that my sons are grown I am making plans for my future. All this, because I lost the weight.

Nowadays I do it FOR ME. The other benefits follow.

You have done amazingly well, and to keep it off for so long, wow :p
Vegetarian Atkins? How does that work???

Im dieting for me and me only

I am dieting for my health! so I am healthier for my children. Also to get my confidance back!

mine id say is 70:30. Mainly for me, for my health and confidence. Id love to be able to shop in any clothes shop without hoping they go up to plus sizes, shopping with my mates and not being embarrassed that i couldnt get in to all the styles they are trying on.

I want to prove to others that i can do it which is the 30

You will Ria. Stick with it.
Just think of that time when you can go into any shop you like and know they'll have your size, not have to go to Evans (great though it is) and findsomething that'll look good with black trousers.
Wait until you can say - do you have this in a smaller size !!!! It will feel fab.:)

Back