Why are people so negative about this diet???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rayven

Addicted to Minimins!
Ok, so i understand that at first glance Cambridge may seem extreme and/or dangerous, but once you explain the fact that it's nutritionally complete and has to be signed off by the doctor (and he wouldn't do that unless it was safe) why is it people STILL aren't supportive.
Last time round i kept everyone in the dark about doing ss, but it enabled me to cheat without having to justify my actions (no guilt) so this time round i thought i'd tell everyone so that i could get additional support (especially at social events etc) but all i'm getting is earache! :mad:
If the diet is soooo good for you and nutritionally complete why do you experience hair loss? (couldn't answer that one though), you're going to become anorexic, it can't be safe if you're not eating, everyone who loses weight puts it back on.....you'll end up in hospital..........:mad::mad::mad:
Why can't people just accept it for what it is? Another way to lose weight. I don't think i'd get this much negativity if i told everyone i was going in for liposuction!!

Have you lost any hair? I haven't. My mother didn't when she lost a load of weight on it back in the 80's. She did put weight back on, but it was over years and years, not a load of weight on all of a sudden after the diet.

Thing is, when people come out with this stuff where did they get their information? Word of mouth? Read it in Heat? Some 'When Diets Go Wrong' TV 'show'. They're only seeing/hearing/reading about the horror stories and when you read between the lines of them they're going wrong because the dieter either didn't follow it properly, there was something medically wrong with them and they didn't consult their doctor, they didn't follow the steps to come off the diet properly etc. etc.

You don't hear about the success stories in the likes of Heat and those TV programmes because they aren't interested when things go well. They like to churn out other people's misery, suffering and embarrasment for our entertainment. Same reason as why there have been so many programmes about Tourettes over the years. Is it to raise awareness, or is it so we can all laugh at a 'funny' affliction?

Bollocks to 'em that what I say. You can get your support here ;)

Have you lost any hair? I haven't. My mother didn't when she lost a load of weight on it back in the 80's. She did put weight back on, but it was over years and years, not a load of weight on all of a sudden after the diet.

Thing is, when people come out with this stuff where did they get their information? Word of mouth? Read it in Heat? Some 'When Diets Go Wrong' TV 'show'. They're only seeing/hearing/reading about the horror stories and when you read between the lines of them they're going wrong because the dieter either didn't follow it properly, there was something medically wrong with them and they didn't consult their doctor, they didn't follow the steps to come off the diet properly etc. etc.

You don't hear about the success stories in the likes of Heat and those TV programmes because they aren't interested when things go well. They like to churn out other people's misery, suffering and embarrasment for our entertainment. Same reason as why there have been so many programmes about Tourettes over the years. Is it to raise awareness, or is it so we can all laugh at a 'funny' affliction?

Bollocks to 'em that what I say. You can get your support here ;)

Well said I couldn't have put it better !!!

Awwww, bless ya Lunar Jim. I hadn't thought about it like that. My Mum, (for one) had never even heard of Cambridge until i told her about it and then was full of negative comments - even though she only knew what i'd told her about the diet.
Half my problem is i worry too much about what other people think.

I lost a lot of my weight on CD. It does provide you with all your nutritional needs. I did lose hair when I came off it - not loads and not enough to show but more than usual.

I think what happens is, like in pregnancy, your body holds onto the hair. Afterwards it lets it go. I think it does that with any major calorie drop.

The hair loss isn't major.

As for the 'you'll put it all back on' thing well yes you will if you don't learn how to eat properly and change how you eat for life. I do think though that once you just had shakes for weeks you are quite motivated to eat properly afterwards!

Hey
I agree with everything LJ said........
Also some people may be jealous, perhaps they could do with shedding a few pounds themselves but just cant do it.. Or perhaps they are scared, scared that you are going to look slimmer and better than them.
I have noticed that with a few people they say dont lose anymore your be too skinny.....
Rise above it hon, as you will come out better off...... Chin up keep smiling take it all in but dont listen to a word of it..

In my opinion CD ROCKS and has definatley changed my life for the better!!!! and I am sure most of us on here too x

Awwww, bless ya Lunar Jim. I hadn't thought about it like that. My Mum, (for one) had never even heard of Cambridge until i told her about it and then was full of negative comments - even though she only knew what i'd told her about the diet.
Half my problem is i worry too much about what other people think.

Haha sorry I started to rant after a while. I'm not including your mum here BTW, she's probably concerned about the not eating food thing and she's just being protective of you, as mothers do!

It's just I hate that magazine mentality a lot of people have where it seems you have to be skinny from the get-go. If you're fat you're stigmatized, and if you lose weight by 'extreme' measures such as surgery or CD or whatever then you're stigmatized again. You have to look how 'they' approve. You have to lose weight in a manner 'they' approve of. Otherwise you are a freak and are to be laughed and gossiped about. Which is why I said 'bollocks to them'...

Personally I'm not doing this diet for how I look, although seeing the inches come off is a good indication of how I'm doing. I want to be fit, and go on bike rides with my kids, and play with them for hours.

Yet I still won't go swimming because I know people will be looking and talking about me behind my back. Sad isn't it?

Yet I still won't go swimming because I know people will be looking and talking about me behind my back. Sad isn't it?

Hun, I've been fat then skinny then back to fat again & even when i was a size 8 & tiny, i STILL thought people were looking at me and laughing. I think we all get into a 'fat' mentality. So used to people looking at us and laughing or commenting about our weight we can't seem to drop it even when we DO lose it.
You said we shouldn't worry about what people say or think about this diet........ I'm saying the same thing about you going swimming.....
Bollocks to 'em that what I say

The biggest thing that CD has given me up to now is more self confidence. I have never really been bothered about what people say about me, although I would not be human if I said that it didnt effect me at all.

For me this diet is all about taking control. Control of our unhealthy eating habits, control of the choices we make as far as food is concerned and control of how we present ourselves to the world.

This diet is for you and you alone, nothing to do with the family or friends or anyone else who would knock you or put you off your stride.

This is your journey to release the inner thin person that you want to be and nothing to do with anyone else.

I echo Jim's comments and say Bollocks to the lot of them!!

I'm only in my 2nd week of CD, but I have told some of my work colleagues and my boss. All have been very supportive so far, tho I did get some eye rolling when I told them what the diet involves.:rolleyes: I must be very lucky, but things might change as I shrink.
I know from previous attempts at loosing weight that people dont like it when you change. They have a 'set' idea of who you are, and when that changes it makes them feel uneasy.

As the saying goes, people are afraid of what they don't know, and the same applies here to CD. People who say how 'unhealthy' this diet is obviously don't know anything about it, the fact that we are getting perfect nutrition from the packs seems to go over their heads!
It certaintly can't be as unhealthy as being stones overweight. I bet that those of us on CD are in better health and getting more vitamins and nutrients than those on so- called 'healthy eating' plans.
Some people may also be jealous of the amazing results, if they aren't doing as well on their own diets the knives come out, and they criticise. I always say horses for courses, whatever works for you.
Like Jim said forget those who make negative remarks and get your support here instead!!:D

You said we shouldn't worry about what people say or think about this diet........ I'm saying the same thing about you going swimming.....

That's why I'm saying it's sad, I know I shouldn't give a stuff what other people think. But like FBS says, you're only human

And to add to that (if theres anything left to add) as it says in the book, it's unproven that if you lose weight quickly you put it back on faster, thats a load of rubbish, the only reason it will go back on quickly is if you are eating crap, would be the same with any other diet (WW or SW)!!

And to add to that (if theres anything left to add) as it says in the book, it's unproven that if you lose weight quickly you put it back on faster, thats a load of rubbish, the only reason it will go back on quickly is if you are eating crap, would be the same with any other diet (WW or SW)!!

'They' are no different to 'us', in that if someone who's watched their weight all their life suddenly decided to scoff parmos and chocolate and other yummy things, and basically eat how I used to, without much in the way of exercise, would soon pile on the lbs.

It winds me up how people think its ok to have all sorts of opinions - usually garnered from third hand anecdote, the rabid tabloid press, or wimmins magazines (all such reliable sources, I'm sure you'll agree) - about a) diets they know nothing about b) people with a weight problem, you in particular c) what you 'should' do - hacks me right off...and this is why I had such a major thump off the wagon this weekend. I was too reluctant to confront what other people thought, and couldnt' be doing with all the negativity and criticism that I know comes with telling people you're doing a VLCD. Comments about 'that's not healthy' or 'your hair will all fall out' or 'it only works for as long as you do it' or even 'why not join weightwatchers' or 'eat less move more'. Grrrrr. Gets right up my nose. If those things worked for me, do you think I'd be here? Jeeez, thanks for those, I never thought of eating less - do you think that'll do it for me? God.

Well that taught me!

From here on in, I'm not giving a stuff what people think or how they respond. I have SO proved that it isn't worth trying to conform to what people think you 'ought' to do. A polite 'thank you for your concern, but I'm quite comfortable with my choices' should deter them. And if they persist I'll have no trouble at all just saying that this is, after all, MY choice, and they can butt out now, thankyou SO much.

Sorry, I appear to be ranting again. But it annoys me in the first place and now I have reason to be very upset about the position I put myself in because of it!

A friend of mine was really negative when I started 5 weeks ago, and kept harping on about she was dieting using exercise and sensible eating, well 5 weeks on I've lost over 21 pounds, she lost 5 pounds, and she now has an appointment with a CDC..... and I am pretty smug right now!

GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!

I posted on my Facebook page this morning that i was starting CD and someone posted this.....
Be careful hun. Its not the best option.

I was then chatting to RussianDoll on my facebook wall about the fact that she'd give it another go and that i'd tried it before and i got this posted from the same person....
Hope it works. My sister did it too and put it all back and more as it doesnt teach you anything about food or cooking. Best way is slow and sure with exercise and diet..and healthy lifestyle..boring but true. Ok in short term.. but long term.. not so good. Im not a lover as you can tell but ..Good Luck anyway. Im sure it will work, cambridge cant fail as you on such a restricted amount of calories...it can only come off..in short term.

:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
So i posted....
i understand your view, but I've been on and off every diet in the book, i've been on nutrition courses, i know what a healthy lifestyle is. I understand that your sister did it and put all the weight back on, but what about all the people who lose LOTS of weight in a short space of time (5 stone plus) and who have kept it off for years? (...
therefore it doesn't just work short term ) Cambridge isn't just to be followed as a substitute for food and then go back to eating normally, there are actually steps up - as you approach goal you start introducing more foods (gradually), learning about healthy eating to a point where you are having a healthy balanced diet (and in order to keep the weight off you just have to stick to the healthy balanced diet, which is what you have to do in order to keep the weight off on any diet)
The diet isn't for everyone (i don't even know if its for me yet! lol),and its not just a quick fix (follow it and then eat how you did before)

Sorry for the long post but some people just p*ss me off! :mad:

Just an outsider's point of view... and I hope you don't find it offensive, I'm only sharing this because it might help you understand why people hold negative views about CD and replacement diets like them.

I just don't like seeing people taken for a ride. Yes, CD no doubt works for many people, when you're eating such a scant amount of calories you can't help but lose, but the way a lot of us look at it is that if a diet can cause hair loss, is that the right diet to be encouraging people to take up? And that stats seem to indicate that dieting in general just -doesn't- work in the long term for the majority of people who end up yo'yoing all their lives. What I don't like is the diet industry that seems to feed on people's despair and desperation, and offer them quick fix, expensive solutions, just so big knobs can line their pockets with an endless supply of cash from people who've tried many times to lose weight and failed and now are desperate enough to try anything.

If you're determined, you'll succeed at any diet you put your mind to, and I wish you and everyone trying to lose weight nothing but luck. The thing is - do you not see how unscrupulous companies can push their packs and shakes and expensive nonsense at people like a crutch, get them high on fast short-term losses, and then if they fall off the wagon, they feel the only way to get back on it is to go back to those shakes and bars and all that stuff. I see a lot of people who say 'starting CD again' or 'going to SS for a few weeks to get back on track.' Not just CD, any diet like it. It's as if they're hooked on the products because the company encourages them to feel it's the only way they can be truly safe around food.

To me, that's a type of exploitation. It's up there with spiritual mediums who prey on people who are desperate for something, just to take their cash. It makes me angry, that culture of encouraging dependence on expensive products.
If it works for you, that's all you have to worry about. But a lot of people hate to see others trapped in a cycle that seems to just make these diet industry fat cats richer at the expense of promoting a realistic, truthful and sensible approach to dealing with real food in real life scenarios.

Like I said, hope I didn't offend anyone, and best of all possible luck on your chosen path!

I see your point Iris, but then you seem to be looking at it from only a negative viewpoint. Yes 'some' people do experience hairloss, but its is only some people and it is only temporary. If it REALLY was dangerous and unhealthy Doctors not only wouldn't sign the form allowing you to go on it, but they wouldn't recommend it, as some doctors do. Also pregnancy makes you lose hair (totally different thing i know) and i lost a hell of a lot more hair through pregnancy than i did on this diet, but does that mean people tell me never to have another baby? Of course not because the end result is far worth losing a bit of hair short term. (ok so that may sound crazy comparing but its all i could think of! lol)

What I don't like is the diet industry that seems to feed on people's despair and desperation

Thats a good point, but if the need wasn't there in the first place they wouldn't have to cater for it. What I don't like is the fact that over-weight people feel like they're not beautiful, have to be skinny in order to feel worth, can only be attractive if they're not plus sized and thats not down to the diet companies but down to society in general & being unable to change that we do the next best thing - lose the weight (or try to)
I see a lot of people who say 'starting CD again' or 'going to SS for a few weeks to get back on track.' Not just CD, any diet like it. It's as if they're hooked on the products because the company encourages them to feel it's the only way they can be truly safe around food.
For a lot of people it IS the only way they can feel in control of their food. Its not just the companies making them feel that way, being on some kind of plan IS the ONLY way they can feel in control. Being over weight for a lot of people isn't just about lack of proper diet and exercise - there's usually deeper issues which is why they've turned to food in the first place. I know for me - i'm unable to follow a conventional diet. Its all or nothing and SW or WW just isn't enough.
As for the expensive products i spend a hell of a lot more money on junk food and takeaways per week than i would on Cambridge or slimfast! (shocking i know!)

The next thing people will say (I know i'm generalising) is that if overweight people have such problems that they can't follow a 'normal' healthy eating plan, then why not invest money in the cause behind the eating. Well i can tell you that for me - i've had councelling, i've had a dietician, I've had hypnotherapy, i've been on nutrition courses, i know what a proper diet and exercise is all about, I've been on every diet going and KNOW that slimfast or CD is the ONLY thing i can stick to that works.

(this is just my opinion from my own experiences, so please no-one shout at me! lol)

It'll work for me. I know it will because I'm a stubborn old ******* who won't be proven wrong.

I'm doing 1000 cals at the moment, so amongst other things I'm having a low calorie meal every day. Once the weight comes down and I reach the end of my diet then I'll be moving up to higher calorie meals, whether that be a higher CD step, or maybe a few weeks of Weight Watchers to get me into the low calorie meal mindset. I'll also be working out properly by then so the exercise will support me too.

I refuse to go back up in weight once I'm done with this. I know it's just words and easy to say this but I've got too much to lose by allowing myself to put weight back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back