Why are you overweight?

Eating too much of the wrong stuff and not feeling bad bout it! x

Mine stems back from childhood - we were so poor, with 8 kids, we ate what we could when we could (oh, woe is me, ha!) wasn't always 'good food' (sugar sandwiches!!), add to eating wrong foods at wrong times when I left ome ... the damage was done & then it was eating more all the time to maintain the weight I was carrying!
Sad but true

oh the memories of sugar sandwichs! (suprisingly not too bad thou!)
Mine stems back from childhood - we were so poor, with 8 kids, we ate what we could when we could (oh, woe is me, ha!) wasn't always 'good food' (sugar sandwiches!!), add to eating wrong foods at wrong times when I left ome ... the damage was done & then it was eating more all the time to maintain the weight I was carrying!
Sad but true

I'd say mine was mainly emotional eating due to depression and lack of self respect/self esteem. I'm definitely feeling better about everything these days. Most 'normal' people put it down to greed, but it's usually more complicated than that.

I really, honestly, do not know. Been overweight since my teens. I like chocolate but I have never binged, and long got out of the habit of having desserts. I reckon I eat the same as the people around me. My job used to entail a lot of eating out and nights out in the pub but I've cut them right back over the years, but I still can't work out why they never seemed to put weight on the way I did. Maybe there is such a thing as a fat gene?

It was my second pregnancy that contributed lots to my weight. In the third trimester it is/was (unsure of current guidelines) recommended that you consume an extra 400 calories a day. This applied to breastfeeding too.
Dd2 was 4 months old when I stopped breastfeeding and 3 when I gave up the extra 400 calories :eek:

I would like to blame two children within 2 years but in reality the weight was piling on way before my first pregnancy. In reality a mix between lazyness, trying to have same sized portions as my hubby and using fizzy juices to boost my energy levels so I can manage on 4 hours sleep.

Childhood centered on diets because my mum wanted a partner, I was never allowed to sweets unless she wanted them too, which left me with a bad relantionship with food. Things got out of control when I started suffering from depression and anxiety. Throw in the mix some boredom, lazyness, low self esteem, and a passion for high caloric foods too.

I'd say mine was mainly emotional eating due to depression and lack of self respect/self esteem. I'm definitely feeling better about everything these days. Most 'normal' people put it down to greed, but it's usually more complicated than that.

I think this sums me up perfectly as well. Still facing (and fighting) the Demons....but getting there!

Lacey..xx:)

Not having an "off" switch to the amount of food I can consume. Liking sweet, sugary food (pudding pudding and pudding for me - forget starters and main course!) Depression and bad self image and emotional abuse from my mum and then my ex husband.

same story

eating the same size portions as my 6'4 husband (I'm 5'2"!!), stopping exercising regularly (gave up hockey and basketball) and generally didn't keep an eye on what i was doing. All change now!

I met my hubby, went from energetic job and walking and hour a day to then sitting on my bottom for 3 years at uni. During this time I ate the same as my muscular man, who does a very physical job and ate pretty much what he did, whether hungry or not. I put on 3 stone in our first year together and a couple more in the next 2 years.

That and I couldnt see how big I was, so I didnt stop...doh!!:sign0007:

Ironically recovering from depression, and getting healthy mentally caused me to become unhealthy physically. Stopped thinking about my body. So now one side of me is healthy, I need to heal the other side

A mixture of laziness (lack of exercise / not bothering to cook cos of the hours I was working), not caring about myself and not realising how much of a fat heffa I had become or how bl**dy awful I looked.

Eating too much of the wrong foods, not enough of the right ones, and not exercising.

What people say about "eating less, exercising more" is something I know I need to learn to do, and in principle is the essence of a good weightloss... however I don't believe it's as simple as that.

The reasons behind my eating/exercising habits are linked with boredom, laziness, tiredness and emotional comfort, and these are things which cannot be necessarily "cured" by 'eating less and exercising more' but I know I need to find ways to deal with them!

xx

My mum has never cooked an evening meal for me, I always had my cooked meal at school and sandwiches at home.
This worked fine in primary school, where your food is dumped on a plate for you.
We weren't allowed coke or sweets, cereal was 'junk food' etc.

Then I went to secondary school, and instead of a set meal every day I was given MONEY to buy what I wanted, well, it ended up in the corner shop's tills every morning, and my average lunch was rice and spaghetti hoops :eek:

We got a microwave about the same time, so instead of sandwiches I'd have ready meals :eek: and there were always boxes of cookies around the kitchen.

Earlier this year my friend learnt to drive and after cadets every Monday, we'd visit ASDA and I'd buy a fair few bars of smartprice chocolate, and sit and eat them :eek:
I'd consume about 500 calories of chocolate every day.

I used to do the 'eat less, exercise more' thing every now and again, but I'd stick with it for a week or 2 and hit a plateau, then go back to my old ways :eek:

x

I have a HUGE lack of self-confidence, and eating made me feel safe.

Can I also do the typical teen thing (I'm only 20, and I never really rebelled...) and blame my parents? I don't think they did a bad job with us (I'd like to think they did pretty good...) but it would have been nice to have had a real talk with them. And I pretty much left home with no idea how to plan meals, or anything to do with food (apart from what I learned in school/college) I think one of the only times my weight was ever mentionned was at thanksgiving dinner one year when my brother made a joke about me wanting pie, and then my parents just sat there and didn't say anything.

Now I sound all teen-angsty... sorry about that.

I fully understand, my brother who is older everytime we have an arguement, hes always well atleast im not fat or something, and i would go nuts at mum for never telling him off and she would go " he just does it for a reaction"

Back