Why are you overweight?

I know! I just sat there looking at them looking at him, or looking and their plates, not even saying anything! It's not like they would ever say anything, they just won't stop him when he says something, which is just as bad! Gah! Now I'm all wound up about it...

(and Canadian thanksgiving is tomorrow, so I'll probably be really bitter, and either stick to my diet really well or I'll end up eating non-stop...)

I know! I just sat there looking at them looking at him, or looking and their plates, not even saying anything! It's not like they would ever say anything, they just won't stop him when he says something, which is just as bad! Gah! Now I'm all wound up about it...

(and Canadian thanksgiving is tomorrow, so I'll probably be really bitter, and either stick to my diet really well or I'll end up eating non-stop...)

No wait! Canadatogo..... try and hang in there! Don't blow it, you're stronger than that. Think about how you'll feel after. It wont hurt them if you eat non stop, it'll be you that ends up miserable. Step back from the situation and see yourself how you want to be, you CAN do it. try and break the pattern and don't do what everyone thinks you'll do including yourself.

Good luck Px

A mixture of things. Eating alone, sneakily, chocolate/biscuits/cake which I would feel bad about eating in front of other people. Why? I don't know!
Four children, each pregnancy leaving me a little larger than the last. Tablets which are known to make weight loss difficult.
Denial- looking in the mirror and only really checking out my face, not the rest of me!

Addiction to food, comfort eating, always being told 'no you can't eat that' as a child then having food as a reward leading to confused ideas surrounding food, being teased for being fat.. a lot of things really.

Mine started roughly 5 years ago.

Basically, a combination of things: lack of exercise, large portions at meal times and skipping breakfast. Once I lost my job in 2005 my weight spiralled even more.

What surprised me the most was that despite being self-conscious about my weight, I didn't truly understand just how large I was getting until recently, and then stepping onto the scales was a huge revelation.

Thankfully now I have remedied all the things that contributed to my weight gain and things are changing for the better.

I am overweight because I didn't eat to live - I lived to eat.

Food was a reward when I had been good or had something to celebrate. Food was a comfort when I was sad, ill or depressed. I think this was learned behaviour, cos my mum's exactly the same.

However, I have now broken the cycle. Cut food out of my life completely at the moment on Cambridge Diet. Hopefully when I start to re-introduce food once I've lost the weight I will be recompletely re-educated and use food as fuel, not a crutch.

Val

thinking i was fat since childhood, never feeling full unless i felt sick from eating too much, giving up my nasty diet habits (starving or binge/purgeing) boredom, laziness, takeways, crisps, comfort eating.
any one will do lol theyre all true for me.

Giving up exercise during my mid 20's when work became all encompassing, then thinking i could eat all i wanted whilst preggers as i was 'eating for 2', twice, then going through a really bad divorce (hubbie left for another woman when baby was 5 weeks old). I ate and ate and ate. But ultimately, no matter what the excuses, nobody force fed me. It was all of my own doing. So now i need to undo it!

I have been a huge emotional eater for the past 10 years or so: I eat in secret, I plan food binges, where I can just eat huge amounts of utter junk, I got into the habit of thinking this was an OK thing to do, I didn't cook for myself or look after myself because I just didn't seem to care.

I used food to stop myself feeling. I remember thinking when I came out of the supermarket loaded up with junk: "oh, things will be OK now."

:confused::confused::confused::confused:

Er, what kind of screwed logic is that? Within about 30 minutes I was back to self-loathing. So, I'd throw all the food out in a fit of pique the following morning, start a new "diet", manage maybe a couple of days before the cravings/habit kicked in and I started all over again.

Part of me feels really sad that this happened and it makes me really upset to think how much I must have hated myself. But actually, part of me recognises that this was my fault. I was weak-willed, I didn't try, I mostly caved into the bad habits and forgot what it was like to be normal, to eat 3 square, healthy meals a day.

One day I'm going to count up the number of calories, I could, on average consume in 1 day. The result will be terrifying (and hopefully prove to me once and for all that there is no way back).

Genetics and being a big comfort eater. I'm the middle child, my older brother being my dad's favourite, and my younger brother taking all of my moms attention, so I often felt unwanted and turned to food for comfort. My parents split up when I was nine, and from then on it just got worse.

I put on a few stone and stopped exercising because I was embarassed to be seen doing so. I started eating in secret, lying about my weight and how much I ate, and just was in general denial. I put blame on everyone and everything when really it was me eating too much, not anyone else causing the problem.

Did lots of exercise in school and ate to go with it. Stopped sport when went to uni, but didn't stop eating. Then moved back to parents - ate because I was lonely, bored, up in my room alone in secret. Then ate because I was low in self-confidence/esteem, ate because I was single, ate because I had a car and my own money and I could. Ate because people put me down about my weight and on it goes. 99% of my overeating/binging was in secret. Still have tendancies when my Better Half is away overnight......

FA xx

Stress/lonliness/boredom

Eating made me feel good, because it gave me something to feel bad about, and thus I would forget about the REAL thing I was sad/mad/bored/stressed about

Talk about twsited logic paradoxes!!! :doh:

For about 6 months in 2006 (while on a uni placement and very depressed) my "weapon of choice" was a 400g Dairy Milk bar (yes, almost every day :( )

Yes, 400grams of chocolate containing 2100Kcals, and 120g of fat. And that was on top of lunches and dinners of pizza, crisps, and around 3ltr of Pepsi Max a day :eek:

My god, when I think what I did to myself back then, how I felt, and the effect it's had on the last 3-odd years of my life....well....makes me wanna cry :tear_drop:

Last edited:
I felt entitled to treat myself. Or rather I was scared I would feel even more scared, lonely, bored if I didn't treat myself. Also very early learning from my mum, who taught me not to feel my emotions and eat all your cares away. Not that my weight problems were her fault, I just learnt that cake/chocky/meat pie gravey and mash made me feel wonderful from a very early age, even if being so very much heavier than my peers made my life difficult from as far back as I remember

i had an eating disorder, anorexia, so i lost loads of weight, but i was forced to gain, which led to emotional eating (i've also been diagnosed with clinical depression) so weight flew up due to munching and munching non stop ><

Back