Why are you trying to lose weight?

I've only ever been overweight, my entire life since puberty (thanks PCOS for that kickstart!). My main reason for trying was 'why not' Since I've started losing weight I'm starting to see what *I* look like underneath the fat, I'm experimenting with clothes and finding my own style, I feel more confident (most of the time) and I can move / do more. I want to continue on, until i decide I'm happy at a particular weight. Where I am now is the smallest I've been since I was 18 so from here on in it's an entirely different person I'll be, as I don't think I can compare myself to the 14 year old who hadn't even developed boobs yet!

I'm looking forward to being a better, happily, smaller, fitter version of myself. I already enjoy every day more for the weight I've lost - I know I wouldn't have had the confidence to dosome major things in my life had I not lot the weight so far.

Im losing weight for me! as nice as it is to get compliments off people and defo spurs you on! i just want to feel happier and attractive again instead of hiding my body in jumpers and leggings!

No. 1 reason is for health - after watching my nan suffer a series of strokes over the last 5 years that robbed her of her independance, her mind and finally her life last Christmas.

That was my final wake up call. I realised that could be me in 20-30 years and I didn't want that for myself or my family :(

So I can buy clothes from normal shops without going to the 'fat' ranges. So I do not look at photos and cringe. So I can fit into my favourite dress again!

I want to lose weight so I feel better in my self. I also want to be able to look at a photo of myself and think I look nice rather than thinking my legs/arms/stomach/face etc. look fat!!

Because I felt so sexy and confident when I got together with my partner and now, a stone and a half heavier, I feel horrible. I also hope that losing that weight will help sort out this weird c-sec belly I've got going on!x

I've got c-section belly too! Also hoping losing the weight and exercising will reduce it. Also want to be fit and healthy to see my kids grow up and eventually to run around with grandchildren!

I'm losing weight to look good in clothes - I never think a photo of me is nice because I always think I look chunky in whatever I'm wearing!!

Plus I want to start my 30s in a better shape than I was throughout my 20s!

My main motivation is that I am going to be 50 in January - gosh that's scary to write! I've never lost the weight after I had my daughter (she's 14!!) or from when I gave up smoking. I have gradually gone from a size 12 to a size 20 and now I've had enough! I know I won't be where I want to be by January but hopefully I'll have made a good start.

Good luck to everyone - whatever your reasons!

for health, for looks, for buying some nice fitting clothes in High St chains! to help regulate my periods and hopefully give my last little bit of fertility left a boost before it's too late.

*whispers* and because when watching the Hairy Bikers diet programme, the realisation that I weighed the same as Dave Myers :cry:

Im trying to loose the weight I gained over my pregnancy (son is now 2yrs and I gained 4st eeeeekkkk!) and hopefully be lighter nd healthy with another pregnancy(we are just planning atm) =)

Sent from my magic paint brush using MiniMins

i had my second baby and during my pregnancy i only gained 1st 4lbs, however i was already 2 stone over the weight i wanted to be. Now my son is just over 3 months this thursday and im back to my full term pregnancy weight :( im disgusted with myself if im honest.

Ive always struggled with my weight and always had to work hard to maintain an average size figure ( whatever that is ) but with 2 kids it much harder to attend the gym and dance classes etc

I want to look good and feel good about myself because right now if im totally honest i feel terrible and look equally as bad! at 5ft4 i dont carry extra weight well and ive ran out of ways to hide it. I want to be able to play with my son without being out of breath or stuggling to keep up when he starts to walk /run

at some stage in the next few years i hope to get married ( obviously need to get a ring on my finger first lol ) and when the time comes i dont want the added stress of having to lose weight to get "the perfect dress" planning a wedding is stressful enough

anyway lol rant over hahaha

good luck with your slimming world journey everyone xxxx Jo

I have been a yo yo dieter for years, I told myself i would have the weight off for my daughters wedding last december ..... I didnt I just kept telling myself I would. When i looked at the wedding photos I thought right that's it im sick of being the biggest girl in the pic. So I started going to Zumba classes 3 times a week which I loved, but by enjoying it so much and putting my heart and sole into it I crushed a nerve in my foot and got a condition called plantar fascitis... painful and it meant I had to stop the classes, hence gaining weight again as I wasn't as active. Now my doc has told me ... your body is like scaffolding the more weight you put on it the more chance there is of it collapsing. Im now in the zone and the right frame of mind to do this. Im off to Mexico in April and want to be at target for my holiday

good luck i know you can do it this time because your mind is with it and you are looking forward to going to mexico good luck

Thanks shonaw this is the longest I've stuck at any weight loss programme without missing weeks here and there. I feel motivated this time and it helps that ppl are now starting to notice and comment on my loss .. which can only ever be a good thing :)

i know how you feel i just want to lose weight for me and cant wait for people to notice that i have lost weight

So many reasons accumulated since I was a pre-teen....
I've always had issues/an emotional relationship with food and my weight. Having now had 3 kids (first was a c section so count me in with the weird belly mums) as well as put my body through years of yoyo torture, I decided it's time to tackle my demons so that a) my kids don't develop my old destructive habits and b) so my weight settles naturally at an acceptable level that I can feel happy with.
I had my third baby - a wee boy to join two girls - in April and in a disastrous all guns blazing attempt to slice the weight off, I took on a stupid fad diet and more or less punished myself with very sudden and intensive exercise. From this I learned that I have a heart problem that causes severe palpitation attacks when over-exerted; scared the absolute crap out of myself. I stepped back, realised that I'd only given birth 6 weeks prior and was being extremely hard on myself, which would ultimately lead to burning out, bingeing and regaining all the weight plus more besides.

So, I decided to take some time and really think about what I wanted to achieve. I had just joined SW when I discovered I was expecting my son and knew that though it was for a short time, it had worked wonders for me, so I decided to come back and commit to it 100% for all the reasons I spent the last 4 months considering and the last 20 odd years developing.

Excellent thread...this will be good motivation when it gets tough :)

I want to loose weight for my health and to set a good example for my baby boy who just turned one. I figured getting healthy habits from now will keep him healthy through life and hopefully he won't have to struggle like me. I also want to loose weight before I have another child because carrying around the weight of pregnancy along with already being overweight was difficult for me and made it harder to shed the baby weight after. Hopefully next time round I'll be slimmer and will be able to loose the baby weight by keeping to plan :)

I ate like a pig during pregnancy..... No excuse! I piled on Almost 5 stone out if pure greed! I have just under 2 stone to loose now but it's gonna be hard.

Back