Why atkins

happy&healthy

Just wondering why you decided on Atkins compared to Dukan or paleo?

I found it a hard decision, I really fancied the idea of fruit on paleo, but thought it might trigger cravings, and I can't understand Dukan, Atkins just seems simple yet effective.

X

I read forums on all three diets because I'm interested in the places where they cross over.

Dukan: the pros for me would be being able to eat yogurt, although youre not supposed to have flavoured ones any more so that has mostly lost its appeal. And being able to have extra tomato and butternut squash.

Dukan cons: taking the skin off your chicken and cooking with no butter or oil feels too austere for me - fry light sends me back to my weight watcher days. All the emphasis on low fat unsettles me - I don't believe most low fat products are good for you, and low fat natural foods are low on flavour. I just don't think I'd enjoy the food or feel as happy on Dukan, and apart from veggies there doesn't seem to be as wide a variety of things to eat. As I say it just feels too diety. Atkins is also far easier to eat out on, and as hard as it can be to find emergency snacks on Atkins, it's harder on Dukan. I think most of them are only in mild ketosis if they're in ketosis at all, so I'd also likely be hungrier. Dukan works just as well as Atkins if you can stick to it but I doubt I could.

Paleo in my opinion is the perfect maintenance diet after you lose the weight on low carb / Atkins - but it's not as effective for weight loss itself unless you follow paleo AND cut the carbs right down - which is basically Atkins with a few more rules.

Ps if you fancy fruit on Atkins induction, try rhubarb stewed with sweeteners. It's technically a vegetable and totally allowed.

Thanks moonlight that is a fab idea, I love rhubarb too :)

Yeah I know what you mean about dukan its all the hard bit of low carb but without the good bit - nice flavours, not worrying about a bit or oil or butter. plus I totally agree with you about low fat food. Yes i suppose paleo/primal would be a good maintenance plan.

I agree with everything you have said in your post...found it to be true in my experience with Atkins and Dukan. I have not tried Paleo but you have given me the idea to use it for maintanace once I am done losing the extra weight. Thanks :)

I have done the Dukan diet before and paid a small fortune to sign up to their website. I was never able to stick it out for more than about 6 weeks, food quickly became tasteless and boring without being allowed any fat. The best thing on the Dukan was the pancakes, absolutely loved them, but the rest of it was tedious and dull. My losses on Atkins are the same as they were on Dukan but i get to eat much more tasty things, like steak fried in butter, butter sauces, etc. :).

Back