Why being fat harms a woman's career (but not a man's)

Jim

Big Boy
Being overweight could harm a woman's career prospects and prevent her from being promoted but it presents no barrier for men, a study has shown.

LINK HERE

You find the most interesting articles, Jim! :)

Do you think it has anything to do with a lack of confidence among larger women? I know when I was at my biggest, the last thing I wanted to do was present a report in front of a group of people etc.

I guess this is the world we live in where women are constantly judged by their looks....

:(

Oh i completely agree! Part of the reason Im dieting at the moment is because my contract expires end of April and I will be back on the jobs market. I know I stand a better chance of getting a job if Im at my physical best so thats why I want to be close to goal by mid May!

I think when we see big males at the tops of business - we assume they are big because they live the high life - fine food and lots of wine. When we see big women we just assume they are depressed and comfort binge eat and cant control their emotions. Thats the feeling I get in my office anyway!

It was certainly true for me, I had several job offers when I was 20+ Stone, no problems at all.

Sorry but no.

Being morbidly obese affects a man's career. I don't doubt it is less damaging, but I've seen it far too often for it to not affect a man's career.

I got promoted right about the time I reached a normal weight....

Interesting, maybe my CV outweighed my weight then? You have to remember I have a 40 ear career in IT.

I think it is definately based on a confidence thing. I won Apprentice of the Year when i lost weight cos i was so much more confident and it made me better at my job.

Now when i am at work i am afraid to make a mistake and that makes my work suffer.

unfortunatly this is how the world works....we do everything with our eyes...even eat (we see nice food and then we want to eat)...

so if we see an attractive person, we would much rather talk and interact with them.

and about the obese man vs obese woman. firstly we should consider males are already more successful than womem in jobs, this bbc program said that 94% of the higher positions in central london is held by men.

and larger man being succesful is not really a new thing. in our history class, my teacher said that in victorian or henry times, men used to stuff clothing in their bellies to appear bigger. this showed signs of wealth and success aparently.

ive not had a propper job yet, but i can understand how people open up to me more when i was in better shape.

i think maybe people dont like the idea of a larger unattractive woman?...woman are naturally pretty, have nice eyes, hair etc, and if we see a unattractive one, maybe it dont suit. where as men can be unattractive and large because theyre roles in history have been more as providers and workers? i dunno...interesting though...

I am not sure how I feel about the men v. women thing, but I know from experience that being overweight hampers getting a job/promotion. People see you as lazy and prone to sickness. It's a drag, especially when you have worked hard at uni, or at your job, and doors just keep shutting in your face.

I sure this is going to majorly annoy people but here it is:
If you are a woman who is driven enough to get to the 'highest levels of management' (considering we are still told that there is a glass ceiling for women) then chances are you are the type of woman who is driven enough to stick to a diet and maintain. I'm not for one second saying I support the fat = lazy stereotype and I know that there is so much more to weight loss then just focus. But from experience the the girls getting top marks on my university course were also the ones who would forget to eat because they were so busy studying etc. Most of these women lead very unhealthy lifestyles and are also obsessive. But if you push yourself to be a successful business women chances are you won't accept second best and that goes for your weight as well.

I know its not the same for everyone and I'm sure there are women out there who are successful in their careers yet struggle with their weight. Having just graduated from uni I'm trying to loose weight because I know at the end of the day I need to be slimmer in order to have success in my career. Its completely wrong that our society is the way that it is. Inevitably overweight people get labelled as 'lazy' which can be completely untrue but people assume that because you are fat you must be too lazy to loose weight without even considering how difficult loosing weight actually is.

I also think the reason there are more overweight men in these roles is simply because there are more men.
Women are bombarded with images telling us thin = successful whereas men aren't.

I sure this is going to majorly annoy people but here it is:
If you are a woman who is driven enough to get to the 'highest levels of management' (considering we are still told that there is a glass ceiling for women) then chances are you are the type of woman who is driven enough to stick to a diet and maintain.

Our Chief Exec at CHS was a big woman, Cynthia weighed more than me and I was getting near 20 stone then. But she was a very hard woman, very hard indeed.

Our Chief Exec at CHS was a big woman, Cynthia weighed more than me and I was getting near 20 stone then. But she was a very hard woman, very hard indeed.

There's always exceptions to the rule but in my experience women who are very driven are like it all aspects of their life. Perhaps she felt comfortable in her weight and it wasn't holding her back in anyway? As I said I am sure there are successful women out there who still struggle with their weight.

I'm sure you're right love, and I agree that men don't get bombarded with the same images.

i believe that is 100% true...its not as bad being a overweight man compared to a overweight woman...its sad but true.

I've never found my weight an issue on the job front but then, without meaning to sound arrogant, I'm very good at my job, so much so I now have my own business. Also helps that I'm a bundle of self-conviction and confidence on the job front - if only I could apply the same zeal and control when it comes to food, sigh!

Self-esteem may play a part - an overweight person may not project themselves well in interview if not comfortable in themselves. Better to go in on temp to perm basis perhaps.

I left school hoping to walk into a job. I went to an interview to do secretarial work for a photographer and didn't get the job. Dad said if I'd looked like a dolly bird I'd have got it! That should've only been an issue if I was looking to model for him lol. I heard from a reliable source a couple mos later he was a bit of a perv anyhow, tried to cop off with a young girl who worked for him, and him married, plus he was rare looking!:D

My first job in a factory packing line was traumatic. At lunchtime I would be sat among other people who were all lunching together and me on my own with noone even trying to talk to me.:(

I got an office job in a factory after that but was "let go" after a mix up with a batch of orders. An old bat said she'd do one list and me the other, then when I was asked for the orders that she said she would take I told them I was doing one list and her the other, she denied it and I was sacked.:rolleyes:

Very important lesson for all people in all jobs, there: Document everything. I had one employer put me through hell trying to get rid of me (because suddenly they had one too many Cisco engineers, and we were very expensive, and I was the most recently-hired one). Instead of just being honest and making me redundant, they went the constructive dismissal route.

And because I'd documented everything, it cost them far more than making me redundant would've :D

Back